? change diesel injectors (Fiat) - artful dodger {P}
Recently my Fiat Marea Weekend 2.4TD has occasionally started showing the warning light for the injectors. This is a 2.4 litre turbo charged diesel (not common rail) that has done 82,500 miles. My initial reaction has been to add some injection cleaner to a new tank of fuel.

For the past few days it has been running fine, but this morning the problem returned. I believe it may not be firing on one or more of the 5 cylinders for a brief time due to fuel starvation.

The diesel filter was change only 6 weeks ago when the car was serviced and the glow plugs were changed last year.

When the engine is started from cold there is some white to light grey smoke that disappears quickly. Also when taken to the red line, there is a small amount of smoke which I have put down to clearing out the exhaust after too much slow running. When repeated shortly after no smoke can be seen. The engine uses very little oil so I doubt if the injector is smothered in oil.

Is it time for the injectors to be changed? I do know in some VW diesels that bore wear can result due to poor spray pattern. Is this known in Fiat engines?

All advice gratefully received.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
You should learn
? change diesel injectors (Fiat) - Armitage Shanks {p}
This link will take you to a repair/reconditioning service

www.uniteddiesel.co.uk/

I did come across another cleaning service the other day, you have to send them the injectors and they send them back fettled but I can't find the link right now. If I do I will post it.
? change diesel injectors (Fiat) - Armitage Shanks {p}
Here it is!

injectorcleaning.com/html/injector_cleaning.html
? change diesel injectors (Fiat) - artful dodger {P}
Thank you for that information Armitage Shanks.

I have been looking on the fiatforum.com and there are several other possiblities that could be causing the problem. They can range from dirty connections in the 4 relays close to the battery, the air flow sensor, the RPM sensor, a leaky diesel delivery pipe, faulty temperature sensor, a split vacuum pipe, etc. All of the faults shown as an injector or fuel system fault and cause the engine to shut down for a short period.

The car needs to be hooked up to a computer to read the error codes. It seems that I will have to book it into a garage to confirm exactly which of the parts could be returning an error code. Oh the joys of complex engines!

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
You should learn