MR2 import servicing. - David W
I've been asked by an existing customer to take on a friends '93 MR2 import. He'd asked his normal servicing contacts who aren't keen, they said...no data...can't get the parts etc.

So what is the real truth of this particular car. Where can I get the data for servicing? Is there somewhere with a list of spec differences compared with UK cars? Are any parts really specific to the import.

Does it make any difference if it is a new import compared with one that's been here a while?

Any help appreciated, Tony L are you about?

David
Re: MR2 import servicing. - KB
David, Try ringing the Toyota Personal/Parallel Imports Co-ordinator. It used Lesley Andrews and may still be. A helpful lady who will, I'm sure, do what she can for you. She's at their Head Office. 01737 768 585.
Re: MR2 import servicing. - KB
Sorry. Should have read...........It used 'to be' Lesley...

More care needed.

KB
Re: MR2 import servicing. - Tony
David,the Japanese MR2 is no problem for servicing in comparison to the UK car and service items are on the shelf at your local Toyota dealer or your local parts supplier.If you need something that is different,again Toyota are very helpful and can usually supply very quickly.There is now quite a well established'cottage'industry of Japanese parts suppliers and even for obscure models parts are never a problem.If a workshop is turning away Japanese car servicing they must be earning to much money.Most workshops i know would rather work on cars from The Land Of The Rising Sun than Citroen/Peugeot/Fiat etc. TL
Re: MR2 import servicing. - David W
Thanks KB, I will do that when I have the V5 in front of me and I know exactly what it is.

Still be interested to hear general comments about this.

David
Re: MR2 import servicing. - John S
David

A friend of mine has a current model MR2 import purchased via Virgin Cars.

They have provided a 3-year warranty, and the one defect the car has had has been repaired by the local Toyota dealer, albeit following a phone call from Virgin.

It's just due its first service, also to be done by the local dealer, so no apparent problem. To be fair though, Virgin guaranteed this car would be to UK spec.

Regards

John
Re: MR2 import servicing. - Keith
I had a 1992 MR2 Turbo from Japan.

Toyota dealer at Northallerton superb. For any parts he didnt stock he contacted Toyota HQ who supplied him with the correct part number that he then ordered through his computer system.

They also said they would be prepared to service the car. Something other Toyota dealers wouldnt do.
Re: MR2 import servicing. - Euan
Shouldn't prove to be much of a problem - there are a goodly number of imported MR2s around, and very few seem to hit much in the way of serious problems. The engine, whether it's NA or turbo, is shared with other Toyotas, and there are plenty other companies who'll help supply parts too.

Take a look around www.imoc.co.uk (International MR2 Owner's Club - UK) - you should find it very helpful.

Cheers

Euan (ex-MR2 owner)
Re: MR2 import servicing. - colin
David W

Actually there is an MR2 Owners Club covering all three marks. If you want to contact me direct I'll try to get an address.

Colin