Honda CRV Sport Automatic 2005 - Deskpilot
I purchased the above car on 28/07/05 and as soon as I joined my out of town route and accelerated to 35 to 40 mph, I immediately noticed an annoying whine. This persists at all speeds above this and on blipping the accelerator, rises and falls accordingly.

Been back to the dealer who is pushing the old "characteristic" of the car theme which I'm not accepting.

Has anyone else any experience of this problem, the likely source or remedy, please?
I find that my new CRV automatic has an annoying whine at about 35 to 40 mph, possibly from the auto gear box, which then persists throught the range.

Has anyone else any experience of this problem, the likely source or remedy, please, since my dealer has not been very helpful.
Honda CRV Sport Automatic 2005 - Chris7
I Purchased my Honda CRV Sport SE Auto from Bob Gerards on 1/1/04, I have only done low mileage and have not noticed any whine, especially as most is non motorway and nominal speed is 30-50 mph most of the time. Perhaps try another dealer?
Regards Chris7
Honda CRV Sport Automatic 2005 - T Lucas
You need to try another example,Hondas are not renowned for having strange intrusive noises.
Honda CRV Sport Automatic 2005 - Andy P
I get a slight whine from my Accord Type-S. It sounds like a muted supercharger. Maybe it's something to do with the balancer shafts (this is the first car I've had that's got them)?

Andy
Thanks for your replies folks.

I must admit that I framed my question simply since I did not wish to influence any response.

Frankly, I've been pursuing this whine problem with my dealer and Honda UK Customer Services since August 2005. I have tested two other identical low mileage demonstrator cars from different dealers during this period. Both of them suffered from the same problem - one to a slightly lesser extent.

It took Honda two months to send an engineer down to test my car and helpful and responsive as the he was, I'm afraid that the official reply received from Honda Customer Services just two days ago was that "the noise was normal".

Needless to say I am anything but happy about this and would welcome any further comment/similar experience that anyone may have.

Having previously owned from new both 1998 and 2002 automatic CRV's and being very satisfied in all other respects with the current car, it looks like I am stuck with it, since I don't think I can afford a Lexus RX300 just yet.
Hi! Andy.

Thanks for your reply re my "2005 CRV Whine problem.

I hate to show my ignorance, but could you please let me know what "balancer shafts" are and their location - the engine perhaps?

Regards,

William

(aka CRV Owner 2005)