Car ad. registrations - Phil P
Bit of a Sunday afternoon question:

Leafing through the papers, I've noticed the same format of registration on the cars in adverts going back many years. Often something like UVO 111. Can anyone shed light on what these mean? Is it a secret code for marketing professionals?
Re: Car ad. registrations - Guy Lacey
Possibly so that the reg plate is one that will not be issued by DVLA in future or hasn't been in the past?
Re: Car ad. registrations - Roger K.
It's just a "dateless" plate used by the advertising agency, so that their advert always looks fresh.
I think that one you quote is owned by Rover.
Re: Car ad. registrations - peter
I have assumed, maybe incorrectly, that they use plate details that can be mirror imaged. Hence allowing photos to be used for LHD and RHD cars. Saving time and money on the advertising budget. Hence allowing more freebee trips for motoring journalists..........
Re: Car ad. registrations - Dwight Van-Driver
Spot on Peter. I took an interest in this some years ago and found your reason was the answer,

DVD.
Re: Car ad. registrations - Rswipes
I work in the printing industry and ads for papers and magazines are started months and months before publication and sometimes the publication date isn't known, so by giving cars 'personalised' registrations an advert with say the '51' reg on does not get printed in a publication after the '02' reg comes out
Re: Car ad. registrations - Cockle
I seem to remember reading somewhere that a 'balanced' number of six characters is supposed to be subconciously aesthetic and also gives the impression of the number plate being uncluttered.
Probably rubbish but it seemed to make as much sense as anything else in the advertising industry.
Re: Car ad. registrations - David W
Cockle,

Actually I think you're right. Our non-dating plate has been commented on for its "look". The letters/number are meaningless to anyone else so it is only the pattern that will appeal.

It's a bit like A*4 P*A

I'd never thought of it but it would virtually pass the mirror test so perhaps there is something in that.

David
Re: Car ad. registrations - Phil P
Interesting, thanks