MPG vs gms CO2 / km - why not equivalen - Boltar
Hi

I've noticed that the mpg figure for vehicles and their grammes of CO2 per km are not linear. Ie one car that does 30 mpg may say produce 150 g/km whereas another that does 30 mpg may produce 175 g/km. Why? Surely if you burn the same amount of fuel per distance you produce the same amount of CO2 per the same distance - the chemistry of burning the fuel doesn't change. So how can the g/km figures vary so much between cars that use the same fuel type and have the same mpg?

MPG vs gms CO2 / km - why not equivalen - mfarrow
Probably because both values are measured at or over different engine speeds and conditions.

The different speed vs power/torque characteristics of different engines can contribute to car A being better than car B in the standardised urban consumption test, but car B better than car A in the extra urban test.

If you measured both MPG and CO2/km at the same speed for each vehicle then I'm sure you would get the same answer if MPG was equal.

--------------
Mike Farrow
MPG vs gms CO2 / km - why not equivalen - mfarrow
If you measured both MPG and CO2/km at the same speed
for each vehicle then I'm sure you would get the same
answer if MPG was equal.

Clarification: I mean keep the speed equal for both MPG and CO2/km readings, not keep speed the same for each vehicle.

--------------
Mike Farrow