Vauxhall Astra Coupe Airbags - James_tddi
Evening All,

I'm just wondering if anyone on here knows whether it's possible to disable the front passenger air bag in my wife's Astra Coupe?

Little one on the way and we can't afford to change her car at the moment for something more practical!

Thanks,
James
Vauxhall Astra Coupe Airbags - Altea Ego
Model year will be required.
Ah, knew I'd forget something....
It's a 51 plate from 2001 - I *think* the coupe model is from '98 to almost present day because I don't recall seeing a coupe version of the latest astra.

Rgds
James
Vauxhall Astra Coupe Airbags - Dynamic Dave
I *think* the coupe model is from '98 to almost present day because I don't
recall seeing a coupe version of the latest astra.

There is - it's called the VXR.

www.carma.com.sg/img/news/daily/2005_apr/16/astra....g

That aside, a quick phone call to your dealer should give you the answer. I'm unsure whether it can be switched off via a Tech2 diagnostic reader or not.
Vauxhall Astra Coupe Airbags - Number_Cruncher
I *think* that DD is right to be unsure.

There may be a transponder system fitted, and, if so, the only way to disable the airbag is to fit a Vauxhall child seat with the correct transponder embedded within it. To confirm that the transponder system is working, the behaviour of the warning light changes when the seat is detected by the system.

I suspect that a check in your owners manual would clear the matter up. If you haven't got a manual, they are obtainable from the Vauxhall web page.

Number_Cruncher
Thank you all for your input - I've already asked my local dealer, whith whom I have no problems with at all (in fact I'm happy to recommend them to anybody in the Redditch/Bromsgrove area!), but in this day and age it never hurts to get a second opinion!
The dealer's answer is no, it can't be disabled.
Not a big deal - to be honest I'm not sure I'm entirely happy with putting a new born in the front, I'd feel much happier with them in the back, but it was a question the Mrs wanted asking.

Thanks again,
James
Vauxhall Astra Coupe Airbags - AR-CoolC
James
I would seriously look and see if you can afford to change over to a five door, we were not really in the position to change from a three door to a five door but did anyway. When the time came to put little one in the car it became clear that having the rear door made it much easier.
I would imagine getting a new borns seat into the back of an Astra coupe would be a real struggle.
AR-CoolC, we have looked and are very reluctant to swap our extremely well looked after and pristine coupe for something that hasn't been as well looked after if you know what I mean.

I have a 5 door Focus hatch, so I think we'll just try to make sure that the majority of the time baby needs transporting, the Focus is used.

Cheers!
James
James,

If you don't have a manual, you can view them here in pdf format:-

vauxhall.co.uk/ownership/downloadManuals.jhtml

There is mention of the passenger seat airbag being disabled if you have the passenger seat transponder system fitted. More info in the relevant manual for your car, as well as what Number Cruncher said earlier in this thread.
I had a look at the manual for our 53 Astra this morning, and it mentions the transponder system, but, if I understand the * symbol correctly, it means that it is an optional extra. It certainly isn't fitted to our 5 door.

I was wrong about the location of the warning light - apparently, this forms part of the courtesy light if the system is fitted.

Number_Cruncher
Vauxhall Astra Coupe Airbags - Xileno {P}
But how would you reconnect it when an adult is in the front seat? Surely this will be necessary for insurance.
Xileno,

If the car has the transponder system fitted, the system recognizes a chip embedded in the special child seat. When the child seat is in place, the airbag automatically switches off. When you take the child seat out, the system reverts to checking the seat weight sensor to determine whether to fire or not.

However, it looks like this system isn't actually fitted to this particular car, and, as such, it means the dealer was right - the OP can't disable the passenger airbag.

Number_Cruncher
Thanks DD - I don't recall seeing any of that information in my handbook though.
My car was purchased new in 2001, the earliest handbook on line was a 2002 so I'll double check over the weekend - I guess its possible some things were changed during the cars manufacturing life. When we bought ours, only the 1.8 and the 2.2 were available!

Thanks once again for all your help and assistance !
James
Vauxhall Astra Coupe Airbags - Blue {P}
Not really a proper coupe though, it's just the same body shell as the 3 door "sport" hatch that is used across the rest of the Astra range isn't it?

Blue
Vauxhall Astra Coupe Airbags - Blue {P}
I was replying to DD's post where he linked to the VXR...

Blue
it's just the same body shell as the 3 door "sport" hatch that is used across the rest of the Astra range isn't it?

Well if you're going to be picky, then yes ;o) The VXR is just the souped up version of the 3 door.

In my defence the Vauxhall website was down last night and I had a quick gander at google images to find it and the VXR was one of the first hits I stumbled across.