Are windscreens more fragile... - Steve Pearce
...than they used to be? In the last 6 years I have had to have 4 new ones due to stone damage. In the previous 25 years precisely zero!
Are windscreens more fragile... - Bill Payer
Like you, in 30 years (20 of company car driving) I've never needed to change a screen - until recently.
I've had 2 new vehicles (neither mine) take big hits such that the screen needed replacement in the last few months.
I bought a 6 month old C Class Merc 6 months ago (so now a year old) and almost every time I go out in it, it seems to take some kind of hit that leaves a mark, 2 to the extent that they needed glueing.
Are windscreens more fragile... - turbo11
I think this is caused by more stones,grit and other assorted junk on the roads.I cant remember the last time I saw a road sweeper.Managed to get a road swept in my area after complaining to the council.For months it was covered with stones the size of golf balls.
Are windscreens more fragile... - Colonel Panic
I agree, road sweepers are never really seen doing timetabled work, only roadworks or clearing up after large spillages etc.... also modern sporty tyres seem to have wider sipes which probably throw up more stones. Also, mudflaps are far less common, look hardly any cars under 5 years old have them, and wider tyres must increase the stones they throw proportionally.
--
Sorry for any typos Im very long sited
Are windscreens more fragile... - nick
Plus windscreens are huge compared to a few years ago so a greater chance of being hit.
Are windscreens more fragile... - martint123
I'd say the other way round. I used to get a broken screen about every six months over 10 years ago (50k miles a year) since then just the odd chip that I'm sure would have shattered a toughened screen.
Are windscreens more fragile... - Civic8
I'd say the other way round.

screens of today are much better than the old ones,if you was hit many years ago by a stone the glass was destroyed.Now if you are hit all you get is a chip-depending on severety of smack.having said that,roads are not as clean as they used to be,and getting worse
--
Steve
Are windscreens more fragile... - Roly93
I'm not sure if standard windscreens are more fragile, but I do think the replacement ones that the car-glass companies fit are poorer quality than the manufacturers original part. I had a SaaB a while ago, and had the screen replaced on this, and I know the glass company moaned like hell about having to fit a Saab screen as their usual supplier couldn't supply the OEM part at lesser cost. I didn't complain !
Are windscreens more fragile... - AlastairW
Definitely. After getting on for 20 years driving I have experienced screen damage twice in a year -just small chips so far, but damage all the same.
Are windscreens more fragile... - Dynamic Dave
I wonder if it has anything to do with that cars nowadays tend not to have mudflaps fitted? No mudflaps means more stones get thrown up.