KIA Rio - pmh
Looks a bargain, particularly diesel - HJ road Test makes it look excellent value.

Has any body got real life experience of ownership, spare parts availability (eg for other models), etc. Dealer / head office attitudes, loan cars in event of problems..... Do they share any technology with other makers? Do they have a presence in France?

Nearest garages are all significant journeys (despite living in Home Counties North), so any problems would not be just an inconvenience.

--

pmh (was peter)

KIA Rio - Happy Blue!
KIA - part of Hyundai group. Dealers usually small and friendly. We have found parts availability for unusual internal trim items to be adequate (one month) but suspect for more usual mechanical and external parts to be better.

We know loads of people with Hyundais and there have been no problems that we know of. Generally not so hi-tech so as to cause huge problems, but this leads to less than class leading economy. All in all, a good budget buy.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
KIA Rio - artful dodger {P}
The Rio sounds like a good deal against other similar size cars. However will they depreciate badly in the short term?

Depreciation might depend on whether they are very reliable and cheap to repair. They are certainly in a low insurance group (4/5) and have good fuel economy. They might not have street cred with youngsters and could influence the second hand demand.

Personally I would go and have a look as if HJ is recommending it, it must be worth considering.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to add to the thread.
KIA Rio - Xileno {P}
It's ok but they need to spend more on the interior. Acres of cheap looking grey plastic.

Overall a good car though.
KIA Rio - Big Bad Dave
We?ve got a 1.4 Kia Rio in the car park on test this week and it has acres and acres of snot coloured plastic and fabric. It really is quite nauseating. Having said that, I think it?s a really pretty car. We?re featuring it in a comparison with the Renault Thalia (Poland?s bestseller), and it wins hands down. I like it. It sells for 8k here.
KIA Rio - MichaelR
Hmmm, buying a Kia Rio. Much like... buying a new dishwasher. Surely you can find something at least marginally more exciting?
KIA Rio - pmh
Badge snobbery? - what does an (old) Mondeo owning (young) man know about buying dish washers?

I have an eclectic mix of cars, this will just add to the fleet.

PS I quote from encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/eclectic

Eclecticism is an approach to thought that does not hold rigidly to a single paradigm or set of assumptions or conclusions, but instead draws upon multiple theories to gain complementary insights into phenomena, or applies only certain theories in particular cases. This is sometimes inelegant, and eclectics are sometimes criticised for lack of consistency in their thinking, but it is common in many fields of study. For example, most psychologists accept parts of behaviorism, but do not attempt to use the theory to explain all aspects of human behavior. Similarily, a physicist may use Newton's laws for predicting the motion of baseballs, but will switch to the relativity for predicting motion of galaxies or to quantum mechanics for the one of subatomic particles.

--

pmh (was peter)

KIA Rio - Adam {P}
I have to say, I'd rather have Michael's Mondeo any day of the week than a brand new Kia Rio. And I'm no great fan of the Mondy.
--
Adam
KIA Rio - DavidHM
KIA seems to be in a transitional phase at the moment.

There are no hilarously cheap Picantos around, over a year after launch. The same goes for Sorrentos and the Sedona holds its value well, espeially considering its odd engine range (thirsty, gutless V6 and thirsty, gutless diesel). If the new Rio holds its value like them, then it will be a superb buy if it's anywhere near as good as HJ says.

I'm no great fan of the new Sportage and it's probably seems to early to say, but I guess it's okay for what it is.

However the Cerato, Carens and Magentis are image free, depreciation disasters, the Carens mainly because of its looks and because it's a surprisingly impractical MPV, the others because they simply don't stand out in any way whatsoever. Admittedly they're cheap in the first place but they lose so much money that a six month old Ford, Vauxhall, Toyota or Mazda has to make much more sense.

The Rio though looks cute and seems to drive well - a bit like a cross between a new Astra and a new Focus, though it's actually about a foot shorter and only slightly larger than a Fiesta. I have no idea who on earth would buy the petrol version ("I'll have the slower, thirstier version please" at the same price) unless they're going to slap £1k cashback on it three months after launch. Even so, if it's spacious and depreciation is acceptable, it's worth a look, particularly the diesel.
KIA Rio - MichaelR
It's certainly not badge snobbery - I drive a Ford and last had a Citroen, so I'm hardly peering out from behind the wheel of anything worth being snobby about.

I've not driven a Rio, merely had a look around one at a Motorshow. It was..... well, like a dishwasher really. a Tool - for taking people from A, to B. That was my opinion anyway :)
KIA Rio - Adam {P}
Just had a look now.

The front headlight on the main page reminded me of a Mitsubishi Colt. The rest of the car looks dull to me. There is one part that's "interesting" though - the rear lights. That's about it in my opinion.

I'll stress though, I'm certain Kia don't aim it at me. It's something my Mum would like. That's about it.
--
Adam
KIA Rio - tyro
HJ

What's the refinement / noisiness of the car like - in particular, the diesel engine?
KIA Rio - AndyT
Quote from road test; "front wipers with mist function"

Pardon my ignorance, but what's a mist function?
KIA Rio - Adam {P}
Is it not the squirty things?
KIA Rio - Altea Ego
Is it not the squirty things?

Spray SPRAY'ie things

squirty! -- sheez
KIA Rio - AndyT
Ahh, spray jets, as opposed to squirty jets... ;o)
KIA Rio - Adam {P}
Hj,

I noticed that and for a split second though it was all the rear light which would have made it all the more interesting!
--
Adam
KIA Rio - Tomo
Very interesting. As it happens, I do not need a cheapish new car at the moment, but if I did it looks like I might very well be back to diesel (once had a Regata turbo). Following HJ before, I had the V6 Kia Magentis, and that was a very good car for the money - if rather plain, hence present Sonata which is the same thing with knobs on.

As regards this new Rio, what puzzles is why anyone is expected to want the petrol version!

KIA Rio - bazza

As regards this new Rio, what puzzles is why anyone is
expected to want the petrol version!

With the price of diesel as it is and expected to go higher compared to petrol, there is no advantage in diesel on an economic basis unless one's annual mileage is very high. Also, as has been discussed on many threads, the modern diesel is a very complex beast,and can be a real cost liability out of warranty (just look at the Tdi threads on here So a small petrol engine, with its relative simplicity, still has its appeal and a place in the modern scheme.
KIA Rio - Blue {P}
If you are paying the same for the diesel as the petrol then yes, there is a distinct advantage in the diesel over the petrol, even if you only do a few thousand miles per year.

Put it this way, the difference in fuel consumption is significant, the difference in price is only a few percent.

Blue
KIA Rio - Altea Ego
There is EVERY reason to buy a diesel over a petrol where the purchase price is the same. Diesel would need to get over 30% dearer to knock holes with that fact on any mileage.

but

with the exception of Kia, most manufacturers charge too much of a premium for the oil burner so killing the economics.

KIA Rio - Aprilia
It always amuses me when BR'ers post comments about cars they know nothing about and have never driven. 'Boring' seems to be a adjective often aimed at Japanese/Korean cars - presumably on the basis that they do the job they were intended to do and don't break down very often (thus the owner misses out on the excitement of not knowing whether he will reach his desintation or not).

I have not actually seen or driven a 2005- Rio, however it does look good and I'm sure that it will be reliable (most Hyundai/Kia powertrain and electrical parts actually have their origins in Mitsubishi parts).

Incidentally, the talk in the motor industry 'technical' press is of a hybrid petrol/electric Kia Rio next year (the Koreans are working on it right now). Could be an interesting car if it comes to the UK.....
KIA Rio - Adam {P}
Ohhh Aprilia,

I'm almost certain I said "I've not driven it." Oh yes - I did;

>>It just so happens that I haven't and was commenting on the looks of it which I find dull. I'm sure it's a very capable car - much the same as I'm sure the BMW 1 series drives very well but I shall not be buying one because quite frankly, I think a Ford Anglia has nicer lines.<<

I've never driven it. Nor do I have any inclination to do so. I never said "I'm sure it's boring to drive" - I simply commented on the looks but obviously because it's a Kia I've got to like it because it's the paragon of reliability - never mind that it looks like my washing machine. It's not the fact it's a Kia, it's the fact it's boring. What exactly do I need to know in order to decide if I like it or not? I've seen the pictures, and I think it's ugly. Job done. Simple as. I hope the people who buy them are very happy and get to their destinations on time with no breakdowns and wish them the best of luck.
KIA Rio - Aprilia
Ohhh Aprilia,
I'm almost certain I said "I've not driven it." Oh yes
- I did;

Wasn't refering specifically to your comment - however it is a general theme not just on this thread. Can't see it looks any more boring than any other supermini. I have worked on Kia's and Hyundais in the past and they mostly drive OK (not sportscars, but then they are not marketed as such) - the little ones are not much different to say, a Corsa. They are put together OK. Just watch out for some of the parts prices, which can be a bit more than you'd expect for a 'cheap' car. There are some cheaper independent part suppliers out there though.

Judging by HJ's road test this Rio makes a better buy than a Diesel Polo....

KIA Rio - Adam {P}
Sorry - didn't mean to sound so sarcy Aprilia - I read it as a dig at me but that's no excuse. (The fact I've only had 4 hours sleep is ;-))

To balance it out a little, I don't like superminis in general so that probably skews things a little. I'd have to say the nicest looking is a Clio but only in 172 guise ;-) but even then I wouldn't have one. From that point of view I can see why people who traditionally buy small cars would consider it.
KIA Rio - peterb
I HAVE driven the old Rio ("free" hire car as part of a package) and it was pretty bad. So bad that it would take much to pursuade me to consider a new one.

Petrol engine (refinement and performance),autobox, handling and cabin materials were all very poor. Equipment was good and it didn't use much petrol.

I'm sure the new one is an improvement, but aren't we into the used MkI Focus price range here?
KIA Rio - BobbyG
From HJ's review:

" and the indicator stalk on the more logical right side of the column."

What makes it more logical? Every car I have driven for the last 18 years has had the indicators on the left IIRC. Indicators left, wipers right. Perfectly logical!
KIA Rio - Altea Ego
agreed
KIA Rio - Dynamic Dave
The last car I drove where the indicator stalk was on the right and wipers on the left was my old Austin Allagro. At the time I was learning to drive in a Metro. The Metro had them the other (and correct way) around, IMHO. I found it far easy to operate the indicators in the Metro and had no issues with changing gear either.

And as I now drive an auto, I still have no issues with the indicator stalk being on the left.

Next you'll be telling us that left foot braking is the way forward o)
KIA Rio - Altea Ego
I dont recall having to change gear at the exact same moment I needed to indicate.

I have driven cars with it the other way round. Makes not the slightest difference (apart from wiping when you want to signal till you get used to it)
Indicators - Tomo
Quite right HJ!

I have driven a few things, and every time I had to change to left hand indication I had to pause and think, not always successfully, which is not good.

The other way it just falls naturally into place.

Indicators - pmh
With modern electronics I cant understand why manufacturers cant make all the switch functions programmable!

All your cars in one family can then be adapted to the same standard for major functions, (or make the car adapt to a given drivers preferences).

All you have to do is then add a CTL ALT DEL buttons to get you out of trouble.

The trouble is it would not apply to my aging fleet!

--

pmh (was peter)

Indicators - Steptoe
wouldn't be surprised if some manufacturer soon introduces the 'innovotive' feature of an indicator in the middle of the steering wheel, I notice the horn button has crept back there on some makes and who is it that's just invented the 'start' button?
KIA Rio - CJay{P}
Yes, this is very true.
KIA Rio - Aprilia
Years back, all UK-market Jap cars had the indicators on the right, as did all British cars. When they started to produce 'European' interior trim packs they stuck them on the left for reasons of economics. Similarly, Mercedes always used to move indicators to the right for the UK. Its the logical place since one often needs to indicate just before a corner when also needing to change gear. Obviously you can get used to indicators on the left and not have a problem (or 'issue' - which seems to be the trendy word for 'problem' these days) - but its not ideal.
KIA Rio - Aprilia
PS- anyone remember the early Cit BX with the indicator as a rocker switch on a little 'pod' - what a mad idea that was!
KIA Rio - Big Bad Dave
Yeah on motorways and such I like to hold wifey?s hand or rest it on her knee but it makes it a pain to indicate. I?d like to see them put back on the right, that hand never has to leave the wheel.

X-wife had a Mazda 323 with indicators on the right which made it easier to grip her around the throat and still maintain good lane discipline.
KIA Rio - daveyK_UK
ATTN - honestjohn

2 quick questions about the car.

1. the paintwork - kia and hyundais in the current range have very poor paint quality. was there anything about the rio which concerned you with the paint quality?

2. gearbox - did it select and reverse freely - not needing 2 attempts at the clutch( still even on the newer picanto, reverse selector can be tricky).

i have no doubt - the rio will be rock hard reliability.
i would expect a few cabbies to pick these up especially with the unlimited mileage warranty.

the new hyundai accent will be based on the same platform - however expected an extra grand more for the same car, but you do get the 5 year warranty with the hyundai.

no one can doubt - the koreans need massive applause for showing up the european unrelaible junk manufactures in two ways.
1. offering a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty - still nothing similatr form the euro boys.

2. diesel for the same price of a petrol - normally the euro boys rape you for an extra grand on top.

my only concern for this car - will be the extortionate parts cost. dont dare crash it - you would be best advised to beg your insurance company to write it of.
the cost of parts for hyundai and kia is disgusting.

hope they sell well. i will certainly be looking round the salvage yards for one once they have been around for a year or two.

if your life involves around image - go waste more money on a unreliable, ugly polo.

KIA Rio - Aprilia
DaveyK - I doubt many cabbies will be buying Rio's - a little too tight in the back I think!

If you think Kia and Hyundai warranties are good in the UK then you should check out their US warranties - 10 year or 100000miles on the powertrain!

Kia and Hyudai parts are very cheap in the US and most of Europe. The relatively high UK parts prices are down to the importers rather than the parent company.
KIA Rio - v0n
Yeah, the new Rio is slightly too small, half way between Fiesta size and old Focus, closer to Polo than to Golf. That's not where the market is. Most buyers in Europe look for something Astra/Golf/Focus/Leon sized. Something that can let us drive home with a flatpack from IKEA on folded seats, swallow shopping trolley from B&Q's garden section or a case of beer at costco. That's what sells.
Just a wee bit longer, to accomodate bigger boot and they would have absolute winner on their hands this time.
KIA Rio - uk2usa
(or 'issue' - which seems to be the trendy word for
'problem' these days) - but its not ideal.

>>

LOL. I found this 'issue' hilarious when I first crossed the pond. Seems to have crept into common usage over there as well.
KIA Rio - ajit
That's where they are on every single RHD car in the
Far East: Japan, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia: all on the right hand
side of the column.
HJ

Unless you are in a Ford (mazda variants excepted) / GM car assembled in SE Asia - it is infuriating whne they make cars "tailored" for local markets and do not go the full mile. quite easy to notice a Ford owner driving a jap car and vice versa....am in the same boat having been motorong in Claifornia where controls are reversed for logical reasons
KIA Rio - Happy Blue!
The HJ roadtest refers to a Rio III. I think I know what the Rio II was, (long ugly hatchback), but what was Rio I?
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
KIA Rio - T Lucas
I have rented Kia Picantos from Hertz in Spain a few times recently,and i think even ignoring the price tag they are a very good car.When you consider the price tag you have to wonder why anyone bothers with some of the offerings from Fiat,Renault,Citroen etc.Car as domestic appliance,well i can fit a washing machine with all its packaging into a Picanto.Great little car.
KIA Rio - Happy Blue!
Ah!
--
KIA Rio - Flying Red
I've just had a look at the 360 degree views on Kia's website. I can't see any reason for dismissing this car for its looks - it appears well proportioned and contemporary.

The front reminds me of Mazda, the C pillar is a little Corsa-ish and if it drives as well as HJ writes then it's a strong contender for bread and butter motoring.

We tried a Honda Jazz on Friday and really liked it however the Rio appears to do everything the Jazz does for almost £4k less.
KIA Rio - andymc {P}
The diesel engine - is it Kia's own, or is it shared with the likes of Hyundai or some other manufacturer?
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
KIA Rio - Aprilia
The diesel engine - is it Kia's own, or is it
shared with the likes of Hyundai or some other manufacturer?
--
andymc

Traditionally Hyundai/Kia (same company) have used Mitsubishi powertrain designs (or modifications of them). The big Sedona engine is based on a Mitsi design with Delphi Diesel injection system (same as on a Ford TCDi). A delear friend of mine sold one of these (2002 model) and it came back a month later with a fault on the injection system. It was with the Delphi agents for a month and came out with a bill for over £3k for a new pump and injectors. My mate suspects mis-fuelling, but can't prove anything, so a lot of money lost on that sale! It could happen to almost any modern Diesel though - although the Delphi system seems to be the most problematic.
KIA Rio - andymc {P}
That's interesting Aprilia - as an aside, do you know if the diesel in facelifted Mazda6 uses the same Delphi system as the TDCi? Had been toying with the idea of one of these (Mazda6) for the future.
--
andymc
KIA Rio - artful dodger {P}
HJ

I certainly agree with your comment about having indicators on the right hand side of the column of a RHD car. My last car had this and my current one has the "conventional" indicators on the left. In use indicators on the left are not as easy to use, but there again switching between cars means I do not have to think which hand to use as they are now all on the left.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to add to the thread.
KIA Rio - adverse camber
Like a mundaneo tdci for example ?
KIA Rio - mjm
Aprilia,

yes I had an early BX with the (non self-cancelling)indicators on the binnacle. After driving Sierras,Cavaliers etc, the Citroen was so different with drum speedometer, linear led tacho etc that the indicators seemed to be quite in keeping with the rest of it!
KIA Rio - matstro
Well fancy seeing this thread! We?ve just come back from looking round some garages for a car for my wife and popped into a KIA dealer. Saw the NEW 4 day old Rio and quite impressed. Didn?t have a test drive but amazing to hear of the same price for diesel/ petrol deal and all for under 8k for which you?d buy a 2 to 3 year old Focus with 30k on the clock. It really does seem to good to be true. I think we?ll sort a test drive in the week. Btw looks wise the difference between the old RIO and the new one is like chalk and cheese - obviously engine wise the new ones light years ahead as well.

I know a few people who have Sedonas and Sorrentos and I've been waiting for the tales of woe but they don't come. It seems these cars really are that good?
KIA Rio - Aprilia
I know a few people who have Sedonas and Sorrentos and
I've been waiting for the tales of woe but they don't
come. It seems these cars really are that good?

Kia have tended to use cast-off Japanese technology. The Sedona and Sorrento don't drive that great - but they 'do what it says on the tin'. Kia trim has been a little 'dodgy' in the past.
A friend of mine had a terrible expense with a Diesel Sedona that went wrong just after he sold it (he's a trader and had to stand the repair). A few years ago he also sold a low-mileage used Sorrento and IIRC it lost 3rd gear and he had to pay for a gearbox rebuild. Other than that, no horror stories.

Obviously the Koreans are upping their game though (like the Japanese before them) and the latest cars appear to be good (although I don't have any personal experience of them).

Once out of warranty (only 3 years in the UK) they can become expensive to run because parts prices are rather high and the aftermarket is very thin for these brands. I would worry about the Diesel Rio because of the likely cost of any repairs. Its a CR turbo'd engine and a major injection fault could write off a 4-year-old car. Having said that, it won't happen to most owners and I can see that the Rio would make a very tempting proposition for someone want a small economical car.
KIA Rio - Carmad 10000
just changing the subject quick - this reminded me of my local garage's advert in the window. Based on the Duran Duran lyrics...

"her name is Rio and shes under 7 grand"

Made me chuckle