oil change - misterp
Our 106 diesel has a 6k service interval that we reach every 9 months. It was last serviced 6 months ago and I've noticed the strong trend in advocating interim oil changes between the annual service which leaves me to decide if I should neglect changing the oil for three months or set the changing regim out of sync with the services????
Re: oil change - Guy Lacey
When running a diesel I used to change the oil at 6k OR 6 months, whichever came first.
Re: oil change - kevin
do you need to bother with the oil filter as well?
regards kev
Re: oil change - Simon Saxton

6months or 6k, diesel or petrol. One of my ten motoring commandments.

Simon
Re: oil change - robert
What are the other 9? Would make a good thread .......

Regards ........ Robert
Ten Commandments - Guy Lacey
1. Buy a VW
2. Buy a VW
3. Buy a VW
4. Buy a VW
5. Buy a VW
6. Buy a VW
7. Buy a VW
8. Buy a VW
9. Buy a VW
10. Buy a VW
Re: Ten VW's - John S
Guy

I see. So, they are so unreliable you need nine spares.

Makes sense now!

Regards

John
Re: Ten Commandments - Rob S
Guy,

Can't quite subscribe to your 10 commandments, the Jetta we ran for 3 yrs proved to have a healthy appetite for the folding stuff, and when I'd finally had enough we moved on to a Sharan. Much better vehicle but have been totally unimpressed with dealers and Customer Services proved rather toothless. Warranty expires in June when I shall dispense with main dealers.

Rob
Re: oil change - Guy Lacey
Oil Filter at £3-£5 - why bother *not* changing it every 6 months?
Re: oil change - David Withers
Superb advice to change the oil every 6 months or 6k. I'm convinced that this is the key to good engine life. As I reported in an earlier posting, my old Triumph 2500 managed 180,000 miles before it suffered noticeable engine wear in the form of piston slap. It was still running fine otherwise and I'm sure this was down to 6-monthly (2500 mile) oil changes.

As I also said earlier, however, not a lot is gained by changing the filter at early intervals since filters slightly improve in performance as they age -- up to a point of course. Also, a new filter carries a slight risk of containing metal swarf unless it is a top brand like Fram. I change mine annually, i.e. every other oil change.
Re: oil change - mileage - David Withers
Those of you who are wide awake will be asking: "How come his car did 180,000 miles on its first engine when he does only 5000 miles per annum?" I should have mentioned that I bought the car in 1975 when it was 2.1/2 years old with 130,000 already on the clock. The first owner lived in Peterborough and commuted 200-odd miles to Southampton every weekday!
Re: oil change - Andrew Wills
Confusing, this! For my new Lexus (200), first service is recommended at 20,000 miles or 2 years (free "health check" at 10,000m) - so in view of the advice via this site, how long will engine last if official service intervals are adhered to, please?

many thanks
Andrew
Re: oil change - John S
Andrew

Being a Lexus, it'll last a long time, unless you're doing lots of short runs. But, frankly 2 years is too long between service checks which detect safety issues, and it'll last for ever if you change the oil more frequently.

Don't forget service intervals are desiged to make the car cheap to run for the company buyers, who've no real interest after the first 60 or 80 thousand miles.

Regards
john
Re: oil change - Rob
The point is, if you change the oil every 6 months/5k and use decent semi-synthetic, engines never wear out. On manufacturer's service intervals with short runs, brand new engines can be worn out at 50k.

Rob