Omega suspension - Agemo
My Omega was found to have a cracked rear coil spring; well-spotted by my garage.
Nothing had been noticed during driving.
My garage fitted a replacement pair.
With a full load, the exhaust was scraping on road humps and, once, even on the motorway.
The garage said that the wrong springs had been fitted and repaced them free of charge.
The suspension looked a lot higher then; wheel arches a couple of inches higher than the wheels.
But, with even less than a full load (4 adults, no luggage)the exhaust still scrapes on road humps.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ago
Omega suspension - Dynamic Dave
Just a thought. Has the Omega got air adjustable rear suspension? If so, has the garage forgot to put any air back in after stripping down? IIRC, Vauxhall's with this type of rear suspension need a minimum of 12psi in the system.
Omega suspension - smokie
Daughter's car (Fiesta!) had same problem - due to one of the rubbers suspending the exhaust being bust.
Omega suspension - Agemo
Thanks smokie; will check.
But; I think that my garage has said that it can't pull the exhaust any higher otherwise it will rattle.

Ago
Omega suspension - Agemo
Thanks Dave, but mine's a saloon.
I think it's just the estates that have that, isn't it?

Ago
Omega suspension - Mr. D
Some saloons also have the air shockers, the elite has the self levelling system - worth checking. There is a small air line going into the shocker about 5cm from the top.
Omega suspension - Agemo
Tnx Mr D.!
Will check.

Ago
Omega suspension - Civic8
As mentioned could be broken exhaust mounts
--
Steve
Omega suspension - Civic8
Unless you are riding these humps too fast
--
Steve
Omega suspension - Agemo
Tnx steve.

Will check mountings.
Was going over humps slowly.

Ago
Omega suspension - Agemo
Tried everything chaps!
No go!
Do these things naturally hang lo? (no Chinese jokes please).

Anyone here had same problem?
But it was all right with the original springs!

Ago
Omega suspension - Mobile Office

My Old Man has got a Y Reg 2.2 CD Saloon. If I recall he wasn't happy with how low his sat at the back as he used to catch his mudflaps on the ground when turning up a steep hill on our road.

Coincidentaly, one of his rear coil springs snapped going around a roundabout. Common problem perhaps.

As he regularly tows a caravan and a boat so he fitted a Monroe Levelling System to the rear which cost about £180. He's pleased as punch now.....

Omega suspension - Agemo
Thanks MO!
Will give that some thought.

Ago
Omega suspension - Agemo
I'm still thinking!

Ago
Omega suspension - Agemo
Omega suspension - Agemo
One more time; then I give up! :(

Ago
Was it an independant garage, or a main dealer who replaced the springs? Maybe whoever fitted them put the wrong ones one that were meant for a later / earlier Omega than yours and the spec is different. Not sure if this is the case and there are different types, but your local Vauxhall dealer should be able to tell you by looking at their microfiche and comparing with your chassis No.
Omega suspension - Agemo
Thanks Dave!

The work was done by an independant garage.
The first replacements (replacing the cracked spring) were found to be the wrong ones (the car was sitting quite low).
Then another set was fitted.
He assures me that they were sourced correctly, but I suppose that I could always go for a second opinion.

Ago
Omega suspension - Agemo
Rather than just bumping your message back up the list in the hope that someone can help, did you seek that 2nd opinion from Vauxhall?

Also, try asking over on cavweb.co.uk . There is a dedicated Omega forum on there. Someone *may* be able to help.
Omega suspension - Mat_Green_Omega
Never had this problem with my car. What size wheels do you have? I have got a pair of nice 17inch alloys with large tyres, this insures that I am high off the ground for Englands huge speed bumps that seem to be everywhere now.

My car now appears to be about if not higher than the Land Rover Freelander! :)
Omega suspension - Agemo
Dave and Matt, many thanks.
Food for thought, (and action)!

I will try to resist the bumping!

Ago
Omega suspension - sails north
are you sure its the exhaust? have a look to see where on the exhaust its catching.

Omega suspension - Snakey
I had a rear coil replaced on my 96' 2.0 GLS and soon noticed a scraping/crunching noise over bumps.

Turns out it was actually the catalysts heat shield was moving around and contacting with the exhaust.

When I looked more closely nearly all the shield fixings had rusted away to nothing so I removed the shield entirely. I assume the shield had been knocked just enough during the coil fitting to cause the noise.
Omega suspension - Agemo
Thanks for that, sails and snakes!
Will get out and get under . . . . . my automobile!

Ago