Automatic wipers and lights - kal
I recently noticed that cars know come with automatic wipers and automatic lighting. Frankly are these new fangled car electronics really required are they not a waste of time. Any person unable to turn on the wipers or lights by him/her self should not be on the road!
Automatic wipers and lights - Adam {P}
Yeah but you could say the same for any person unable to unwind a window, cadence brake, navigate themselves, cushion themselves when they hit the windscreen at 70mph etc.

Required? No. Desired? Yes.
Automatic wipers and lights - machika
Only desired if they operate properly.

Actually, the automatic lights are probably the best of the two, as I have driven away at night on a few occasions, on brightly lit streets, having forgot to switch the lights on. Also I have seen lots of people driving in very poor light who refuse, or just don't think it is necessary to put their lights on.

As far as automatic wipers are concerned, they can be a pain if they don't operate properly, it usually being a case of wiping too often for the amount of rain on the screen. Give me a car with an ajdustable intermittent wipe any time.
Automatic wipers and lights - Big Bad Dave
"Any person unable to turn on the wipers or lights by him/her self should not be on the road"

Wipers don?t work like that, you still have to switch them on. Then they wipe when they see fit, just like on intermittent but with irregular intervals. When it stops raining, you switch them off. Dunno about lights, we have to have them on all the time here.
Automatic wipers and lights - cockle {P}
I don't really think it's that desirable.

Just imagine the secondhand resale value of one of these cars with faulty circuitry that prevents the wipers or lights coming on, basically scrap value if the manufacturers follow their usual policy with vehicle electronics i.e. work out the price of the components add on a standard motor industry profit margin of 1000% and double it because it's electronic. Scrappies will be full of cars that are perfectly good apart from the wipers that don't work but aren't worth more than the, say, £600 for a new control unit.

I'm not really cynical, it's just life that makes me seem it.
Desirable was the wrong word to use. But I needed a catchy phrase to end my post.
I?m a gadget freak. If it?s been invented, I want it.
I'll second that.

I can't wait for the day they invent cars that change gear for you.
Automatic wipers and lights - SjB {P}
Daytime running lights on my V70 that are in fact a dipped beam circuit permanently on; great

Rain sensing wipers; great, and work just great too. As I found out on the first day I had the car they also react a lot faster than I can to a truck going the other way driving through a deep puddle long after it stopped raining. With the road otherwise dry and the wipers thus initially "off", they were running flat out before I had even started to move my hand from the wheel.

Auto dipping (in many discrete steps) rear view mirror; great, also reacting a damned sight faster than I can, and allowing full concentration on the road.

"His n hers" memory position seats and door mirrors linked to whichever keyfob unlocks the car; great and a real fiddle factor saver

I could probably think of more convenience features that I like, but there is one that I don't; anything other than a full clutch and stick gearbox. There's something very satisfying about well executed, mechanically sympathetic gear changing that is a key part of driving to me, and I don't do enough city or traffic jam driving to change my mind (work from home or drive to an airport in the wee hours). I've been driving for nearly 25 years and I'm not bored with it yet! ;-)
Automatic wipers and lights - AR-CoolC
To be fair cockle they are actually very simple devices with very little to go wrong.

Don't stop the dealers charging a fortune for them though.
Automatic wipers and lights - Stuartli
I find the automatic wipers brilliant - operate only when necessary and at the right speed for the particular conditions.

Much better than trying to adjust the rate manually if there are varying rainy conditions.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Automatic wipers and lights - PhilW
"faulty circuitry that prevents the wipers or lights coming on,"
I'm sure my grandad said that when they introduced electric lights instead of those acetylene thingys, and those electric wiper thigs operated by an inefficient switch on the dashboard. As for electric starters, let's go back to starting handles.
Rain sensitive wipers - brilliant, as stuart says!

Phil
Automatic wipers and lights - pd
Automatic wipers are useful, particularly in varying rain. Auto wipers don't just switch on and off - they only do a wipe when necessary so avoid endless fiddling trying to get that "just right" intermittant setting. To my mind anything which removes the need to think about peripheral things and allows more concentration on the road its self is a safety bonus.

Auto lights I can see less point to.
Automatic wipers and lights - pd
Just one more thing: every car I've come across with a rain sensor has a "fail safe" setting where if the sensor fails the wiper control reverts to a standard intermittant/slow/fast options.
Automatic wipers and lights - rtj70
Had auto dimming rear-view mirror/wipers on a VW Passat and Mondeo.

Auto dimming mirror I like a lot and the same for wipers. With VW wipers, you'd leave them on and they'd be off when you next start. But a quick change to the interval (variable) would get them going.

On the Mondeo they are on upon next ignition if left on (so beware icy screen... switch off and turn on heated windscreen). And you cannot change interval like the VW. So personally not so happy.

As for auto-lights... I use them but can easily turn on lights and sometimes:

- you go under a bridge and they turn on and are not needed... others probably think you're a bit strange (or lazy if they knew)
- sometimes you want them on but they don't turn on... so you could manually turn them on... but you become lazy and want to leave on auto ... so above point becomes true... :-)

Would I want all three, probably... and next car in 2007 when it's brand new is likely to have them all and more.
Automatic wipers and lights - NowWheels
I can't see much use for auto-on headlights: I switch them on before moving off, regardless of daylight (and I wish other drivers did the same).

What would be useful would be a very intelligent auto-dipping system. I'm sure it'd be a difficult thing to create, but night driving on winding country roads needs plenty of concentration -- which is not helped by having to keep one hand permqnently poised over the main-beam switch.
>>standard intermittant/slow/fast options.>>

I have this choice (fully variable) as well via the windscreen wiper stalk but prefer the automatic wipers setting.
Automatic wipers and lights - Altea Ego
Wipers should be mounted from the top of the screen. A black motor inside the car above the screen should drive one arm, and a mechanical link to the other. It should have one (slow) speed with a single crome switch on the side of the black motor to turn it on and off.
Wipers should be mounted from the top of the screen. A
black motor inside the car above the screen should drive one
arm, and a mechanical link to the other. It should have
one (slow) speed with a single crome switch on the side
of the black motor to turn it on and off.

Sounds to me like a dodgy piece of fancy new-fangled gadgetry. What's wrong with the normal windscreen which folds down so that you can wipe off the rain?
What's wrong with the normal windscreen which folds down so that you can wipe off the rain?>>

You wouldn't be able to get at it...:-)

We used to have an Austin 8 with a windscreen that was hinged at the top so you could have perfect air conditioning. It also had a foot mounted dipswitch and a rear screen blind (operated by a piece of string ending with an O-ring) to stop being "dazzled" from behind...:-))
Automatic wipers and lights - Avant
"We used to have an Austin 8 with a windscreen that was hinged at the top so you could have perfect air conditioning"

Yes, wan't that a terrific idea! The curved windscreen put paid to that, sadly, but after that we still had front quarterlights until the Ford Cortina gave us facia vents.

The quarterlights were great - in wet weather you opened them a little to demist the screen; in hot weather you turned them right back and got a glorious blast of good fresh air in your face.

Happy days!
>>The quarterlights were great >>

Especially for smokers...:-)
Automatic wipers and lights - sierraman
>>The quarterlights were great >>
Especially for smokers...:-)

and car thieves....
Automatic wipers and lights - commerdriver
Wipers should be mounted from the top of the screen.

The problem with that is the little trickle that runs off the bottom edge of the blade right in front of the driver when you switch them off
Automatic wipers and lights - machika
Auto lights I can see less point to.

>>

If you are driving in heavy rain, with the wipers on automatic, the headlights normally come on to prevent driving without lights in reduced visibility. A good idea really.

Bear in mind that there are usually override settings, so that you can choose to have no lights, dimmed lights, etc. I find the biggest problem with automatic wipers is that they don't always adjust properly to the amount of rain on the windscreen.
Automatic wipers and lights - mfarrow
Have they improved since the 306? My only experience of automatic wipers, and was put off by the things juddering to a momentary stop at the end of travel even in heavy rain.

Lights would be a good one. I see cars on the motorway in near darkness with sidelights on only.

--------------
Mike Farrow
I seriously think we could do a lot worse than to have DRL's on all cars.

Auto lights too for the reasons stated above.

Automatic wipers and lights - IanJohnson
I find the automatic wipers on the Honda a godsend - react far quicker to changes in rain/spray than I can.

Auto lights I find less useful - drove a colleagues C-Class last year and it turned the lights on OK but seemed unable to turn them off again when we stopped. Honda have the best idea - with the dash display lit up during the day at a reasonable level the glare at night makes you turn the lights on to dim it!
Automatic wipers and lights - Xileno {P}
I like all these gadgets on my Renaults. And if you don't like them, you can disable the automatic headlights anyway. Also the wipers can be disabled with a piece of tape over the sensor (my idea, not a recommendation by Renault...)

No these things are not 'needed' but they all add up to making the ownership experience a bit different.
Automatic wipers and lights - NARU
I'm amazed just how many of these gadgets are on mainstream cars. My Mondeo has the auto lights, the auto wipers and the auto dimming rear view mirror. It also puts the heated windscreen on automatically on cold mornings.

Could live without any of them, but they all contribute to a car which is so easy to live with.
Automatic wipers and lights - rcspeirs
My Vectra has auto wipers and auto dipping mirror. As with comments from others, I am very impressed with the wipers. They react quickly and effectively. Their only failing is that they get confused by high humidity levels in the Rotherhithe Tunnel and can do odd things in there.
As for the auto dipping mirror. I hate it. Useless. It does not remove dazzle at all. Not impressed with that at all.
Automatic wipers and lights - runboy
Auto wipers on my Avensis are generally good. Quick to react when spray from oncoming vehicles hits the screen so a good safety feature there.

I find they take longer to respond at night for some reason-maybe the sensor is based on light through the droplets.....

Only issue is when they screen is iced up-if you forget to turn the wipers of before starting the engine and wipers are stuck to the screen.....could be interesting as ice will set them off......
>>It does not remove dazzle at all>>

That's in direct contrast to the VW version - it's both very effective and very quick both to dim and return to normal.
>>It does not remove dazzle at all>>
That's in direct contrast to the VW version - it's both
very effective and very quick both to dim and return to
normal.
- - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - -

Agree-with the auto dimmer in my Avensis it works a treat. One of those things I thought was over-hyped, but having had it-nice and easy on the eyes.

Now the next car I get must have auto-dimming door mirrors too!
Another useful feature that's not been mentioned is the ability to first close all open windows (and sunroof if fitted) with a twist of the key in the front doors or boot lid and then lock the car with the remote control's key. Particularly handy in summer.
Automatic wipers and lights - daveyjp
Or in the case of the Audi the ability to open or close all the windows using the remote. I saw this as a gimmick, but during the summer opening the windows before getting in was very useful. Auto wipers on Audi very good, hardly ever turn them off, auto lights useful at this time of year as I drive round with lights on most the time anyway during winter.
I turned my automatic lights off, I found as I drove under bridges they would come on. Being tight fisted, I didn't want to wear the bulbs out.
Automatic wipers and lights - cheddar
My Mondeo has global opening/closing, can poke the remote key at the front window 5 mins before getting in the car on a hot day and open all windows and sun roof, likewise any open windows/sunroof can be closed from the remote when locking the car.

I have driven various cars with auto wipers and would rather have variable intermitent any day, likewise I am capable of deciding when to switch my lights on or off.
Variable intermittent and auto function - Renault gives you both.
Variable intermittent and auto function - Renault gives you both.

Yes but it is either / or, you cannot vary the delay yourself when it is on auto.
When the intermittent function cuts in when the water on the sensor reduces, you can vary the interval. If you then pass a lorry for example and get sprayed, they go onto auto full time until the rain clears. Then back to intermittent where you can vary it, then when the screen is dry they stop completely.

Is this the same as yours?
Is this the same as yours?

My Mondeo does not have rain sensing wipers, I take care of that alonf with changing gear and turning corners. However cars that I have driven with auto and variable intermitent, Peugeot, Renault, Jeep and BMW IIRC have either been on fully auto or if you want to vary the delay yourself you have switch to intermitent wipe.
>>Variable intermittent and auto function - Renault gives you both.>>

A point I made earlier about VW models. But I've always used the auto mode as it is so effective.
I can unlock my Peugeot from the six floors up. That?s further than I can see.
I'll bet that was a fun day finding that out Dave.
My brother in law could only do four floors with his Vectra. It was a day of celebration I can tell ya.
I remember having a hire car that was one of the first Vectras, late 1995, the remote worked best part of half a mile away, I then got a Vectra co car a few months later, a 2.0 SRi, and was disapointed that it's remote only worked over a hundred yards or so.
When there is a key fob olympic team, I?ll be on it.
I used to be able to do it from teh living room. It was great flashing the lights at our unsuspecting next door neighbour every time she walked past.

Now I have to press the key furiously at a distance no more than 2 metres away to get it to work.

I can say the head trick doesn't work.
I used to be able to do it from teh living
room. It was great flashing the lights at our unsuspecting next
door neighbour every time she walked past.

somebody needs to get out more ...
Do you favour the "remote against side of head and mouth open" technique Dave?
Running at the car whilst humming at a frequency of 673.29hz allows for optimum unlocking.

You need to be runnign at at least 3 mph though for it to work.

I'mn sure an old hand such as Dave will eb able to tell you more.
The precariously leaning out the window technique with team mate holding ankles.
>>It was great flashing the lights at our unsuspecting next door neighbour every time she walked past.>>

Hasn't anybody told you, if you fancy the neighbour just talk to her.
She's 70.

Although...
Might be in with chance there
Another old boot then Adam?
It's been a quiet few months.

Im not fussy.
Adam if you like this girl, go for it. Don?t let happen to you what happened to me.

I lived next door to a babe called Alice for twenty four years. Twenty four years, just waiting for a chance to tell her how I felt and maybe get a second glance but now I've gotta get used to not living next door to Alice. I don't know why she's leaving, or where she's gonna go,
I guess she's got her reasons but I just don't wanna know.
dont tell me Dave

you rushed to the window and looked outside
But could hardly believe your eyes
As a big limousine rolled up into Alice's drive

Did you grow up together, two kids in the park?
Carving your initials deep in the bark?
You and Alice?
And Sally called back and asked how I felt,
And she said: "I know how to help - Alice is living up North ..

Now I gotta get used to Alice living next door to Adam...

Who the X is Alice?

Who the X is Alice?

Adam's neighbour, clearly
You were keen enough to find out how old she was...:-)

Automatic wipers and lights - colinh
"....Wipers don't work like that, you still have to switch them on...." - No, you can leave them on auto and that's it. Likewise the lights can be left, and this gives you the "leaving home" and "coming home" functions. Found the autolights useful on continental motorways with lots of tunnels; also lift-off wipers to prevent icing-up at night.
Automatic wipers and lights - Dynamic Dave
Motoring please!!

DD.
Automatic wipers and lights - Smileyman
My car has automatic wipers ... so they wipe like crazy when in the spray of a vehicle ahead. Or a single wipe when it starts to rain and the windscreen is mildy damp, thus requiring me to operate the washer to clean the smeared windscreen.
As far as I am concerned they are a waste of money, do not know why manufacurers spend the funds in designing in the technology. Then if the windscreen needs to be replaced, it is a special item, more expensive, so the poor insurance company has a bigger bill, and will charge a higher premium.

Also got an automatic dipping rear view mirror, another waste of time. It is for ever darkening and lighting, often I am dazzled by the vehicle behind until the light sensor is activated. More wasted money.

Better to spend the funds on something useful, potentially life saving like Electonic Stability. Less sexy, perhaps less 'popular' but much more sensible.
>>Less sexy, perhaps less 'popular' but much more sensible.>>

Presmuably it depends on the manufacuturer.

My VW Bora's automatic wipers react only as necessary according to the circumstances.

Exactly the same with the automatic darkening rear view mirror. If a car comes up behind with its headlights on it dims almost instantly - no following vehicle and it's quickly back to the status quo.
Automatic wipers and lights - Smileyman
Forgot to mention the lights - I have always liked the Volvo set up, dipped headlamps whenever the engine is running, so usually put mine on... day and night. I do not have auto lights, if I did I'd probably tape over the light sensor.... then my lights would opeate like a Volvo!!
Have to agree. Can see no need for automatic wipers, or lights.

If you cant operate these basic features a trip to BSM is called for.
>>If you cant operate these basic features a trip to BSM is called for.>>

I thought BSM passed away some time ago...?

I find automatic wipers a superb feature. No more trying to get the wipe sequence that is required whilst weather conditions vary from minute to minute or volume of other traffic throwing up spray.
Automatic wipers and lights - Marc
I posted about this on Technical last week but the auto wipers on my Vectra are painful. They don't come on when they're needed and even when they eventually get going the interval is too long (even on maximum "sensitivity") So I constantly have to manually flick wipe the screen in spray or showery conditions. To add insult to injury there is no option of a normal intermittent function.

Auto dipping rear view mirror is another "feature" I could quite happily do without. On unlit roads you cannot see who/what is behind you - only a pair of dim headlights.

Problem is that most decent spec cars come with these features these days so you have to have them.
Auto dipping rear view mirror is another "feature" I could quite
happily do without. On unlit roads you cannot see who/what
is behind you - only a pair of dim headlights.

The only time my auto dip mirror in my Vectra misbehaves is when in a street lit area. The sensor on the back of the mirror picks up the light from the streetlights, thinks it's daylight, and no longer dips when a car is dazzling from behind. I have to put the interior light on to force the mirror to darken. No problems with it otherwise.

Occasional glitch with the auto wipers, but it soon gets over its strop and settles down again.
Automatic wipers and lights - Marc
Dave - re the mirror, I don't think it's a case of it misbehaving just working too effectively ie on an unlit road it's permanently dipped (with no way of "undipping" it) so you don't know who is zooming up behind you.

The wipers I just cannot get on with
Dave - re the mirror, I don't think it's a case
of it misbehaving just working too effectively ie on an unlit
road it's permanently dipped (with no way of "undipping" it) so
you don't know who is zooming up behind you.

Mine is fine on unlit roads. The only time it dips (or polarises to give it the correct terminology) is when I get dazzled from behind. When a car is behind with their lights set correctly then it's fine and behaves just like a normal mirror.
This lot you mean?

www.bsm.co.uk/
>>This lot you mean?>>

Thanks for that information.

I had the thought in the back of my mind that BSM had been taken over a while back but, for some reason, by the AA...:-)
Renault Family you are only saying that because yours is broken and you can?t play with it. I?m the same with my dollies. As soon as you have a shiny new one with all the kit you?ll be all lovey dovey auto window wipery again. Grumpy!
TOSH

I am perfectly happy with my basic Ford Focus.....

< grumble >
Automatic wipers and lights - BobbyG
Re Auto Lights and Wipers.

On my Scenic, I have both and I like them. However, some issues are:

Wipers - in the morning, like today, when the car was covered in condensation the wipers were going bananas, obviously the sensor was being kept wet by the tiny condensation beads.

Lights - these will not come on automatically in heavy rain or fog etc whic is annoying. However they do come on at dusk especially when you are driving into a low sun!!!

Re the wipers and ice, when you start the engine you need to switch the wipers off and back on to go onto auto mode, so therefore they won't start straight away and risk breaking on the ice.

A negative especially on the lights is when you get used to them coming on automatically, then when you experience heavy rain or fog, you sometimes forget to manually switch them on.
Automatic wipers and lights - colinh
With VW if autowipers are on longer than 10 secs. autolights come on.
My Avensis auto dim rear view mirror can be switched off, and the sensor is on the inside bottom of the mirror so only picks up light from the rear. Looks like they solve two of theissues mentioned above!

But I agree on the condensation issue-it can confuse the wipers and keep them going longer than necessary.
Automatic wipers and lights - Happy Blue!
Rented Hyundai Trajet had these in Israel last week. The lights worked fine and the wipers were good alos, but only after the first hour, as it hadn't rained for months so the screen needed a good clean before the squeaking and juddering stopped. Afterwasrds, for the remainder of the one rainy day they were great and a great advantage.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?