Unroadworthy car - transitman
Just bought an unroadworthy car from a private seller so basically no Sale of Goods Act and all that.
Just wondering if i can goto the police, report them.
Anyone had any experience of this or can give any advice.
By the way it was bought on a well known auction site so again don't think i have any rights.
I can fix it myself but thats obviously not the point.
Thanks for any advice
UNROADWORTHY CAR - Civic8
What is wrong with it, would be helpfull if we all knew
--
Steve
UNROADWORTHY CAR - DavidHM
Calm down dear, it's only a commercial.

Was the vehicle as described? If so, Sale of Goods Act or not, you didn't have to go through with the transaction and the auction site's terms and conditions would support you on this.

I presume that the unroadworthiness is more serious than a broken bulb. That said, is it something that the seller would actually have noticed? Have you even approached them and explained to them the problem/discrepancy with the description? Most online auction sellers (though not all) are pretty reasonable when it comes to fixing problems.

It's unlikely that the police would be interested but in theory, it's a criminal offence to sell an unroadworthy vehicle. Have a look here tinyurl.com/dg5mu for a summary of the law.
UNROADWORTHY CAR - martint123
It's unlikely that the police would be interested but in theory, it's a criminal offence to sell an unroadworthy vehicle. Have a look here tinyurl.com/dg5mu for a summary of the law.

That refers to a page advising businesses, not private sales.

Martin
True, but the Road Traffic Act 1988 s.75 applies to anyobdy, not just businesses. It's not trading standards legislation but generally applicable road traffic law.
UNROADWORTHY CAR - patently
What did the seller say about the car? Suggest you print off the auction page now, while it is still there.

But if the car is as described, I suspect there is no comeback.
My "Was the vehicle as described? If so" should of course have been "If not"... kind of an important difference.
UNROADWORTHY CAR - Xileno {P}
I don't think you have any rights or comeback at all.
Sorry.