Astra ticking noise - John1978
Hi,

Apologies if this has been covered before, had a good search but maybe not in the right places...

I have an 1999T Astra 1.6 LPG, done 129K. On the way home from work tonight I noticed a distinct ticking noise coming from the engine. It is perhaps loudest on acceleration, but it's also fairly noisy on idle.

If it's of any relevance the oil light came on several days ago for a couple of seconds, but it's not lit up since then and certainly not today.

Does anyone have any hunch as to what it could be? I need to drive it tomorrow but don't want to risk damaging the engine further. Would it be too much of a risk?

Thanks very much,
John
Astra ticking noise - Dynamic Dave
If it's of any relevance the oil light came on several
days ago for a couple of seconds, but it's not lit
up since then and certainly not today.

I take it you've checked the oil level since the light came on? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but from how I read this, it sounds as though you haven't.

ps, is this the same noise you experienced last time?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=22052
Astra ticking noise - John S
I always think the oil light should be the 'time to buy a new engine light'. If it comes on due to low oil level it's probably too late.........

JS
Astra ticking noise - sp30
yeah, the oil light is not to be used as a signal to put in oil, as it is your last line of defence against all the interior metal comononts in your engine becoming intimate.
i would check the dipstick if i was you, failing that, has it got hydro tappets? or, maybe a hole in your exhaust somewhere? (sounds odd i know, but the engine noise is different if your pipe blows).
gravel in your tyre
loud interior clock
hearing aid fault
large cricket in boot

(sp30)>>>force without the aid of judgement will collapse through its own mass.<<<