Cat damage - dubman
I am trying to ascertain the cause of damage to a 6 month old catalytic converter.
The car began running badly and was driven gently back to base - approx 1 mile. At which point it was revved very hard by a '3rd party'to try to drive it onto a ramp. Black smoke ensued at that point. The problem turned out to be HT leads, causing poor ignition. Is it likely that the cat damage occued as a result of the drive home or the high revving - which would have put far more unburnt fuel into the exaust and cat??

Look forward to some opinions!
Cat damage - Roberson
What kind of damage are we talking about?

Mine failed (at 106000miles/12 years). The only thing I put mine down to was it age, and the fact that for a few months it was driven around with a failing dizzy, which made it misfire/not start.

As a result, the monolith within collapsed. Excess fuel, when put through a catalyst, burns. This causes the monolith to overheat and it melts/breaks up, which will eventually manifest itself as a metallic rattle from the catalyst itself or failed emissions test.

Not really that 'up' on cats, but I would have thought that it would have survived a trip of 1 mile.
Cat damage - Adam {P}
I drove around with a failed coil pack for a few days and my cat's fine.

I wouldn't worry./
Cat damage - wemyss
Wish I knew myself dubman..Mine failed and partially blocked at 30K on a Vectra diesel.
Took the main dealer days to find the reason for loss of power and management light on and it ultimately cost a fortune.
The Service manager asked me if it had been replaced before as it looked brand new externally.
Overfueling...engine oil...??