BMW 320i Coupe - Chas Baker
I currently drive a 320i saloon manual, E36, J reg and have been looking to replace it with a 320i Coupe Auto, approx N reg. So far little luck but a slightly older one has now been advertised and I will look at it tomorrow evening (26th March).

It is a K reg, 1993, 76000 miles, FSH, asking price £6200.

Can anyone please advise me:

1) What sort of things should I be looking out for/asking about specifically with regard to this model? What are likely to be the biggest areas of concern?
2) Is this a reasonable price (Devon area) if the condition turns out to be generally good?

Thanks for any help
Re: BMW 320i Coupe - david stone
www.motorweb.ie/readerreviews/bmwreviews.phtml
Re: BMW 320i Coupe - honestjohn
MAKE SURE THAT LIKE YOUR J REG IT HAS A CAST IRON CYLINDER BLOCK. IF IT HAS AN ALLOY BLOCK YOU NEED EVIDENCE THAT THE ENGINE HAS BEEN REPLACED BY ONE WITH STEEL BORE LINERS.

HJ
Re: BMW 320i Coupe - Chas Baker
Thanks for the tip, HJ. Does this mean that the alloy block engines were fitted with steel bore liners as a recall or do you mean that I should only buy this model which has had an engine replacement (with the steel liners)? Is there any way I can tell in terms of an engine marking? If all else is OK with the car, do you feel this engine question is a big enough drawback not to purchase?
Re: BMW 320i Coupe - richard turpin
I think £6200 is a lot for a K 320i, even an auto coupe. After all it's 8 years old. Also K is the first year that cats were compulsory, so hold onto your wallet at the MOT as they are expensive. Perhaps this 72000 miler has had it replaced. Incidentally I recently had a 328i engine rebuilt because of the bore wear. Cost £3200 for your information.
Re: BMW 320i Coupe - david stone
I can't comment on the 320i model but I used to have a 318is Coupe and the only I can say is that these cars really need some tender loving car. I sold my J plate 318is Coupe about 3 months ago with 88k on the clock for £4500, and the car was pretty much shot to pieces. If anything goes wrong on these cars, it costs ALOT to fix. Make sure you get a well looked after model with say 1 owner and full BMW service history.
Re: BMW 320i Coupe - richard turpin
I agree with David Stone if you are mad enough to go anywhere near a main dealer. Actually BMW parts are cheap from "German and Sweedish" eg:£14 for a 323i cluch slave cylinder. "DMW" of Croydon 0208 655 4066 do guaranteed 2nd hand parts. I got a 328 manual gearbox recently for £250 and it was fine so I did'nt need the 3 mths guarantee. BMW quoted £1500 for a recon box plus fitting. Also, if anyone wants to know, the old 5 series (Y to H) alloy wheels fit straight onto the new 3 series, cost next to nothing and look quite good as the track is made slightly wider. Better for those square road humps.