Cars that call for help - Simon (Anne\'s Other Half)
I found this article on the use of the european emergency telephone number 112 and noticed it mentioned cars will be making thier own emergency calls after an accident.

www.publictechnology.net/modules.php?op=modload&na...1

Any comments?
Cars that call for help - Truckosaurus
Hasn't the OnStar system been doing this in the USA for a while now?
Cars that call for help - Ruperts Trooper
Main-frame computers have been doing it for years, including diagnosing the fault and identifying the replacement parts needed.
>Main-frame computers have been doing it for years, including diagnosing
>the fault and identifying the replacement parts needed.

Hopfully a bit more reliably than the XP 'do you want to tell Microsoft about this?' !!
Cars that call for help - mss1tw
Your computer appears to be on fire.

Would you like to download the latest drivers that may help solve tihs problem?
Cars that call for help - mfarrow
My favourite:

Windows cannot find the drivers for your modem. Would you like Windows to connect to the Internet to look for these drivers?

Back to motoring. How would the onboard system be able to tell the difference between major and minor shunts? Does it know what sort of impact is enough to injure a person? Having the airbags go off isn't always a good indicator.

--------------
Mike Farrow
>How would the onboard system be able to tell the difference
>between major and minor shunts?

That's what I thought....
ISTR something about the talking Montegos, where someone who had had a spectacular smash heard 'Warning - Oil Pressure Low' as they sat dazed in a mangle of metal.
Cars that call for help - commerdriver
It was considered when the pay as you drive technology was being designed, the trigger would probably have been the airbags being deployed, don't know whether it is part of the trial or not.
Cars that call for help - patently
The story is attributed to Chris Goffey, formerly of Top Gear. He was at the launch of the car in Spain and drove it round the mountain roads, lost it on a nasty corner, and rolled several times down the side of the mountain coming to rest upside down at the botom of the valley.

Every panel was trashed; every window shattered. Bits of the car were left strewn along his route down the hill. Most of the interior had detached itself and the dashboard was hanging in mid air in the upside-down car. Hanging in the seatbelt, Goffey says he heard a disembodied voice:

"Oil level low"
Cars that call for help - Blue {P}
I think the driver can get the car to call for help as well, just in case the airbags don't go off but the accident is still bad enough to warrant a call to the emergency services.

I suppose airbag deployment isn't a 100% guaranteed indicator to the computer that there has been a serious accident, as they don't always go off, but it's a pretty damn good indication and certainly better than having no system at all IMO. Especially useful when you crash in an area you don't know and are unable to relay your location yourself...

Blue
Cars that call for help - henry k
>>Especially useful when you crash in an area you don't know and are unable to relay your location yourself.

>>This must be an improvement on my experience of relaying my location To the BiB.
I just wanted to report dangerous debris on an A dual carriageway in Northants. I was totally unfamiliar with the area. I told the operator where I was travelling from/too plus the places shown on a sign for a minor road that was immediately in front. I would have thought a quick check on a map would have sorted it but I got the third degree even after repeating that I was a total stranger.

The story is attributed to Chris Goffey, formerly of Top Gear.
He was at the launch of the car in Spain
and drove it round the mountain roads, lost it on a
nasty corner, and rolled several times down the side of the
mountain coming to rest upside down at the botom of the
valley.
Every panel was trashed; every window shattered. Bits of the
car were left strewn along his route down the hill.
Most of the interior had detached itself and the dashboard was
hanging in mid air in the upside-down car. Hanging in
the seatbelt, Goffey says he heard a disembodied voice:
"Oil level low"

Fantastic!! Provided a much needed laugh.
Cars that call for help - kithmo
The story is attributed to Chris Goffey, formerly of Top Gear.
He was at the launch of the car in Spain
and drove it round the mountain roads, lost it on a
nasty corner, and rolled several times down the side of the
mountain coming to rest upside down at the botom of the
valley.
Every panel was trashed; every window shattered. Bits of the
car were left strewn along his route down the hill.
Most of the interior had detached itself and the dashboard was
hanging in mid air in the upside-down car. Hanging in
the seatbelt, Goffey says he heard a disembodied voice:
"Oil level low"

There you go then, the help call could be triggered by the low oil level sensor ;-)
Cars that call for help - Stuartli
>>Windows cannot find the drivers for your modem. Would you like Windows to connect to the Internet to look for these drivers?>>

This is simple. XP contains a large database of drivers for various reasons, including motherboard chipsets, sound cards etc.

However, XP is around four years old now and these drivers are out of date in most instances - hence the message do you wish XP to look for a required driver on the Internet?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Cars that call for help - Blue {P}
And if it can't find the driver to make the computer's modem work, how exactly does it intend to search the internet? :-)

Blue
Cars that call for help - 007

Do Windows do backseat drivers?
And if it can't find the driver to make the computer's
modem work, how exactly does it intend to search the internet?
:-)
Blue

Specially trained carrier pidgeons.
Cars that call for help - Stuartli
I missed the word modem as the message is a common one...:-(

Silly me....

Nut the basic premise still applies.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Cars that call for help - Dynamic Dave
Ah'em.

The computer thread is elsewhere. Motoring discussion in this one please. DD.
Cars that call for help - Altea Ego
Ah'em.
The computer thread is elsewhere. Motoring discussion in this one please.

Nope its here too.

This is a basic function call in Windows CE automotive. It can be supplied with a blutooth stack (and frequently is) to call out any number its been programed with, given any required input.

Given a positive input from the cars on board inertia switches and accelerometers (there for airbags), postion from the GPS aerial, it will dispatch services.
Cars that call for help - Dynamic Dave
Nope its here too.

I was refering to some of the off topic comments in this thread that started to develope, not the ones relating to the original subject. DD.