Nissan Auto Gearbox - jerky changes - HectorG
I have a 6 month old Nissan X-trail 2.5 petrol auto. On a recent longish run it developed jerkiness in the gear changes. Some time later a warning light came on - this is the 'malfunction indicator' which warns of an 'engine control system malfunction'.

Normally the gearchange is the smoothest I have encountered in several autos I have owned. Do any backroomers with a knowledge of autos know if an 'engine control system malfunction' could cause jerkiness in the transmission?

Regarding the type of gearbox - in a recent discussion thread HJ suggested the 2.5 X-Trail 'box was a CVT with torque convertor. I am convinced it is a conventional auto as it changes in much the same way as previous autos I have run and is not at all 'seamless' as a Jazz CVT which I also run. Needless to say, the dealer doesn't know what it is! The sales literature make no mention of CVT wheres the new Murano is very definately marketed as a CVT. If it is a CVT and it has developed a problem in just 13,000 miles I will think seriously about getting rid, although it is in other regards a very good vehicle. On the recent 400 mile run I achieved 29.75 mpg at speeds around 80/90 mph!

I would appreciate any thoughts on jerky autos - particularly when they are quite new.

Thanks

HectorG