Honda CBR600 - Greg R
I am considering the purchase of the Honda CBR 600cc and being young at 22 years old am wodnering how much it will cost to run this type of machine in terms of insurance, petrol, servicing etc.

Thanks for your help.

Greg
Honda CBR600 - R75
I ran a YZF600R a couple of years ago, cant comment on insurance as there are too many variables - but I imagine it will be high, petrol wise I used to get about 135 miles to a 15ltr tank or less if I was feeling throttle happy. Servicing was not too bad about £80 a time IIRC, and depending on how throttle happy you are expect tyres to last about 5-8000 miles at roughly £180 per set for a decent brand, although I had one set that only lasted for 3000 miles ;o) Costs may have gone up though since I last rode.
Honda CBR600 - cheddar
Which model Honda is it, if a recent CBR600RR it will be very quick though pretty uncomfortable if you are over 5' 6", the the 'F' model is probably the best alrounder of the current sport 600's though not as sharp as the RR, R6, ZX6R etc. However perhaps it is an earlier bike, CBR600's have been pretty good 1991 model on if well looked after. Presumably if you are intersted in economy it is because you are going to commute on it, reckon on mid 40's best, tyres - sports touring tyres such as Bridgestone BT020's should last well, the rear for up to 6k miles unless you cane it though softer super sport tyres such as the BT014, Dunlop D208R's etc will not last as well though will be more fun. Servicing - not sure of the intervals on the Honda's off hand, if you are going to do a high mileage commute it is worth concidering a Yamaha because they have very long intervals re valve clearance checks, even a 15500 rpm R6 only needs a check every 27000 miles where as my 11000 rpm ZRX 1100 needs checking every 7500. If insurance is an issue on a sports 600 then a Faser or Hornet would certainly not be a poor substitute, the Bandit is softer again though still stella by car standards.
Honda CBR600 - bikemade3
What about the Yamaha Thundercat, very under rated sports 600, not as fast steering as the current crop of sport 600,s but on par with the CBR 600 at it's time of release, just as reliable but more comfortable and probably a better bet for commuting.
Honda CBR600 - SjB {P}
Or the Hornet CB600.

Quicker in the first few gears than a CBR600 thanks to shorter gearing yet still capable of a licence losing 140MPH, it is cheaper to insure than the CBR600 largely because it doesn't have any expensive body panels to replace if it gets dropped. With pin sharp handlng, a great riding position that aids high speed control, carving the twisties, and low speed trickling through traffic, decent pillion seat (my wife and I tour with our Hornet) bomb proof 1998 generation CBR600 powertrain and many of the ancilliaries, and Fireblade wheels and tyres, you can't really go wrong. There's also the lovely looks. The cult following didn't happen for no reason!

I purchased mine as a first big bike on passing my test, and over seven years later still have it and haven't tired of it.
Honda CBR600 - cheddar
Agree re Thundercat, has FZR600R motor, development of 1989 FZR600 engine and simlilar to engine in Faser, they can go on for mega mileages and, as I said re R6, 27k intervals for valve clearances. I also agree re Hornet though a faired bike is more comfortable for a longish motorway/fast 'A' road commute.
Honda CBR600 - Vansboy
Have a word with Nick, at www.forcemotorcycles.com - he's got one on his site 2000W reg - not from the Police or MoD though (most of his stock, is)

He knows his stuff, even if your not local to him, I'm sure he'd be happy to chat with you & give some good advice.

You'll still never get me back on a bike!!

VB
Honda CBR600 - SjB {P}
Forgot to mention insurance earlier:

I'm now 41, so was 34 when I passed my test, and live in Aylesbury, Bucks. The bike is alarmed, immobilised, and garaged. Modifications are the extremely effective and very attractive half fairing that allows us to do the aforementioned touring (unfortunately it was also quite expensive!) and Goodridge brake hoses (Huuuuuge difference in braking effort and feel). The fairing also includes a headlight shared with one of the Bimotas that is daylight compared with the weedy standard one (later Hornets have a superb standard fit headlight).

When I passed my test insurance was £569.
Now, including the mods that are all declared, it is £109 (excluding some extra benefits I pay for that are effectively another insurance)
Honda CBR600 - bikemade3
Bit surprissed no one has yet mentioned a Kwaka ZZR600 fastest of the 600's in the last 80's early 90's. Plenty around good for high mileage, good comfort and if you sort the handling out with stiffer springs will stay with the majority of current 600's.

I'm now 36, was 29 when I passed my test, and live in Taunton, Somerset. Bike is alarmed and Garaged. Protected fully comp £160 Bike Honda CBR1000F s 1995 the reason it's so cheap is the bike is a group 14 and semi classic as it's 10 years old.

My choice if i was you Thundercat or ZZR600, but that's persoanl option.
Honda CBR600 - cheddar
Bit surprissed no one has yet mentioned a Kwaka ZZR600 fastest
of the 600's in the last 80's early 90's. >>

The 1989 on FZR600 Yamaha was 600 king in the early 90's, lightest and sweetest steering. The '90 model on had twin piston calipers which gave great braking compared with other 600's of the day, the 1991 model went to a single squarish headlight though the the '90 model with twin round headlights in white looked just like the OW01 superbike king at 1/4 of the price.
Honda CBR600 - bikemade3
The 1989 on FZR600 Yamaha was 600 king in the early
90's, lightest and sweetest steering. The '90 model on had twin
piston calipers which gave great braking compared with other 600's of
the day, the 1991 model went to a single squarish headlight
though the the '90 model with twin round headlights in white
looked just like the OW01 superbike king at 1/4 of the
price.

But at the time lots of ZZR 600's were sold as the smaller brother to the ZZR1100 hyper monster.ZZR600 still a good bike for the time, and 15 years later i believe it is still available: therefore they can't be that bad.
Honda CBR600 - J Bonington Jagworth
What do you have at present? It might be worth buying something intermediate that would be cheaper to run and insure, and get a few more miles' experience before buying something with that sort of performance. I know there are quicker bikes, but it is still more rapid than almost anything on four wheels and the insurance actuaries aren't entirely misguided when they assess the risks for youngsters.

Sorry to sound like an old fogey, but I have a lot of fun on my 500 twin, and it is very cheap to run...
Honda CBR600 - Greg R
For my sister, I am looking for a really good bike. It must be:

1. The most reliable one around
2. Easy to maintain.
3. Good insurance group (that means low cost)
4. Good on fuel
5. Reasonable parts prices.

Something like the CG125 but in bigger form.

What would best fit the bill?

Thanks again.
Honda CBR600 - Greg R
I have looked at the cb500 which seems a brilliant bike. But they don't make it any more and the access to spark plug and other items on the cbr600 is not great. What other bikes are out there that fit my bill!
Honda CBR600 - Armitage Shanks {p}
Suzuki Bandit?
Honda CBR600 - bazza
I'm looking at Bandits in the same context, also the new CBF 600 Honda might suit.
Honda CBR600 - martint123
Honda Hornet, Suzuki Bandit, Yamaha Fazer - all good and reliable.
I wouldn't put too much emphasis on how easy it is to get to the sparkplugs - the days of oiling up twostroke plugs is well over. My bike isn't the eaiest to work on, but I can change the plugs in 30 minutes, not too bad for every 12000 miles or whatever. Now changing 20 valve shims every 24000 miles is a different matter!.

Martin
Honda CBR600 - bikemade3
Of the 3 choice's i'ld pick the Fazer, Bandit underpowered needs stirring to make "progress". Hornet has a dismal range Care off it's liking for juice and the small tank.

Would not consider the CBF600 you'll probably get bored after a short while.

What about a VFR750 from around mid 1990's very good, very reliable and when it comes to sell they hold their value, good all weather bike.

Honda CBR600 - R75
What about the BMW F650, can be lowered to accomadate the shorter person, nice single pot engine and iirc not too bad on insurance.