Starter motor stuck on Fiat Punto - Millers57
I recently purchased a Fiat Punto 55 (1.1L) N reg 91k miles for my sons birthday tommorrow 28/10 this being his first car.Yesterday I went to move it off the drive & it failed to start.I charged the battery overnight thinking this was the fault but when I refitted it today no joy.I decided to call the AA & it turned out to be a jammed starter.It was freed by a light tap with a hammer whilst firing the engine.My question is the starter likely to be a problem now it has failed once or should it be replaced.
I would appreciate any suggestion give my son is a student on a tight budget,
thanks in advance,
Millers57.
Starter motor stuck on Fiat Punto - Altea Ego
Yup it wil happen again. Whole lot needs to come out for a clean or a recon unit.
Starter motor stuck on Fiat Punto - Civic8
Would suspect a recon is needed,clean up may only correct the fault for short time!
--
Steve
Starter motor stuck on Fiat Punto - MW
It may be sticking because the pinion is covered in gunge and dust. If it is it may be worth cleaning it all up in Gunk, and drying everythig well. Make sure all is freed off and sliding easily. Are the teeth a little chewed up. If so you need a recon unit. Check the price anyay, as if its resonable it might be worth poping in a new one, if the old one is out anyway, thats half the job done. You will probably never have confidence in the old one.
I asked a local fast fit for a price & they quoted £140 fitted,£105 to do yourself.Is this a fair price as it was more than I expected.
Millers57.
Starter motor stuck on Fiat Punto - MW
I am not a FIAT man, but why not ring around. I am sure a good car factor or good parts shop can supply a recon unit a bit cheaper.
Starter motor stuck on Fiat Punto - tvr john
i suggest you ring a couple of local motor factors too!!! you should pick up a recon starter for about 60 quid max.
Starter motor stuck on Fiat Punto - Reggie
On a car this age I'd look for a second-hand starter. It is highly unlikely that you'll get one that will also be faulty.

Then it should be a lot cheaper. I use a place at Kexby near York for Fiat spares (for my sons Punto). Not the friendliest chap, but good on price.

Reggie
Starter motor stuck on Fiat Punto - sierraman
I f doing it yourself get an auto electrician to rebuild it.Mine charges £27(plus VAT if you want a receipt ;).Exchange recon at factors around £60.
I manage to locate a new starter on Ebay at Marshall Genuine Parts of Cambridge for £10 + £6 postage with next day delivery.Hope to fit tomorrow,
Millers57