Volvo S40, clutch or cable problem? - skiddy2k
iv got an volvo S40 P reg 1996, 1.8 engine.
when i push the clutch pedal down and release it, it sometimes makes a squeeling like sound as if the clutch cable is stressing out a little bit and the clutch feels a little bit tighter when i do so.
would i be right to believe in this? or would one of the parts or something need some greasing?
the problem doesnt always appear, only sometimes.

also, when iv done a lot of driving and covered around 40 miles in a day, the gears are a little bit sticky to change, gearstick has difficulties going into gear, i have to sometimes jam the stick into 2nd gear when the clutch is fully down.

iv herd that theres a treatment thats like grease and comes in a tube that you put into your gearbox to help the gears to change smoothly. would this be advised or can i assume that its the 'selector in the gear box.

any help would be greatly appreciated,
Cheers in advance,
Skiddy
Volvo S40, clutch or cable problem? - Civic8
Sounds to me like you either have a clutch release bearing problem or pressure plate problem.Have you had the cable checked for any fraying in it?.
--
Steve
cheers for the reply,
i havent checked the clutch cable yet,
do you recogn its easyily done to check the clutch cable( for me, as a non mechanic) or would it be advised to take the car to a mechanic to check the cable?

thanks in advance,
Skiddy
Volvo S40, clutch or cable problem? - Civic8
Would be wise to get a mechanic look at it as he may find something you may possibly miss,ie if you dont know what you are looking at/for
--
Steve
Volvo S40, clutch or cable problem? - sierraman
I would agree with steve,most likely release bearing.The stuff that goes in the g/box is Molyslip,may be good for the box but not to cure your problem.
cheers for the reply guys,
if it is the release bearing or the clutch cable,
does anybody know how much im likely to pay to get these changed?

skiddy