Calais to Paris - Stonk
I need to drive to Paris & back in a day. Does anyone know a realistic estimate of the time it would take to drive from Calais To the Paris ringroad? Times would be just out of UK rush hours both way.

Many thanks.
Calais to Paris - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Well I did it in stages on holiday, August, Calais- Amiens- Paris over a couple of days.Major road works at Paris end of the autoroute.
But IIRC ~4 hours total.Lucky to find an underground car park near to the Metro.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Calais to Paris - Roly93
Well I did it in stages on holiday, August, Calais- Amiens-
Paris over a couple of days.Major road works at Paris end
of the autoroute.
But IIRC ~4 hours total.Lucky to find an underground car park
near to the Metro.

This is a very generous estimate, 2.5 hrs would be more realistic provided it is OOH.
Well I can but report how long it took me as an aggregate.I was cruising at the posted limit on the autoroute allowing for spedometer flatter.The roadworks and signs were difficult and alien to me.I was very unhappy and nervous with the other drivers trying to ram me.And vice versa possibly.
AA web site says 3 hours via Amiens- I assume that does not allow for delays of any kind.
Good luck- the Paris suburbs were one of the worst driving experiences of my life and I did not even get onto the peripherique proper.
--
Calais to Paris - Stonk
Well all info is grateful thank you.

I need to swap a car with my parents as thier headgasket went on their trip to the UK (ex-pats -live in SW france) so I had to give them one of mine!! They went back by Condor ferries and had an awful trip. I didn't want them to suffer that again as they ain't youngsters so booked up with Eurotunnel (£38.00 return!!) and said I'd meet tham around Paris and have lunch (alcohol free - very unfrench) before returning the way I came. Just trying to work out what time to meet them and where so your info is appreciated.
Many thanks
Calais to Paris - pmh
If they are driving up from SW France to meet you, why go to Paris?? Much nicer to meet somewhere like Chartres or somewhere else Just South of Rouen.

Shorter journey, less stressful drive, cheaper tolls.... and a better cheaper meal in prospect!

--

pmh (was peter)

Calais to Paris - Stonk
That's true Peter. I have to say I normally fly there these days (Ryanair to La Rochelle) so am rusty on locations. I will sit down with a map.
Calais to Paris - pmh
Try this link for starters and then vary the stopover points. Having gone via Le Mans to Rouen about 3 weeks ago I found it fairly frustratingly slow ( wait unti they finish the autoroute).

The N154 is generally a good quick road but watch for mobile speed cameras on the older part S of Chartres.

tinyurl.com/cbdpp

I used Bordeau as a start point but the principles apply.

Best of luck

--

pmh (was peter)

Calais to Paris - PhilW
"Le Mans to Rouen about 3 weeks ago I found it fairly frustratingly slow ( wait until they finish the autoroute)."
Yep, the autoroute looks like it is almost ready to open and that section from Rouen to Alencon is slower (though a lot quieter than British A-roads?)- in the meantime, for an all autoroute route (further but may be quicker) going via Rouen - Caen - Rennes - Nantes may be a possibility? (Or the reverse in your parents' case)
Calais to Paris - PhilW
Sorry Glaikit had such an unpleasant experience - driving in France is usually a pleasant experience and his route (A28/A16) via Amiens is (usually) quiet compared to the A26/A1 route. I would still allow 3-4 hours including a coffee/fag stop- its about 280km.You should be able to average 80 mph (without stops) on the French motorways.
I think pmh has hit the nail on the head and I would even go so far as to suggest that, since your parents are likely to have to "overnight" somewhere, why don't you join them at a Logis de France (£30 ish) somewhere not near Paris, have a really good evening meal (with lots of wine!!) and return next morning - you'd probably still get a good fare on chunnel for a 24 hour crossing and don't forget to allow time to stop at the supermarket (Auchan Boulogne - just off motorway) to stock up on cheap beer and wine??!!
Have a look at routeplanner
www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/gbr/dyn/controller...e?
Logis
www.logis-de-france.fr/fr/recherch/index-ca.htm
Supermarket
www.auchan.fr/index.asp
Sorry if this is like one of those posts where someone says "I'd like a Focus petrol engine, which model do you suggest" and the reply is "why not get a Mercedes Diesel"
Phil
Calais to Paris - Big Bird
I'd go for the overnight

Chunnel is £39 for under 24 hours in France , Hoverspeed £34 or 39 depending on time.
Not much more than the day fare so worth the stopover.

Calais to Paris is 2.5 hours for me but I put my foot down. If you do go A1/A26 on the way back watch of for radar traps about 20km before the last tolls approaching Calais.
The first you know is when a nice Gendarme walks over to the toll and waves you into the laybay and relieves you of around £100.

Dan
Calais to Paris - Stonk
Well thanks one and all. All food for thought. Thanks also for the links supplied, we certainly won't be meeting up near Paris now and will go for somewhere more suitable/nicer.

I'd love to stay overnight but I need to get back for work (own small company, big new contract bla bla) However, based on the info supplied it has given me ideas for a short break someother time.

On the subject of speed traps I thought it always a bit risque to speed to much between tolls and I heard they were timed and if you got between two points too quickly up pops a red light and a gendarme will come up rubbing his hands. Not on all tolls but sometimes the Gendarme pick on a particular toll at a time.

As for radar traps I know France has taken to these with vigour throughout the country. My father got his first fine at the age of 75 near La Rochelle. He was gutted. Naturally I called him a hooligan!
Calais to Paris - Roly93
Well I can but report how long it took me as
an aggregate.I was cruising at the posted limit on the autoroute
allowing for spedometer flatter.The roadworks and signs were difficult and alien
to me.I was very unhappy and nervous with the other drivers
trying to ram me.And vice versa possibly.
AA web site says 3 hours via Amiens- I assume that
does not allow for delays of any kind.
Good luck- the Paris suburbs were one of the worst driving
experiences of my life and I did not even get onto
the peripherique proper.
--

I have to admit that you are right on the point that driving in or around Paris is dire !
I have driven to one of my companies office on the periferique, but it is probably better to get the Eurostar to central Paris and then get back out using either taxi or the local light rail system. It seems that when the French are subjected to our volumes of traffic, they are a lot worse than us at dealing with it !
Calais to Paris - Happy Blue!
The French are so much worse at dealing with traffic than us becasue their public transport is so good.

We took out three children to Paris for a few days over teh Bank Holiday. We 'did' Paris but RATP bus using a Paris Visite ticket, rather than paying through the nose for a tourist open top thing, went to Monet's Garden at Giverny by SNCF (First Class for peanuts) and Eurodisney using RER (also Visite Paris) and to and from the airport with only two taxi journeys and no private cars. Wonderful. Don't fancy that in London and thats before you factor in the price.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Calais to Paris - nutty_nissan
2 hrs and 15 minutes to the peripherique, but that was at 90mph all the way down.
There was a lengthy stretch though surrounding towns, St Denis ,and suburbs after the end of the motorway.So 90mph not feasible for me!
--