New Car - Simon W
My Aunt is just retiring and is looking to replace her '96N New Shape Rover 200 with a small car to last her pretty much through her retirement. She has asked my advice on it and wants a new or nearly new (under a year) car for about £9k. She would also like some nicities such as PAS, Air Con, Elec Windows, etc with if poss ABS and EBD. She wants a Polo, but I have been trying to steer her towards a Yaris bearing in mind she would like trouble free motoring this time. The only other requirement is that it should be less low on tax so if a year old less than 1.5l. Although a diesel wouldn't bother her too much.
What else would people suggest?

Cheers

Si
Re: New Car - David W
Simon,

I wonder if the Rover doesn't have PAS/Elec windows? If it is the spec she needs then why change? The Rover of that age I looked after up to last year is still immaculate and runs well. And they are already a small car.

The issue of low RFL is a drop in the ocean besides fuel, depreciation (the main killer) and maintenance. I would never pick a car on that isue.

However if she fancies a new car and the funds are there then why not. Polo or a Yaris of decent spec will please her I'd guess.

David
Re: New Car - Simon W
The Rover has probably been the worst car she has ever had and it just seems to be cursed. She just wants rid of it, and never wants to see it again. The Rover does have PAS and the windows, but thats it really. The RFL was just a side concern of hers but seeing as she will keep until it is worth nothing anyway, it has more of a bearing than the depreciation.
Have I missed a blindingly obvious choice, or is there nothing better out there than the over priced Polo and the Yaris which she doesn't like the look of. I think the Yaris would be the most reliable... anyone had any experiences?
Si
Re: New Car - Piers
What about a MINI One for £10300 with the £100 3 year servicing + a few bob for Air-con?

Piers
Re: New Car - Phil
Renault Clio 1.5 dCi Expression + at £9195 is the one to go for. Diesel Car magazine raved about this little engine - it is a real goer and very economical and refined.

Diesel is a good option if she is looking for longevity - and short journeys aren't as detremental to diesels as compared to petrol motors.

It has all the toys required - should qualify for cheaper VED too.
Re: New Car - Andrew T
If this is the right kind of car, why not a 206 instead of a Clio, with the very up-to-date 1.4 HDi engine?
Re: New Car - Phil
Hang on - is VED on C02 now? If so Clio will be easily be in the lowest group.
Re: New Car - Rswipes
If she likes VW's how about the Seat Ibiza (polo with a different body) or the Skoda Favia (yet to be launched polo floorpan etc.) Both are cheaper than the Polo.
Re: New Car - Derek
VED is on CO2 now, therefore diesels should score well. However, the VED then carries an additional loading for diesels (and I think that still applies to ones with particle filters, too)
Re: New Car - Neil
My mother-in-law had a Toyota Yaris before she recently and suddenly passed away. I've been driven in it fairly often. I've also tried a 24 hour Skoda Fabia test drive.

Skoda dealers seem to be more old-fashioned and customer-focused delivering quality service. There is also a huge gap between the sense of quality in the Fabia, and the sense of plastic in the Yaris.

My mother-in-law used to have a Ford Ka which on reflection, she said, had more pull than the VVT 1.0 litre Yaris.

The Fabia is still one of the main benchmarks in the Supermini class, pleasant rather than exciting to drive, and it has a contemporary look that appears timeless. If I had the choice it wouldn't be Toyota.
Re: New Car - ladas are slow
the new baby citroen (i cant remember the name), or the new honda jazz.

both cars will be out in about spring.
Re: New Car - Eleanor Coughran
I found this in Exchange & Mart -
1985(C) MASERATI 425 Biturbo, 30000 miles, £5,995, Gunmetal, CD Player, Air Conditioning, Electric Windows, Alarm, Central Locking, Alloy Wheels, Left Hand Drive, Fast, reliable & rust free example from Monaco. New tyres, water pump & cam belt. A wolf in sheeps clothing!,

She could have great adventures in this car and would be taking the outside lane to retirement! put the money left over in Enron stock sit back and enjoy.

Eleanor
Re: New Car - Andy T
Hi,
I bought a new Clio dci last november and am very happy with it.
The only problem so far, is that the trip meter likes to occassionly reset itself.

Power wise, it only has 65 bhp, but the turbo certainly helps with over-taking and hill climbing.

Economy wise, 68 mpg on the first fill - long slow journeys, but the last two fills with short and COLD trips have produced a terrible 60 - 62 mpg!

Driving wise, very pleasant for long journeys, especially compared to the other-halfs '93 Clio D. Little dislikes are the steering(a little sharp maybe),and the go-pedal(a little sensitive at low speed,just like a '97 1.2 Clio I drove sometime ago).