how to get rid of cheap cigar stink - Editor
Hiya.

Just bought a used 406. Previous owner must have used as a humidor or something-reaks of nasty cheap cigars. Now I'm expecting the dealer to sort this, but I'll bet it'll take more than one go. No ash in the car. Cloth interior.

What's going to fix this for once & for all? Think I saw in the post about flies something called Nutradel??

Cheers all.
how to get rid of cheap cigar stink - Adam {P}
Yeah - StuartLi mentioned Neutradol and borasport, Comma something or other.

I'm going to try the Comma stuff as it reckons it cleans the upholstery too (well - smells anyway) and you can just leave it for 10 minutes.

If you hold off until tomorrow, I'll give you my review of it.
how to get rid of cheap cigar stink - Stuartli
If the Comma product is one costing about £12.99 and intended for air conditioning systems then it's basically the same as Neutradol which costs about £1.30.

Neutradol is the original (Neutra-Air and Oust are recent similar products) and, unlike air fresheners, actually kills the bacteria that causes the smells.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
how to get rid of cheap cigar stink - Lawrenma2
Drive with the windows down for a good while, use a fabric cleaner, and get a "type S" air freshener from Halfords for about a fiver.

I had this problem when i bought my car, the ad said "non-smoking female", but i got the car home, opened the ash tray and it was full of fags and was stinking! I used the aboce.

(off topic), i also found a pair of womens knickers under the back seat with a suspicious stain but that's another story).
how to get rid of cheap cigar stink - mss1tw
I've heard put a bowl of grass cuttings in there and do the windows up on a hot day.

Honestly.

how to get rid of cheap cigar stink - Lawrenma2
oh yeah, i heard if you put abowl of vinegar down, put clingfilm over it, and pierce holes in it, leave ot over night and it takes the smell away. Worth trying.
how to get rid of cheap cigar stink - Vin {P}
"I've heard put a bowl of grass cuttings in there and do the windows up on a hot day"

Works, but you need to put a washing up bowlful in there for a couple of weeks; refresh weekly and turn them daily. Kills off any smell.

V
how to get rid of cheap cigar stink - Mapmaker
Take four long haired dogs. Go for muddy run in park. Put dogs in car. Hey presto!
Buy a nice Robusto and smoke that instead thus making your car smell of excellent cigars!
how to get rid of cheap cigar stink - quizman
Did the 406 belong to Ken Clarke? He smokes cheap looking cigars.
how to get rid of cheap cigar stink - steveo30
ive had success with fabreeze...supermarkets sell it with the laundry stuff

give all the cloth /carpet/headliner a good spray and see how it is next day
how to get rid of cheap cigar stink - Nsar
A cheap way to get a fairly neutral, fresh smell (as opposed to chemical pine) is to put a couple of sheets of Bounce under the seats - that stuff you put in tumble driers.

I tried a steam cleaner on the carpets in the back of my nine year old estate at the weekend, it has really revitalised them so may lift deep smells out of upholstery too. Bought mine for something £60 from Aldi.
how to get rid of cheap cigar stink - Pugugly {P}
Stem clean cloth areas.Allow to dry in Fres air, that Fabreze stuff is pretty good for "losing" doggy smells.
how to get rid of cheap cigar stink - spikeyhead {p}
Buy ne some decent cigars and let me drive the car for a week.

--
I read often, only post occasionally
how to get rid of cheap cigar stink - Stuartli
Fabreeze is still not as good or as efficient as Neutradol...:-)

Incidentally, if you have a Lidl near you, it stocks a W5 or similar company name's equivalent of Fabreeze and it's half the price or less.
how to get rid of cheap cigar stink - Mapmaker
Febreeze (sp??)is horrid.

When I bought my house the previous owners had a cat. There was a funny nasty catty smell in the loo, so I bought some febreeze. And sprayed it about frequently for several weeks... the smell just got worse.

Apparently the really nasty smell WAS Febreeze...

I'll never touch it again - rather smell cat & baby!
how to get rid of cheap cigar stink - Editor
That reminds me. Years ago I had a fiesta that I had just prepped up for sale. It was a hot summer's night, so I left the windows down. Years ago I also had a six-dinner sized cat, called Oscar. You can guess the rest. On the driver's seat too. Used all chemicals I could find, but no way was the parfum de chat wee going. In the end I used fabreeze & do you know what-it got rid of it! Yes, it's yucky, but IMHO a better option that what was there.

Actually the reason I bought the estate was to convey about 4 dogs, so I guess you're right-aroma of hound will soon 'mask' the cigar smoke.

Thanks all-will be defumigating the dogs' limo later.

PS now there's an idea-what's the oddest thing you've ever found in a used car?! Somebody musty have posted this one up already..
Success??? - Editor
Did it work Adam? Have you fixed your 'fly' issue?

StuartLi, just been looking at the Neutrdol range on their website. Which one(s) of their products work the best please! Car has been at least superficially valeted (actually, not a bad job) so I expect that the aroma is stuck in all the fabric fibers.

Thanks all. Will bore you all later with a performance question on Pug HDI engine...unless it's all been done before. What's the best way to search through the backroom? Another forum I go (bikes, not cars) to uses google to assist in someway & it's so much better than the standard board search option.

Been for a drive with windows down, not yet!

Success??? - Stuartli
>>Which one(s) of their products work the best please>>

The only one I've used - or needed to use - is the aerosol version. There's the original in a dark blue can plus later "scented" variations.

It works by killing the bacteria that causes smells rather than temporarily masking the smells (as with air fresheners).

I also use it to keep the car's air conditioning system free of potential problems by spraying Neutradol into the car interior and leaving the A/C running on recirculating mode for about five minutes (with, of course, the doors closed) about once a month.
Thank you - Editor
Many Thanks Stuartli

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Tesco's I...
Thank you - Marc
Recently bought a used car that stank of stale cigarette smoke. Scrubbed out ashtray, used a quick drying foam upholstery cleaner (decosol) on carpets with a nail brush. Sprayed all seat fabric with a Holts "odorkill" spray. Placed a neutradol gel air freshener (specifically for cars from Tesco) in the car. Two weeks later you can't smell fags anymore just the neutradol. I'll leave it in for a couple more weeks then bin it.
how to get rid of cheap cigar stink - Martin Wall
Get it professionally valeted!
how to get rid of cheap cigar stink - Altea Ego
Mappy is right., 4 wet labradors will soon mask the smell.
how to get rid of cheap cigar stink - PhilW
"4 wet labradors will soon mask the smell2
Think I would take up smoking cheap cigars to mask the smell of the Labs!!
Phil
how to get rid of cheap cigar stink - Sofa Spud
>>Mappy is right., 4 wet labradors will soon mask the smell.

It is advisable to feed the labradors an extra large breakfast first. This should include brussel sprouts, cabbage or similar. The dogs need to be placed in the car immediately and left for several hours with adequate but not excessive ventilation.

Cheers, Sofa Spud
Sorry Editor - I completely forgot - I haven't even used the car today. I suspect they'll be closed tomorrow but I'll definitely be getting that Comma stuff.

Good luck,
how to get rid of cheap cigar stink - Altea Ego
No NO

The dogs need to be shown a pond first.. Let them dry in the car after breakfast.
& the winner is... - Editor
Stuartli with the neutradol shout!

Something of a 'ronseal' moment. What I did was listen to S's advice & leave car with door, tailgate etc open all day yesterday (sunny here.) Take for blast to warm through aircon set to max heat. Park, wind up windows, leave car running & set aircon to recirculate. Spray virtually entire can EVERWHERE, after removing rubber mats. Leave to cook for 15 mins. Get back in car, reset aircon, wind down all windows & take for another high speed blast.

All gone. I mean, all.

FYI I've 4 basset hounds who will admirally fulfill the wet labrador approach. Well mostly. Show them a pond & you'll get one of those withering looks from the lot of them. However, there is no need to feed them up with sprouts! I'm considering hanging a neutradol air freshner from each of their collars..

Thanks everyone-brill result.
& the winner is... - Stuartli
Delighted to hear of your sucess...:-)

However, I can't take the credit - it was advice first proffered by another forum member earlier this year (just can't remember who offhand) with regard to vehicle A/C smells and bugs, who pointed out the fact that Neutradol (the original product of this type) was vastly cheaper than the £12 plus Comma equivalent aimed at car use.

I tried out the suggestion at the time and it certainly worked for me.