Minimum oil level. - David W
Medium hatch in for service yesterday. Oil capacity with filter change 3 litres.

It is a habit of mine to check the level before draining, none on the dipstick of this one!

Measured the drained oil inc that from the filter and there was 1.2 litres!!!!

How do they get away with it?

David
Re: Minimum oil level. - crazed idiot
was the "oil low" light showing at this level ?
Re: Minimum oil level. - Flat in Fifth
David,

"How do they get way with it" could be interpreted two ways.

version A; How do they get away with running on not much more than the contents of a can of 3 in 1, stretching a point I know but you know what I mean.

version B; how do they get away with producing cars with high oil consumption, (900 mpl at last measure!) and claim its within spec. hmmm :-(

Stuart
Re: Minimum oil level. - Dave
A mate complained that his 2.3 (or is it 2.4) litre volvo's oil pressure light had been coming on when going round corners for 'a while'.

I checked the oil, not showing on the dipstick. I suggested since we were gonna have to buy a 5 litre can anyway we should get a filter and change the oil.

This we did. Less than a litre came out. (I think it was 5 litre capacity) It came out and stopped draining so quickly, and there was so little of it I thought I'd drained the gearbox oil by mistake.

This car had been driven 50 miles a day for a few weeks with the oil light coming on frequently.

I was only visiting for a weekend of beer and windsurfing - if I'd gone few weeks later I guess it might have seized.
Re: Minimum oil level. - Tom Shaw
A guy I worked with years ago used to go round the printing machines on the shop floor collecting oil from the drip trays underneath. This he used to put in his car, claiming it was much better than motor oil. "Look how thick it is," he used to say, running it between his fingers, "This'll really give some proper protection." He never connected the the fact that his cars used to die early deaths with the above.
Re: Minimum oil level. - MPA
I always check the oil level AFTER the car has been serviced.. In about 1988 I got a Cavalier back from a Vauxhall agent and it needed 3 litres of oil to get up to the level on the dipstick. Mind you there must have been 3 litres of oil all over the cabin.
Re: Minimum oil level. - Keith
A friend of mine had a company Vauxhall.

Occasionally a red light would come on when cornering (oil light)

"Excellent!" he would exclaim "the cornering light is working perfectly"
Re: Minimum oil level. - Terry Maxwell
1.2 litres of oil?

My greasy mop of hair and beard has more oil in it than that.

Yours greasily and sweatily,

Terry Maxwell