New S-Class - the remedy ? - Vincent de Marco
Generation-change at the pinnacle of automotive engineering: Mercedes-Benz presents the new S-Class... Technical innovations which make the flagship Mercedes model an example for others to follow... Taking Luxury To A Higher Level ...
bla,bla,bla...
I don't think it'll work - new Lex LS430 is just around the corner ;)

- - - - - - -
I am the only Pole over here.
New S-Class - the remedy ? - Chad.R
I don't think it'll work - new Lex LS430 is just
around the corner ;)

I don't have experience of either but given the choice would probably go for the rarer Lexus LS - IMO the Merc is the ubiquitous luxury limo.

Although in the US, isn't the Lexus LS the more popular model?
New S-Class - the remedy ? - Collos25
No class these yanks
New S-Class - the remedy ? - turbo11
I quite fancy the heated/cooling,massaging seats.The bolsters in the sides of the seat inflate to hold you in place when your driving it on the door handles!.
the seat inflate to hold you in place when your driving
it on the door handles!.

oh yeah, this driving style is quite popular these days among S-class drivers isn't it huh ? ;)
- - - - - - -
New S-Class - the remedy ? - patently
oh yeah, this driving style is quite popular these days among
S-class drivers isn't it huh ? ;)

It's not, of course, but the crucial factor is that they like to think that they do...
New S-Class - the remedy ? - turbo11
no point in having that horsepower if your not going to use it.i would.
New S-Class - the remedy ? - BobbyG
I have bolsters in the side of my seats in the Scenic that inflate as well!!

Mind you, Renault call them side airbags :)
New S-Class - the remedy ? - y2k+4
The remedy to the S-class IMHO, is and always has been, the Jag XJ. Sure it hasn't got the technical specifications you'll find on a Merc options list - but I'm largely in the Lotus-camp for technology - it's largely just a distraction from the driving experience, the only things I really need in a car is a Cd/MP3 player, Air-con/Climate control, and heated leather seats would be nice, but that's it. I certainly don't need the headache-inducing iDrive or similar, thank you.
Just noticed HJ's S-Class Road Test and:
"....relatively new 7G-TRONIC.... But it?s not infallible, on the S500, at least. Its 388bhp and 530NM torque can still come in with a thump on mountain roads when you?re trying to press on. Apparently, this is much less of a problem with the S350."

Much less of a problem with the S350 ? Now that's something. But why ?
- - - - - - -
New S-Class - the remedy ? - cheddar
Smaller engine, less torque.
New S-Class - the remedy ? - NowWheels
The S-class is the only option if you are an African dictator, or aspire to be considered in the same category.

For anyone who doesn't want to be thought of as aspiring to that sort of role in life, the remedy is anything-but-a-Merc (especially an S-class). Even a BMW doesn't carry the same sort of stigma.

But Merc sells plenty of its S-class machines, so I guess dictator-chic is the aspiration of quite a few of the moneyed folks.
New S-Class - the remedy ? - Blue {P}
The S-class is the only option if you are an African
dictator, or aspire to be considered in the same category.
For anyone who doesn't want to be thought of as aspiring
to that sort of role in life, the remedy is anything-but-a-Merc
(especially an S-class). Even a BMW doesn't carry the same
sort of stigma.
But Merc sells plenty of its S-class machines, so I guess
dictator-chic is the aspiration of quite a few of the moneyed
folks.

I'm so curious to know the answer to this, what would you buy NW if you suddenly won the lottery and became one of the moenyed folks? Obviously Merc and BMW are out of the question...

Can't understand your total aversion to a product based on image, as there is no doubting the standard of the vehicles themselves, I can only assume that you really are very image aware and assume that if you were to drive one of these cars then everyone would think you are a bad person?

Anyway, personally I reckon the S-Class is a very elegant vehicle, and would be on my shortlist if I did come into money, failing that, a BMW 7 series would be on there, as would something from either Aston Martin or possibly Bentley if I fancied pure opulance. Suppose I can dream at least...

Blue
New S-Class - the remedy ? - Adam {P}
I was always a BM man and love all the current ones bar the 1 series but after that ride in the E class, I'm swayed. If their middle range model can impress me that much, then the S-class must be nothing short of amazing.

I'd have one and the only thing I dictate is how often I eat.
I'm so curious to know the answer to this, what would
you buy NW if you suddenly won the lottery and became
one of the moenyed folks? Obviously Merc and BMW are out
of the question...

I'd probably get a second-hand and slightly scruffy Toyota Corolla: an easy-to-drive, comfortable, reliable and anonymous car that I wouldn't have to worry about. Not the first choice of thieves, and does everything I need.

If I was being extravagant, I'd be tempted by a Honda Jazz with CVT for ease of driving, or maybe a Civic for the interior space ... tho I do like Toyotas. But I can't imagine my dog enjoying a Merc - I'd be too busy trying dissuade him from damaging the posh interior.
Can't understand your total aversion to a product based on image,
as there is no doubting the standard of the vehicles themselves,

I'm sure they are built to a very high standard, but but I'd neither need nor want a car built like that. The image is a secondary thing.
I can only assume that you really are very image aware
and assume that if you were to drive one of these
cars then everyone would think you are a bad person?

No, I just reckon that everyone would think I was a haughty prat :) Apart from being a pain to park and a waste of money which could be better spent on good causes, that sort of transport just cuts you off from people, 'cos most folks do understand the I'm-better-than-you logic and keep clear.

Dictators don't buy their Mercs because they think it'll make them friends - they buy them to boast and intimidate, neither of which is what I'd want to do.
New S-Class - the remedy ? - Bagpuss
The recently superceded S-Class was the one car I've driven which I found utterly amazing for its combination of abilities. the S350L I had as a rental car was quiet, powerful, handled and rode superbly on the air suspension, had all sorts of gadgets that you find on other cars these days, but just somehow worked better (keyless go, radar cruise control, airconditioned seats, servo doors and so on) and was even reasonably economical. I couldn't think of a better long distance cruiser and a much nicer way to travel than flying. If Mercedes-Benz have managed to better that, then all I can say is, wow I want one!
You guys really should tune in to the German 'DSF' TV program on Monday 13:30 CET to actually see things from 'Deutsche' perspective. Wolfgang Rother (German equivalent of Jeremy Clarckson) presents 'Die neue S-Klasse' - they just worship it.
- - - - - - -
New S-Class - the remedy ? - Sofa Spud
Just been looking at S-Class pics - would look OK without the big wheelarches and BMW 7-series bootlid. Perhaps the stylist was drunk.

And the new M-Class - whatever happenned there? - the rear wheelarches make it look like a road roller!

Cheers, SS
New S-Class - the remedy ? - ajit
Just been looking at S-Class pics - would look OK without
the big wheelarches and BMW 7-series bootlid. Perhaps the stylist
was drunk.
And the new M-Class - whatever happenned there? - the rear
wheelarches make it look like a road roller!
Cheers, SS

I suggest you reserve judgement till seeing the cars i nthe metal. I was not inspired by the new M cLass until I saw one for real and it is different than what the phtots suggest
New S-Class - the remedy ? - rjr
Indeed, I saw one in the metal yesterday and it was very impressive.

The design disguises the size of the car very well and the interior is a big improvement over the out going model.

Also, I think that the bootlid is inspired by the Maybach rather than the BMW 7-series!
HJ wrote:
"Be one of the first to buy a new S-Class and you won?t be a quality control guinea pig."
Can't really agree with that. Niggles happen everywhere, except for Rolls maybe. Buy facelifted, that's my personal rule of the thumb.
- - - - - - -
Some folks seemed surprised by my comments on the S-class as exuding dictator-chic, so I was amused by the comments along the same lines in Andrew English's review of it in today's Telegraph at tinyurl.com/9t68a
.. Dr Hermann-Joseph Storp, explained the purpose of S-class styling - something I have long suspected.

"Everyone must know it is an S-class," he said. "Other cars must get out of the way when they see it coming, it's all about strength and status." As my friend Lee remarked: "Strange they don't call it the Panzer, really."
and further on, in the don't-like list: "the S-class still has associations with fat plutocrats and banana-republic dictators."
New S-Class - the remedy ? - The Lawman
I read that too Nowheels, and I thought of you!