A New Licence - Duchess
I have a driving licence in the sense that I passed my test **years ago and haven't been disqualified. I don't have a driving licence in that I can't find the pink and green scrap of paper.

My employer is hassling me for a copy (after 12 years, they think about this?). So I guess I have to get a duplicate. I checked on the dvla website and of course I have to have a photocard licence. But because I don't have the old licence, I have to send either my passport or birth and marriage certificates. I use my passport too often to send it away for weeks so that's not an option. I have a birth certificate but not the other so I suppose I have to track down where that's held and apply for a copy.

Are there any alternatives? Short of resitting my test, that is.

And in the meantime, what would happen if I got pulled over by the police? How can I produce a licence that I don't have? Or can they tell that I have a valid licence from some magical database?

A New Licence - AR-CoolC
I have just changed over to the photo card at the same time as changing my address, and had to send my passport as proof of identity. I had the passport back within a week and the license within 10 days.
A New Licence - No FM2R
Arent't some post offices able to verify the documetns for you face to face and then send the form off checked and hand the docs back to you.
A New Licence - patently
Quicker to send the docs to Swansea than wait in some Post Office queues, though.

;-)
A New Licence - AN Other
Yes, Post Offices can do this, for a fee. They will check your original docs and verify authenticity.

Should be a reasonably quick process, costs about £5 I think, but prefereable to sending off your originals.
A New Licence - hillman
Old age is catching up and the DVLA is taking an interest in me. I sent my request off last weekend per registered delivery, including passport etc. I'm waiting with bated breath to see if my usual bad luck asserts itself again.
A New Licence - patpending
(Main) Post Office is a good place to go. Otherwise, the DVLA have regional offices where you can go and hold on to your documents, especially round London but also nationally.

Among other things, you will need your required proof of identity and a photo in which you are not smiling (a new requirement for digital matching) (unless you have a passport where your signature is digital and on the same page as the photo, in which case you may empower the DVLA to check with the Passport Office).

If you have lost your previous licence you will probably have to sign an undertaking to return it should you ever find it.

HTH

pat
A New Licence - Duchess
The Post Office idea never occurred to me - thanks a lot guys, it will save me a lot of grief!

A New Licence - L'escargot
<< and marriage certificates. ......I have a birth certificate but
not the other so I suppose I have to track down
where that's held and apply for a copy.

To obtain a copy you need to apply to the register office, most likely in the area in which you were married.
--
L\'escargot.
A New Licence - sierraman
I had to do this recently,there is somewhere on the form where you can get someone to vouch for you,they have to have known you for a number of years,sent that and BC and all was well.
A New Licence - spottydog
You can also order birth, death, marriage certificates online for England & Wales at www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
A New Licence - L'escargot
What annoyed me when I had to apply for a photocard licence was trying to find someone to attest that the photograph was one of me. I ended up having to pay my GP £20.
--
L\'escargot.
A New Licence - AlastairW
This is a valuable source of income for your GP - a licence to print money you could say.