Fun with Scenic electric parking brake - Round The Bend
Just back from a long weekend in the South West, a good outing for the new Grand Scenic which averaged 36.5 mpg over the 700 odd miles, including a lot of steep and narrow Devon lanes.

Had an incident with the electric parking brake. The electric parking brake disengages as soon as you apply revs and lift the clutch as opposed to a standard hand brake where you release at the time of your choosing ie once you have achieved the "balance" on the clutch.

We parked on a steep slope and upon returning found a car parked just a few feet in front of us meaning that we had to reverse. Problem was that as soon as revs were applied and the clutch disengaged, the car slipped forward towards the car in front. After 2 attempts I had to concede defeat and we went for a walk until the owner returned - which, fortunately, they did within half an hour.

Of course, without the car in front (no pressure) and without the additional weight of the family on board, I was able to get the point of balance immediately without slipping down the hill ...........

Will certainly be very careful how and where we park in the future.
Fun with Scenic electric parking brake - flangeman
Similar to a old merc I drove for a bit, the handbrake was foot operated, and was on or off, no in-between. Fine if the car is a auto, but this was a manual.
Fun with Scenic electric parking brake - Stonk
My wife drives a new Senic. The renault hand brake can be operated manualy by pushing the button with your thumb above the lever. Have a shifty through the owners/operating manual.
---------------------
Yes those Merc handbrakes were the worst designs on a manual. God knows how anyone did a hill start.
Fun with Scenic electric parking brake - Xileno {P}
I drove a new scenic as a hire car a few months back and found it no problem. I wonder if yours needs an adjustment?
Don't think it needs an adjustment as performed very well at all other times.

Handbook? You're quite right but did n't have it with us at the time. I'll have a scan through and try the button technique!

Fun with Scenic electric parking brake - patently
Heel and toe?

(not a skill you might expect to need for a Grand Scenic, I grant you!)
Hmmmm! Not a skill I'd like to try out for the first time fully loaded on a steep hill with 6 inches between my bumper and that of someone's Focus!
Which is why I take every opportunity to practice!

Just in case I find myself in a Scenic..... honest...
Fun with Scenic electric parking brake - Adam {P}
>>Not a skill I'd like to try out for the first time fully loaded on a steep hill with 6 inches between my bumper and that of someone's Focus!<<

Who's would that be then? ;-)
Don't worry not yours ........ this one was quite a nice colour .... :}
Fun with Scenic electric parking brake - BobbyG
I have a Scenic and I can assure you that with practice it will become second nature to you. You can still feel the "bite" as if it was a normal handbrake and carry out a normal hillstart, whether that be forward or reverse!

I remember recently a story that Mini convertibles were banned from driving tests due to visibility. I assume you are allowed to still take a test in a Scenic with its auto handbrake?
I remember recently a story that Mini convertibles were banned from
driving tests due to visibility.

Or was it that the examiners refused to be seen dead in one?
Fun with Scenic electric parking brake - rustbucket
I have a Scenic and I can assure you that with
practice it will become second nature to you. You can still
feel the "bite" as if it was a normal handbrake and
carry out a normal hillstart, whether that be forward or reverse!
I remember recently a story that Mini convertibles were banned from
driving tests due to visibility. I assume you are allowed to
still take a test in a Scenic with its auto handbrake?

I agree with a little practice the electric hand brake becomes second nature, the problem is when you swap back to an ordinary lever hand brake in another car -you forget to manually release it when moving off.
I have wondered if it is allowed to take the driving test with an automatic handbrake, but as mentioned you can use it in a manual way by depressing the center button on the scenic.
--
rustbucket (the original)
Fun with Scenic electric parking brake - Smileyman
Or stopping at red lights at the top of a hill in San Francisco - when the creep of the auto in D is insufficient to prevent the car rolling backwards down the hill... needed 3 legs! - well the pedestrians crossing the road ran for their life as I stabbed the 'A' pedal and released the foot operated brake at the same time.

Fun with Scenic electric parking brake - Bagpuss
I had a Renault Laguna as a hire car a few months back, which also had the electric parking brake. I really loved using this pointless but nice feature, along with the similarly pointless but nice push button engine start. I wish my BMW had these.

As an aside, the car had soft suspension and high profile tyres and proved a very comfortable and enjoyable way of touring round the potholed streets of Hungary. Might have to change my mind about Renaults.
Fun with Scenic electric parking brake - NMVW
I had Scenic on hire from Nice airport back in june all the dash board information is in french, no english translation button.The chap from avis had disappeared and I was left to fend for my self
I had never used a car a electronic hand brake before. I did not take long to work it out.
But would another manuafacter, say from anywhere other than france,
produce a car with words on the dash display in thier own language.
Japan & Korea spring to mind. I do't think so.
Fun with Scenic electric parking brake - kershaw39
I have a new Scenic as well and have also had a little trouble adjusting to the new electric parking brake ...... but have found the release button good, as you can use it just like a traditional hand brake and only release at "bitting point"

I am now struggling every time i get in our punto and try to set off with the handbrake still on!