Scenic II Tyres - BobbyG
My car is currently in for service and they have phoned to say I need 2 new front tyres. Car has done 17500 miles.

1. Is this normal mileage for a set of tyres, they are not low profile or anything? Thought I used to get much more out a pair of tyres.

2. They are quoting me £82.62 per tyre (Continentals) which are what is on just now. I will phone round for prices but does anyone know if that is a good price and whether I should stay with Contis or move to some other make?
Scenic II Tyres - Xileno {P}
There seems to be a view (from the Parkers site) that Continentals don't match particularly well with the suspension setup of the Scenic and Megane. However my Megane has done 14K and its Continentals are wearing perfectly evenly and well.

Unless they are illegal, I would take it elsewhere for the tyres. It's a competitive sector, there are some good deals around if you spend maybe 20 mins on the phone.
Scenic II Tyres - BobbyG
Thanks for that, I did a forum search on here, Parkers and Renault Forums. General consensus is there seems to be problems but most of the reported ones seem to be low profiles?

Anyway phoned round and the cheapest Contis I could get were £2 cheaper so I told dealer just to go ahead. I have never ever allowed dealers to fit tyres to my car before. She did say they were being very competitive with their tyre prices. I suppose she was right.

Thanks Xileno.
Scenic II Tyres - IanJohnson
Wait until you get the car back. had my son's corsa serviced recently at a vauxhall main dealer and they rang to say it needed 2 rear tyres as it was down to 2mm. I said no as I knew it had 5mm left. It is a revenue generation exercise!
Scenic II Tyres - BobbyG
Ian, I don't think the dealer are conning me. I had a check of the tyres recently and thought they looked a bit borderline so just going to go ahead and get them done. Thanks anyway.
Scenic II Tyres - BB
SWMBO Migraine 2 had all 4 tyres replaced at or before the first service at 18,000. 205/45/17. I replaced them with Michelin as they are a harder compound.
Scenic II Tyres - BobbyG
To cut a long story short, tyres were not fitted today.

Can anyone tell me what depth the marker is on the tread? Is it at 1.6mm or is it deeper? Tread is still not flush with the marker, I reckon maybe as much as another 2mm still available on top of marker?
Scenic II Tyres - Dynamic Dave
Normally 1.6 mm.

www.kwik-fit.com/changing-tyres.asp

It used to be 1 mm before the law was changed. If you've got old tyres fitted, they may still have 1 mm thread wear indicators.

Lots of tyre companies recommend tyres should be changed when they've worn down to 2 mm though.