Battery Advice - codefarm
Due to one thing or another I have several times been caught out by a flat battery.

Is there a better solution than getting a jump-start off somebody?

I once sold a car to a chap (having previously warned him the battery was u/s) and when he came to pick it up, he had a spare battery and jump lead with him which he used to start it (without touching the installed one).

Is there any point carrying a spare battery like that? Risks?

I've also heard modern car electronics can be blown up with a jump start. Or is that an urban myth?

Thanks!
Battery Advice - Steptoe
there are these 'thingys' around which basically consist of a rechargeable battery in a plastic case, c/w battery clamps, light, tyre pump, etc, which purport to start a car with a flat battery.

saw one being used & was so impressed I purchased one for myself, £20/25.

they work and are much, much safer than carrying a spare battery, however as my vehicles are all low tech I can't give an opinion on possible damage to the electonics
Battery Advice - Tomo
I have one of these "thingys" and have used it on Sonata (interior lights left on for some time, under street lamp so it did not show) with no trouble.
Battery Advice - TheGrocer
I have one of those thingys called a NEW BATTERY!
Battery Advice - MokkaMan
I have recently put a new battery in my four year old car (2001 Y), after requiring a series of jump starts. My understanding is that whilst batteries can last longer than this (six years is feasible), four years is not uncommon and in fact the new one is guaranteed for four years. It is also worth noting that AA type cover is not limitless. I called them out four times in the end and received a warning letter stating that I was only covered for six visits in one year of membership
Battery Advice - Victorbox
"whilst batteries can last longer than this (six years is feasible" .... I've had four Vauxhalls with GM's own AC Delco battery fitted from new and not one has failed under 12 years!
Battery Advice - AngryJonny
I've used the 2nd battery approach in the past on my old E34 (quite advanced for its age). Didn't appear to do it any harm. Of course, that was once I'd managed to get into the car at all - but that's another story. I wouldn't want to carry a spare battery around. If you've a new battery and an old battery that's on the way out there's no reason not to switch them.

I once had Green Flag out with a flat battery and the bloke's approach was to simply connect a 2nd battery to the first with leads. I can't imagine he'd do anything that'd risk the car's electrics.
----
Life is complex; it has real and imaginary parts.
Battery Advice - bikemade3
Advice,
Check the battery acid level and top up as reqd not as i have just done i.e checked it for the first time in 5 years and found the plates partially dry.

Battery Advice - quizman
Advice,
Check the battery acid level and top up as reqd not
as i have just done i.e checked it for the first
time in 5 years and found the plates partially dry.

I have just checked my combine battery, which I thought was maintenance free, and it needed about 3 litres of water. This is the first time I have ever put any in.

The battery is a brand X model, ie no name on it, and is 7 years old. The combine sits for several months at a time, and always starts.

I think the secret of battery buying is to get one a size bigger than recommended, they seem to last longer.

The Dephi battery came out first in an Autoexpress magasine test, I have tried to get one in the past with no success. Does anyone know where to buy a Delphi battery?
Battery Advice - henry k
I think the secret of battery buying is to get one a size bigger than recommended, they seem to last longer.

>>
IIRC Get the correct sized battery so that it matches the charging of the car.

I consider it very difficult to get accurate info on modern cars even on apparently simple items like batteries.

I was most surprised re the following
www.boschautoparts.co.uk/pcBatt12.asp?c=2&d=1

"In a recent Technical Service Bulletin from Ford (who have been using Calcium Silver since 1997 as OE), they have stated that due to the Smart Changing System (SCS) fitted to its vehicles ONLY Calcium Silver batteries can be used.

Fitting anything other than Calcium Silver could result in a severely shortened service life, increased warranty claims and could even cause explosions."

I would suggest that any owner of a Ford from June 98 should check it out on the Bosch site
Battery Advice - buzbee
I've also heard modern car electronics can be blown up with a jump start. Or is that an urban myth?

You might like to look at:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=24318

As to how long before you buy a new battery it depends on how far you want to push your luck, for the money you save. I get rid of mine in the 5th year. Modern batteries can just go without any warning signs.