Car to fit! - deepwith
Help! My husband has a spinal injury and we need a higher seat position than in a mondeo estate! Falling into his (passenger) seat does neither him or the seat much good. Previously had a Scenic but was a "Friday PM" one so would rather not repeat the experience. Have looked at Ford C-Max but small boot not good for dog or childs buggy together. Do approx 24,000 a year and need room for 2x6+ footers, 12year old + his buggy plus dog and the odd passenger(.......see my problem!!) plus driver (me) of course. Not fussed if new or used.
Car to fit! - Adam {P}
Ford Galaxy?
--
Adam
Car to fit! - Adam {P}
Probably a bit too big actually. Re-reading your post, you'd have too many seats but height and space would be ideal. Moreso if you could remove the rear set.

My Dad's mate had a 2.3 (I think) and loved storming across Europe in it. Very comfy at (very) high speeds too.

He got rid for a....wait for it....Mondeo TDCi!! But he's chipped it and it is a Ghia X with every conceivable extra on it so we'll let him off!
--
Adam
Car to fit! - deepwith
Will have a look at the galaxy tomorrow when I go to recheck the Cmax- very persuasive salesman!! Thought it was a little large for needs as older children off to uni.
Car to fit! - AlastairW
Sounds like Galaxy/Alhambra/Sharan would be just the job actually. Children at uni require a vast amount of gear to be carted about several times a year after all! May also be worth considering Peugeot 806/Citroen Synergie/Fiat Ulysse - they are simialr size to Shalambraxy but are a newer design.
Car to fit! - Waino
I totally agree with the comment about vast amount of gear needed(?) at uni. When my 2 sons (both 6ft plus) were in London, we used to fill up the ol' Mondeo estate (SWMBO came as navigator) and tow a half-tonne trailer.
Car to fit! - rtj70
If you're not bothered about new vs. old then hoe about a lengthy test drive of the new Scenic (or even the Grand Scenic). Better and bigger and maybe similar in terms of seating that you've had before?

Sorry to intrude though but is there an extra requirement with regards "12year old + his buggy"? Maybe you need the Grand Scenic?

Note someone else can comment on reliability of Renault Scenics.. I drive a Mondeo TDCi
Car to fit! - deepwith
The Scenic I had a few years ago had two major (night-time) electrical failures, four replacement sun roofs and then filled with water repeated - which transpired to be due to the bottom of the car never having been welded - sort of saps the confidence in the make!!

12 year old has health problems so lacks stamina - hence one of those ghastly blue buggies one sees children in. Tis a back up to enable him to take full part in everything we do - no other requirements for him thankfully!! Also explains part of the high mileage as we make lots of visits to hospital.
Car to fit! - Altea Ego
VW Touran or a Chrysler voyager
Car to fit! - mlj
Mate has a new C8 and I can't fault it. Extremely comfortable and the electric sliding doors are wonderful. As ever, Citroen's price lists are merely an initial sum on which to practice your long division.
If Touran/Scenic prices are what you are prepared to pay then I would suggest you look at the C8 as well. My friend has taken seats 6 and 7 out and he now has a car with 5 armchairs and a boot you can walk around in.
Car to fit! - tyro
If a Mondeo estate had the right size of boot, but a C-Max boot is too small, it sort of suggests that you are looking for a vehicle of roughly Mondeo estate length. The numbers look like this

Mondeo estate - 4804 mm
C-Max - 4333 mm
Galaxy - 4641 mm

Which suggests that something like a Touran (4391) might be OK, but might be a bit short. Likewise, Zafira (4467) or a Mazda 5 (4505) On the other hand, one of them might be just the thing.

No doubt Espada will be along in a minute to recommend a Hyundai Trajet (4695) and he may well be right.

Car to fit! - Bromptonaut
Citroen Berlingo/Peugeot Partner?. Berlingo has same luggage capacity as a Xantia estate but better pax accomadation.

The standard PSA dog guard's a poorly designed piece of kit though!!
Car to fit! - Chris M
And leave either the son's buggy or the dog behind - problem solved!!

Chris M
Car to fit! - Hugo {P}
Citroen Picasso.

Seats are easy to remove IIRC so you can have a number of different seating combinations to suit what you need to carry.

Inlaws have one of these and her sister is severely disabled, she can't bend her legs. Sister sits in the front passenger seat and getting in and out is relitively easy.

Also, try the Nissan X trail. I know its 4 x 4 but when I was looking at my van a couple actually bought one of these for this very purpose. The found it one of the easiest cars for the disabled gent to get into and out of.
Car to fit! - Blue {P}
I really like the Galaxy as a vehicle, think they're nice to drive and very high, so that would get my vote.

However, failing that I would still be having another look at one of the many cars in Cmax category, possibly even a Zafira? Not that I would have a Zafira myself though, I'm not a big fan of the car, but it may fit your needs.

Blue
Car to fit! - Adam {P}
To be honest, the Zafira crossed my mind too Blue but it's so boring. I feel as if I could just fall asleep talki.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

On a serious note though, I suppose it would fit your needs. What does tht do that the C-Max doesn't though? Is it much bigger?
Car to fit! - Blue {P}
I doubt if there's much that the Zafira can do that the Cmax can't, except for the 7 seat thing of course, but other than that the Cmax is a better car in every way, in my personal opinion.

It certainly drives nicely, and having taken a humpback bridge under instruction I've even managed to get one to land safely as well. :-)

Blue
Car to fit! - Adam {P}
That's what I mean. Deepwith doesn't need 7 seats, and the C-Max is an ultimately better car.

I will say this though, I was reading a while ago of someone with back problems finding the C-Max seats very uncomfy. He was shot down (not literally) and it was the only bad thing I've read about the comfort.

Try and have a go in the Galaxy. You may be pleasantly surprised. (Bearing in mind how much surprise a people carrier could give you)
Car to fit! - Happy Blue!
I agree with bromptonaut - Berlingo is very good to get into and out of - far easier than Galaxy etc, And with derv engine should be good for 24,000 miles pa.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Car to fit! - deepwith
Thanks for all the suggestions. What I can tell you all is that if you are under a falling oak tree of some size, then the acceleration of the Mondeo and the strength of construction are a good thing!! This explains why I have not been responding. Son and I are still here albeit with sore heads (fortunately no one in the back) and the mondeo is doing a good impression of a pancake. Word of advice - put your foot down to the floor - police said if I had not, or even braked which is first instinct - we would not be here. Have a Grand Scenic on hire and am trailing the dealers following your help...... don't think I will get the trade-in offered by Ford dealer!!!!!
Car to fit! - nutty_nissan
A friend of mine had a back injury and opted for a Honda CRV. Said is was perfect.
Car to fit! - Adam {P}
Jeeez. Hope you're alright.
Car to fit! - deepwith
Thank you, yes, but shaken still. Have just booked son in a driving lesson to get him back on the road as he is very shocked (but impressed that the old lady could drive like that!!) - although his reactions were excellent - gave me a hug, checked I was alive and the driver of the car in front was helping me to get out, rang police and went to stop traffic before it hit the tree. If it happened on the journey earlier in the day I would have lost both my sons as they were in the back for that trip.
Up-date and thanks - deepwith
Many thanks for the suggestions for a car for us. Have had great fun test driving and checking out the suggestions - also rating salesmen!!!!! Fiat and Toyota lost the sale before we even began by their attitude. Peugeot (Poole) I am really sorry the 807 was not for us - but rate your staff really highly. Presently have the X-Trail (thank you Hugo, we had not considered any similar); Grand Scenic , Galaxy on the list. Have yet to look at the Touran, Berlingo. Really surprised at the limited leg room in the passenger side of the Mazda 5. Search goes on!!

{Moved to original thread as related. DD}