Blown speaker - El Dingo (Martin)
We have an Audi 80 16V (1993). The woofer in one of the rear door panels has blown. Apart from going to Audi (at their sometimes silly prices), has anyone got any ideas? I don't think that I can stand the hassle of 'phoning around every local breakers...

By the way, I took it out to test and found that it is made by Nokia (not just TV's and mobile 'phones then!).

Martin.
Re: Blown speaker - Ian (cape town)
Dingo,
If it's a standard size, you might think of buying a new pair elsewhere, and fitting them yourself. I'm sure a single speaker at audi will cost you more than a pair of new pioneers or similar...
and next time, don't play the kylie cd so loud!
Re: Blown speaker - ladas are slow
in britain we have 'euro car parts' these guys are about 70% cheaper than the dealers.
if you want some good speakers, go for kenwood, the kind i have is the oval kind, i cant remember the model number but it ends in 512 (the only models ending in 512 are 1 oval model and 1 round model speaker)
i got the model number totally wrong, the model is kfc-1687 and can cope with 50 watts RMS per speaker, the price i paid was £99.99 including P&P.
Re: Blown speaker - Andy P
Some manufacturers like Pioneer and Sony actually make replacement speakers specifically for certain cars, so there's no worry about the mountings.

Andy
Re: Blown speaker - Neil
Martin,

I experienced exactly the same problem with one of the rear speakers in my 1994 Audi 80. Trawled various breakers but to no avail so ended up buying some Kenwood speakers that fitted the existing recess (can't quite remember the model, but they cost around £29). Just needed to drill a few holes to mount them and do a bit of wire stripping/putting on new spade connectors. Taking the door panels off was half the battle!!

Pity Nokia's speakers aren't quite up to the reliability standards of their phones!

Good luck,

Neil
Re: Blown speaker - CM
Nokia speakers are standard in a lot of cars as they are possibly the cheapest speakers available (and impossible to compare to the standard of their mobile telephones)

When buying a new car speaker make sure that it does not have a paper-cone (like your Nokia's) as this will give much less distortion and as earlier threads have said get a car specific speaker.
Re: Blown speaker - Andy P
Have a gander at www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/695-00-car-speakers-su...l

Andy
Re: Blown speaker - El Dingo (Martin)
Andy,

Thanks for the link - an interesting site, which I've bookmarked.

Martin.
Re: Blown speaker - Steve
Try the Audi dealer anyway. I went thru the same thoughts as you when the speaker went in my e class mercedes; merc price was £9. Paper OK; quality not stunning but a straight replacement zero hassle.
Re: Blown speaker - El Dingo (Martin)
Thanks all!

I checked the Audi price - £41 ish plus VAT.
I also took a look in Halfords, but you can only buy speakers as a pair, and most were combined tweeter/woofers - the knackered one is a woofer (a tweeter further up the door). Prices seem to be in the region of £50 upwards per pair. Then I'd have to work out how to fit them to make them look OK...

The car isn't worth upgrading to a replacement Sony/Panasonic kit (as the wife drives it mostly and she doesn't really notice these things!). The Nokias aren't too bad.

I'll try the breakers, but for people supposedly out to earn money these guys do try hard to avoid doing business (IMHO of course).

I guess that £41ish isn't too bad in the end...

Cheers all,
Martin.