VW Golf TDI 02 - LongLife oil? - frmarcus
Can anyone please suggest an equivalent, cheaper alternative for oil for the above on LongLife service; ie, the equivalent to VW's 506 00 spec. Must I look for the 'LongLife' designation or would any 0w30 stuff do? I've heard that Halford's has a suitable own-brand, rather than the Castrol stuff I've been using.

Many thanks!
frmarcus
VW Golf TDI 02 - LongLife oil? - oldtoffee
IMO I'd stick with Castrol. It appears that VW PD engines on Long Life really do need this high spec oil and the risks in saving £20 per oil change far outweigh the cost savings.

We've bought a 12 month old Passat TDi with 14K miles. It too is on the Long Life schedule. On checking the oil it was bordering on treacle like, not running off the dipstick. The thought of running with that oil for another 6 months or maybe even 12 didn't appeal so we switched to the fixed interval schedule and we'll pay the extra it costs for the more frequent oil changes offset a bit by using less expensive oil - Millers XFE PD in our case.
VW Golf TDI 02 - LongLife oil? - nortones2
if its a PD engine, don't you need 505.01 (fixed interval) like the Millers or 506.01 (variable) 506.00 is not suitable for the PD: no warranty if you ignore. Other oils are available but the essential point has to be the oil mut have 505.01 or 506.01 approval. Suggest you try a knowledgable supplier like Opie Oils for alternative makes of the right spec.
VW Golf TDI 02 - LongLife oil? - quizman
Make sure that it is 506.01, not 506.00.

I recently bought 4 litres of Castrol Longlife 11 for £34-77 from Midland Car Parts in Derby. I think that it was less than other places locally.

You must use the correct oil in a PD engine, it is much less money than a new engine!

Also you can leave the oil in for longer than a cheaper oil, thus saving a new filter and the oil more often.