Improving Peugeot 406 HDI 2.2 136HP - Editor
Hiya all

Here's the full spec: Peugeot 406 estate 2000 2.2 HDI 136HP unit. 29k miles. Should think you all know that by now!

And very nice it is too. But my head has been turned by claims of 'more power', like the TV programme. Actually what's really done it is the 110HP mondeo estate I drove felt like it had a better spread & this Pug doesn't feel like it's has an extra 25 odd horses pulling it. Bit more, but not so you'd hugely notice.

So what I'd like to know is can it really be achieved by such an apparent one fix process as re-chipping? Or is this playing with the power delivery curve & it's a trade off between a broad power delivery against a narrower band with a high power spike? In short is it a good idea?

If so, where would you go? I'm based in the south east, Camberley actually, but travel regularly to Newark/ Mansfield area & once a month to Newquay. Although to have the job done right 1st time I'd prob travel pretty much anywhere.

If not who would be good to make sure that the standard set up is maximised to its best. I've yet to meet a Pug main dealer (although isn't it a citroen engine?) who can do much above the ordinary. Come to think of it do pug/citroen have lots of tweekability or are they set up as standard pretty much at the top of their capabilities?

Final consideration is that I'll prob run this car as far as I can, so if it's a case of 'the light that burns twice as bright lasts half as long' then I'll abandon it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Oh yes, at risk of invoking the great oil debate, anyone know the real reason why pug INSIST that this 2.2 diesil must have 5W 40 oil? Is there an implied issue?
Improving Peugeot 406 HDI 2.2 136HP - blue_haddock
If your in the nottinghamshire area now and again i'd recommend nipping over to Ashbourne and seeing a chap called the Derv Doctor www.dervdoctor.co.uk/

He comes very highly regarded from the Peugeot Sport Official Owners Club and would be happy to advise you of your options.
Improving Peugeot 406 HDI 2.2 136HP - machika
I've yet to meet a Pug main dealer (although isn't it a citroen >> engine?)who can do much above the ordinary. Come to think of
it do pug/citroen have lots of tweekability or are they set
up as standard pretty much at the top of their capabilities?

>>

I think it is a PSA engine, that has now been dropped by Peugeot, and is used only by Citroen in the C5 diesel automatic. I stand to be corrected though.

I don't know why Citroen are still using it and Peugeot are not.
Improving Peugeot 406 HDI 2.2 136HP - Sprice
www.upsolute.com/eng/index.html

This is a well regarded company, and have outlets around the country. They claim an up in power to 162 PS, and torque up to 385 NM for the 2.2 HDi, so considerable gains!
Improving Peugeot 406 HDI 2.2 136HP - Altea Ego
A 2000? 30k Miles? 6k miles a year?

I would suggest this engine may not have been "enthusiaticaly"
run in and may even be a bit sludged up. Oil change, stick some diesel treatment in, and wring its scrawny neck for the next 5k miles.

Improving Peugeot 406 HDI 2.2 136HP - cheddar
>>what's really done it is the 110HP mondeo estate I drove felt like it had a better spread & this Pug doesn't feel like it's has an extra 25 odd horses pulling it>

The Mondeo 2.0 is either 115 or 130ps however the main issue is torque not power, the 2.2HDi produces, IIRC 280nm torque, the same as a 115ps Mondeo where as the 130ps Mondeo produces 350nm, assuming it was the 115ps Mondeo that you drove what you have noticed is the flat spread of torque this engine produces over a wide rev range.
>>what's really done it is the 110HP mondeo estate I drove
felt like it had a better spread & this Pug doesn't
feel like it's has an extra 25 odd horses pulling it>
The Mondeo 2.0 is either 115 or 130ps however the main
issue is torque not power, the 2.2HDi produces, IIRC 280nm torque,
the same as a 115ps Mondeo where as the 130ps Mondeo
produces 350nm, assuming it was the 115ps Mondeo that you drove
what you have noticed is the flat spread of torque this
engine produces over a wide rev range.

I think your figures are innaccurate, as it is very unlikely the Ford 130 bhp engine is going to produce around 50% more torque than the PSA unit. I don't have torque figures in Nm for the respective cars but I do have them in lbft. The 2.2 HDI produces 236 lbft, the Ford 115 bhp engine produces 210 lb ft, and the Ford 130 bhp engine produces 243 lbft.

Having just visited the Citroen UK site to check data, it is interesting to see that the 2.2 HDI has now been dropped from the C5 range. Only the auto had it anyway but it is now replaced with the 136 bhp 2.0 HDI engine.
I think your figures are innaccurate, as it is very unlikely
the Ford 130 bhp engine is going to produce around 50%
more torque than the PSA unit. >>

350 v 280 is actualy 25% more, not 50%.

I dont think that the 2.2 HDI produces as much as 236 lbft, yes the Ford 115 bhp engine produces 280nm/210 lb ft though the 130 bhp engine produces 350nm/258 lbft.

However the new Ford/PSA 2.0 HDi you refer to as also used in the C-Max and Focus is more torquey than the old HDi's producing 340nm/243 lbft.
Having just visited the Citroen UK site to check data, it
is interesting to see that the 2.2 HDI has now been
dropped from the C5 range. Only the auto had it
anyway but it is now replaced with the 136 bhp 2.0
HDI engine.

Intersting, I though that the gearbox did not fit the new engine, perhaps it is a new gearbox, if so might be offered in C-Max and Focus as alternative to the 1.6 CVT.
350 v 280 is actualy 25% more, not 50%.
I dont think that the 2.2 HDI produces as much as
236 lbft, yes the Ford 115 bhp engine produces 280nm/210 lb
ft though the 130 bhp engine produces 350nm/258 lbft.
However the new Ford/PSA 2.0 HDi you refer to as also
used in the C-Max and Focus is more torquey than the
old HDi's producing 340nm/243 lbft.

>>

Yes, I did get my calculation wrong, as I was using my lbft figure for the 2.2 HDI and your Nm figure for the Ford engine. However, your figure for the Ford engine is still wrong, according to the Ford web site, which quotes 330 Nm for the 130 bhp engine.

With regard to the new Ford/PSA 2.0 HDI/TDCi, Ford quote two figures for this engine, the higher torque figure of 243 lbft being achieved with what they term 'transient overboost'. This is slightly higher than the torque quoted by PSA. Both Ford and PSA quote the same power output at 130 bhp.

Finally, back to the 2.2 HDI. Until recently, Citroen were quoting virtually identical power and torque figures for this engine and the new 2.0 HDI. I haven't got the spec sheet for our C5 any longer but could probably get one for our local dealer. If you have any officially quoted figures for this engine, which are different, I would be interested in knowing where they came from.
Yes, I did get my calculation wrong, as I was using
my lbft figure for the 2.2 HDI and your Nm figure
for the Ford engine. However, your figure for the Ford
engine is still wrong, according to the Ford web site, which
quotes 330 Nm for the 130 bhp engine.

If you delve deep into the Ford website or better still look at a brochure you will see that Transient Overboost (marketing speak) raises the 130 to 350nm and the Ford PSA 136 to 340nm.
If you delve deep into the Ford website or better still
look at a brochure you will see that Transient Overboost
(marketing speak) raises the 130 to 350nm and the Ford PSA 136
to 340nm.

>>

I stated that the Ford web site quotes a transient overboost figure for the Ford/PSA engine. I cannot find any such quote for the 130 bhp engine, where I am referring to the engine data listed by Ford.

As a matter of interest, going back to the 2.2 HDI, the Car-by-Car Breakdown on this site quotes the torque figure of this engine as 234 lbft, which is not significantly different from the 236 lbft quoted by PSA for the new 2.0 HDI.
I stated that the Ford web site quotes a transient overboost
figure for the Ford/PSA engine. I cannot find any such
quote for the 130 bhp engine, where I am referring to
the engine data listed by Ford.

It doesnt immediatly come to hand on ford.co.uk, it mentions the T/O on the 2.2 though not the 2.0 however look at Mondeo specs on:

www.ford.ie

That mentiones it, otherwise the brochure will clarify the point.
Improving Peugeot 406 HDI 2.2 136HP - Bill Payer
A 2000? 30k Miles? 6k miles a year?

You see this kind of thing on BMW's quite a bit - obviously we don't know the original purchaser here (and maye it was originally a demonstrator or something), but I wonder why people spend the (not inconsiderable) extra cost on a diesel when they're only doing 6K/yr?
Improving Peugeot 406 HDI 2.2 136HP - NowWheels
I wonder why people spend the (not inconsiderable) extra cost
on a diesel when they're only doing 6K/yr?

Probably because they prefer the way a diesel drives and sounds, and have the added benefit of knowing that when they sell it, it will have held its value better than a petrol-engined car.
Improving Peugeot 406 HDI 2.2 136HP - Adam {P}
>>Probably because they prefer the way a diesel drives and sounds<<

Huh??
>>Probably because they prefer the way a diesel drives and sounds<<
Huh??

A diesel offers more realxed power, and makes a throbbing noise rather than a whine. Some people prefer that, tho I know that many prefer petrol.

Each to their own. Think of it as being like how Ford sells lots of pretty hatchbacks, but sells a few saloons to the minority who like that sort of thing :)
I see.....

You stick to your Massey Fergusons and I'll stick to my booted refinement ;-)
I have driven a lot of cars, with petrol engines, that are a lot more intrusive at motorway speeds than the PSA 2.2 HDI, which is an exceptionally quiet and smooth engine. I wouldn't say that there is any throbbing sound at all.
You stick to your Massey Fergusons and I'll stick to my
booted refinement ;-)

I drove a very nice early-1960s Massey Ferguson last weekend. It was still just as good as I remembered them from my youth! Modern tractors aee nowhere near as nice.
Improving Peugeot 406 HDI 2.2 136HP - Stuartli
>but sells a few saloons to the minority who like that sort of thing :)>>

Like my VW 1.6 16v Bora you mean?

I also seem to recall that virtually all the 405s and 406s I've seen lately are saloons (and very good looking ones as well).

If it was only a minority who like that sort of thing then it would only be the sale of a few saloons...:-))
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
I also seem to recall that virtually all the 405s and
406s I've seen lately are saloons (and very good looking ones
as well).

There never was a hatchback version of the 405 or 406. The only alternatives (apart from the 406 Coupe) were the estate versions. It is the same with the 407.
Good. There are far too few saloons around.

Incidentally, I saw another new C5 today or rather it saw me and then blinded me with it's xenons but they're growing on me. Growing on me a lot.
Improving Peugeot 406 HDI 2.2 136HP - Stuartli
>>There never was a hatchback version of the 405 or 406>>

I never said there was a hatchback - it was tongue in cheek.

I've been on enough 405 and 406 Press launches to know what's on offer...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by