Renault clio Starting problem - engineer
Sorry to re-awaken this one, but I've seen some historical posts on the subject which may be relevant
- I have an 02 reg Clio.
Sometimes the engine will not even turn - all the lights are on but the start motor does not activate. Seems to be totally intermittent - all I do is keep trying the key in the lock, rocking the car or walking away for a few minutes and then it works.
Could be a sensor, or the igition lock or anything?? But which sensor?
Or could it be the key fob?
I've checked the battery connections and they are ok.

Anyone got any ideas? Because it is intermittent its difficult to diagnose.

Thanks
Renault clio Starting problem - big davey
Hi, you have a bad connection to the solonoid on the starter motor. Its the small wire, if you wiggle it as you turn the key it should go. We cut the spade terminal off and solder a new one in.
Thanks for your help, but the car is still playing up. When it does start the engine runs fine, its just the occasional refusal to do anything thats the problem.
When we turn the key, all the lights come on, but the starter motor does not activate. It almost seem like the electronics is not allowing the start sequence to continue.

Could it be the ECU? - someone has suggested it can be a problem.

Any advice would be welcome.
Renault clio Starting problem - geordie(renault rte)
Does your red immob light go off ??
Could be a poor signal from the transponder chip in the key?
Have you got a spare to try?
Yes - one of the first things we did was to try the spare key, but it made no difference.
I'd like to fix it myself rather than take it to my local renault dealership, but I don't know if there are any other diagnostic tests I can do?
Renault clio Starting problem - Altea Ego
Did you check the wires to the solenoid as suggested? Its not the key or imobilisor. If there is no "clonk" at least from the starter motor its electrical. Check all the connections to the solenoid and motor itself, take them off and clean them, check the earth strap to the engine from the body. Take that off and clean it as well. It could be the ignition switch.
--
RF - currently 1 Renault short of a family
Renault clio Starting problem - leef
Hi,

I had the EXACT same problem on my clio (old shape-R reg) it would intermittently have the problem, leave it for 5 mins then would start no problem. I eventually called the AA out and it turned out to be a wire to the starter motor that had worn out at the end. He said it was a common problem on all clios and had fixed numerous cases of the problem. Took the guy about 30 seconds to sort out.
Update - at last we may have sorted the problem out - the stater motor appeared to be dead when fed directly with volts - replaced starter motor and now ok........
Renault clio Starting problem - jc
That was going to be my reply;either worn brushes or,what I had on a VW,worn-out contacts in the solenoid.