Car radio in 1993 Vauxhall Corsa - funkstardeluxe2001
I have just been given a 1993 Corsa from my girlfriend, however the radio requires an unblocking code after the mechanics did something during its MOT (I think with the battery?), my girlfriend does not have the code and being a student starting a new term cannot afford to pay someone for one, and I cannot obtain the serial number of the unit either because I do not have the correct tool to remove it to look.Can anyone help please?The radio is a Phillips SC201, and its in a 1993 'L' reg Vauxhall Corsa LS.
Thanks.
Car radio in 1993 Vauxhall Corsa - Adam {P}
You could try Vauxhall themselves but they'll charge.

Failing that, have you seen how cheap new stereos are anyway? £40 ish which I imagine isn't too far away from what Vauxhall would charge you to "acquire" the code.
--
Adam
Car radio in 1993 Vauxhall Corsa - Altea Ego
look on ebay 20 quid will get you an equivalent radio
Car radio in 1993 Vauxhall Corsa - funkstardeluxe2001
I have thought about getting a new stereo,but all im going to do is use the tape deck and plug a portable mp3 player into it, and also remains the problem that I don't have the tools to remove the stereo to replace it,any ideas where I could get one of those from?
Car radio in 1993 Vauxhall Corsa - Dynamic Dave
don't have the tools to remove the stereo to replace it,any
ideas where I could get one of those from?

Any motorist's centre usually has them for a couple of quid.

They look like this:-

www.caraudioplus.co.uk/pp/Radio_Removal_Tools/DIN_...l

You can also improvise by making them out of a coat hanger.

But before you use them, you might have to remove 4 grub screws with an allen key from each hole. That all depends on whether or not the radio has previously been removed or not and whoever put it back in again was feeling lazy.

You might well be lucky that someone has written the code on the radio somewhere.

As for getting the info from Vauxhall, I've recently heard of someone else having no success as their car was older than 10 yrs old. No harm in trying though. IIRC, it will cost somewhere around £15 to £20.
Car radio in 1993 Vauxhall Corsa - dereckr
An SC201 in an L reg, may have the code written on the top, it is worth removing to look. Don't bother going to Vauxhall or using those unlock algorithms from Ebay. These sets often have their codes changed by the decode boys when they go through the dealers and the original Philips code will be invalid. Best bet if you think it is worth it, is to look up a car radio dealer and get the details of a repair shop or mobile decode chap and haggle a cash deal! An SC201, frankly, is not worth the effort.

Hope this helps.
Car radio in 1993 Vauxhall Corsa - Railroad.
Leave it overnight in the freezer....
Car radio in 1993 Vauxhall Corsa - Dynamic Dave

An old wives tale that doesn't work.
Car radio in 1993 Vauxhall Corsa - Railroad.
An old wives tale that doesn't work.

It's a cool trick though....
Car radio in 1993 Vauxhall Corsa - sp30
i had this prob with an astra, there are comanys on the net that if u give them the make model and product id code (on sticker on top of stereo body) they will send you the code for a fiver ! cant remember name of comapny but google knows it.
force without the aid of judgement will collapse through its own mass.
Car radio in 1993 Vauxhall Corsa - AlastairW
Are there any clues indicating the original supplying dealer? I ask because they often keep lists of radio codes on file for years and years. Worked for me with an 8 year old Fiesta.
Car radio in 1993 Vauxhall Corsa - thomp1983
go to a scrap yard probably only cost you a fiver

chris