Ford Puma engine - hard to rotate. - fiesta man
Hi,

I recently bought a replacement Puma engine to go in my car and having installed it, I've just realised (by pushing the car forward in 5th gear when the spark plugs were removed for replacement) that the engine doesn't turn over freely. The engine resists being turned when pistons 2 & 3 are approaching TDC.

I called the place I purchased the engine from, and they agreed there is a problem, but asked if I had counter-rotated the engine. Apparently counter rotating the engine would bend a valve. I know I haven't counter rotated the engine, but equally I'm rather surprised at this suggestion, as it goes against my understanding of things - surely if the valves don't contact the piston when being turned correctly, then they won't when being turned backwards?

Everything is totally amicable at the moment, and the supplier has been pleasant to deal with, I just want to be sure in my mind what could be wrong, and whether there's any truth to the counter rotating suggestion.

All comments will be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Fiestaman.
Ford Puma engine - hard to rotate. - fiesta man
Rather stupidly I wrote the wrong title - is it possible to change it to "Ford Puma engine - hard to rotate."
Ford Puma engine - hard to rotate. - Dynamic Dave

Done. DD.
Ford Puma engine - hard to rotate. - sierraman
I have come across this before,someone fitted a S/H engine only to find the valves were bent,supplier had fitted a new cambelt after a breakage without checking the engine.I have never heard of counter rotating causing damage to any engine.
Ford Puma engine - hard to rotate. - Peter D
I beleive there are a couple of engines that warn you about counter rotation. This is due to the fact that they have spring loaded cam belt tensioners and counter rotation can pulls the load on the tensioner side of the cam and depresses the tension with the possibility of jumpinb a tooth. I suggest you use compressed air and pressurise no 2 then No 3 to find out if the one on it's compression stroke is air tight or not. If not then it's engine out and back to the supplier. Regards Peter