London to Newcastle. How long? - Whu10
Planning to drive to Newcastle to see a mate in the near future. How long would it take from the Islington area to Newcastle leaving on a Friday about Midday. Any advice greatly appreciated!
London to Newcastle. How long? - Hugo {P}
Having done Leicester to Newcastle a few years ago in around 4 hours, I would add a couple of hours between London and Leicester. Hence 6 hours min.
London to Newcastle. How long? - Mapmaker
Ages.

Leave 7am Saturday morning and you'll be there for coffee time.
I've done it in about 3.5 hours at that time of day (7am Saturday morning, that is!). Otherwise, how long is your piece of string.
I would go Saturday but need to be there by Friday evening. I'm reckoning on 6/7 hours then going straight up the A1 all the way with a liberal interpretation of the speed limit in appropriate places.
The last I saw of it (which was a Sunday morning going North early September), the A1 south of Huntingdon was a disaster zone. Two major lots of roadworks. So if that's still the case, (I saw a sign warning of roadworks at the Black Cat very recently) get on the A12 from Bow, (or perhaps you can cut across to Hackney - I'm not quite sure where you're coming from) then up the M11 then a bit of A14, and then you're on the A1(M). Save you two hours.

London to Newcastle. How long? - codefarm
I used to regularly make that trip from South London; M25->M1->M18->A1.

I left around 4.00 AM and going absolutely balls-out would arrive in Gateshead at 9.30. Including 45 minutes for a blow-out in a Little Chef somewhere on the A1 which set me up for the day.

Leaving on Friday lunchtime, with all the speed cameras, traffic, and roadworks, I'd guess you'd arrive sometime after about 8pm.
Thanks everyone, so my general estimate is could be anything from 6 to quite a long time!
London to Newcastle. How long? - Altea Ego
Yesterday at 1300 there was a 4 mile jam A1 north approaching the black cat. Past there its clear of roadworks all the way to Newark.
My fellow happy hammer.

Be very carefull of your "interpretation" of the speed limits

The A1 is a nasty road speed camera wise. Its ok if you know all the spots, permanent and temporary otherwise you could get caught out quite badly. There are lots of favourite, frequently used speed trap areas.

London to Newcastle. How long? - Bromptonaut
Or you could try the train www.gner.co.uk. Travel out at 14:30 on Friday 11 Nov, return around lunch time on Sunday presently quoted at £25 out £18 back (use the two singles option).

Journey time under three hours from Kings Cross.
London to Newcastle. How long? - Bromptonaut
Or you could try the train www.gner.co.uk. Travel out at 14:30
on Friday 11 Nov, return around lunch time on Sunday presently
quoted at £25 out £18 back (use the two singles option).
Journey time under three hours from Kings Cross.

Sorry, outward time should be 14:00 not 14:30, arrive Newcastle 16:50.
London to Newcastle. How long? - Bill Payer
Obviously I don't know your logistical requirements, but have a look at flying, especially if you're travelling on your own (so have no-one to share, or amortise, the petrol cost).
If you?re flexible about flight times etc, you could do it on BA for £100 or so (return). There may be other airlines flying that route too?
London to Newcastle. How long? - NVH
You can check the mileage and standard time on viamichelin.co.uk
but if you check aa/travelwatch & enter M1 on a Friday you will see lots of purple tailbacks - like yesterday!
A1 is a no-no, as the speed cameras cause massive bunching- worse if it's dark.

I travelled M1 last night, but there was still a two-junction tailback at Sheffield at 10 pm, and in my case an A19 diversion.

London to Newcastle. How long? - Ben {P}
My record time from Bromley kent to Newcastle is 3hours 40mins which I ahceived a few years ago, however, that was driving at stupid speeds.

If you leave on friday night, you need to time it so you dont arrive in newcastle between 5:15 and about 6:15 if i remember corectly as the traffic going over the bridges can slow you down a lot. other in the area will probably advise current rush hour times on the a1. So leaving at 1 would not be a good idea, best to leave a few hours later, or better still drive up late thursday evening.
London to Newcastle. How long? - Armitage Shanks {p}
As a guide for you, I do Grantham to Newcastle in 3 1/2 hours but NOT on a Friday after lunch. The A1 is very very busy on Friday afternoons and part of the problem is lorries overtaking lorries on the 2 lane stretches, 2 miles minimum to make the manoeuvre! Bad road works at the Black Cat roundabout near St Neots plus probably many others further North that I don't know about. Newcastle near the Metro Centre can be very slow moving too.
London to Newcastle. How long? - cheddar
I have done Woking to Sunderland in just under 4.5 hours, 320 miles, M25, A1, A19.
London to Newcastle. How long? - cheddar
PS. That is an average of about 73 mph, difficult to see how it can be done much quicker these days.
London to Newcastle. How long? - Ronnie
I would avoid the A1 like the plauge. covered in speed cameras, round abouts and heavy lorries... Take M6 and cut across to Newcastle on the A66. Drive overnight and you can go as fast as you like as long as you always use your indicators when changing lanes, regardless of traffic. Police track fast cars, but keep your nose clean and they wont bust you.
>>Take M6 and cut across to Newcastle on the A66

M6 SIX! SIX! On a Friday afternoon.... you will come to a stop at Stoke and then crawl as far as Manchester - and probably Lancaster tho it's a long time since i've been further north than Manchester.
London to Newcastle. How long? - hxj
Get the train!

About 3 hours each way, and if you plan it right about £40 to £50 for the return ticket.
London to Newcastle. How long? - daveyjp
M6 - avoid like the plague. We drove down to Cardiff on Friday evening and Five live were announcing huge tailbacks on the M6 for the whole drive down there - 6.30pm-11pm (it's a common theme every time we do the trip). Even at 10.30pm it was still being announced. If you don't need your car I'd be on GNER or a plane.

After this trip to Cardiff we have decided that Friday evening is no time to be driving long distance anywhere. From now on we'll be taking half a day's leave and leaving at lunchtime or setting out early on Saturday.
>After this trip to Cardiff we have decided that Friday evening is no time to be driving long distance anywhere.

London to Tunbridge Wells (&beyond) is OK after 7pm on a Friday. I was amazed!
London to Tunbridge wells? Good God Mapmaker, TW is almost a London suburb!