Fiesta immobiliser problem - Rumfitt
I have an R reg (March 98) Fiesta Ghia (1.25 Zetec) that has a built-in immobiliser and alarm. The trouble is I've just sold it and I've now discovered it's playing up a few days before the handover :-(

The two-buttoned remote key stopped working first, and replacing the battery had no effect - do the remote and in-car remote receiver need to be synchronised again?

Secondly, the alarm keeps going off after 30 seconds when locked (with the key, remote still doesn't work). Is there a way to determine what's triggering the alarm? The car was recently serviced and something may have been disturbed?

Should have left the thing alone!

Cheers for any help

R
Fiesta immobiliser problem - Adam {P}
R,

Try resynchornising the key as per the instructions in the manual. You may have taken too long changing the battery.

Re the alarm, I'm afraid I've no idea. However, you could try doing the following.

1. Open the bonnet and locate the black switch which tells the car the bonnet is closed. It's quite tall and depresses completely.

Press that (I think 8 times) in and out very quickly until the alarm chirps. You're now in alarm test mode.

Open all teh doors and it should chirp to signify that that action would set the alarm off. Put the key in the ignition and that too should make the alarm chip symbolising that is also protected by teh alarm. Do this with the boot too.

If one door doesn't make a chrip, then that would suggest the switch on that is faulty and causing the alarm problem.

My money (bearing in mind I am in no way a mechanic) is that a door catch/switch somewhere is playing up. Hopefully the above test will help you.

(Leave the car for (again I think) 30 seconds to exit alarm test mode. It will chirp when it has done so).
--
Adam
Thanks for this, just been out to try it...

Handy thing the alarm test mode - it would appear that there was a duff contact with the bonnet sensor - a squirt of penetrating oil seems to have solved it - great!

Don't have a manual so don't know how to resync the remote - if you've got a link or can describe it that'd be grand.

The main problem is solved, so that's brilliant :-)

R
Let's go for a double whammy,

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=24...2

Hope that works for you,
--
Adam
Fiesta immobiliser problem - thomp1983
also read before that you need to put the master/red key in and turn between postion 0 and 1 four times then twice more with the other key

chris
Hi Chris,

I don't think you do. I had the same car with only the remote key.Never had a battery in when I got it so I managed to reprogram it using that method. They may have changed it though - mine was a '96 model.
--
Adam
Fiesta immobiliser problem - thomp1983
it was actually an old post on here for a 96 fiesta i read it in but either way isn't going to hurt trying both methods

chris
Thanks to everyone for their input - I'm delighted to say a double whammy is the happy result - both alarm/immobiliser and remote are working perfectly!

For the record, it was the method depressing and holding down the rewind button first and then three presses of the play button - released them both and a few flashes later all was well when I tried.

Thanks gain

R
Oh my God.

Keep calm Adam.

I think this is the first time that my advice has actually worked. 3000 odd posts and here we are!

Glad it's sorted anyway R. Good luck getting rid of it too.
--
Adam