Classic Car Insurance - List of cars that qualify - Chad R
I'm looking for a current list of cars that would qualify for "classic" insurance policies - does anyone know where I can get hold of this info ?

Chad.R
Re: Classic Car Insurance - List of cars that qual - John S
Chad

I imagine there is no definitive list - each insurance company will have its own views on qualification as a 'classic', especially with later classics.

Most Classic car clubs operate a club insurance plan via selected brokers or insurers. Once you've got your short list of classics, check with advertisers in the classic car press and owners clubs for insurance information.

The key differences with 'classic' compared to 'normal' insurance are:

Guaranteed value
Limited annual mileage
Lower premium

There may be security requirements too.

Regards

John
Re: Classic Car Insurance - List of cars that qual - Mark (Brazil)
> Guaranteed value

Ooo, careful.

It is called "Agreed value" rather than "Guaranteed Value". And it not guaranteed. If the market dropped before you totalled the car, then the value would drop as well.

It is more an acknowledgement that the car shouldn`t be valued as a "normal" car and to give a starting point at a moment in time.

However, clearly it is much better than a normal policy, just don`t see the value as guaranteed, people have been disappointed that was before.
Re: Classic Car Insurance - List of cars that qual - John S
Mark

Sorry, slip of the finger - should have said 'Agreed Value'.

That said, I was always of the view that this was an 'agreed' value for the car which was not open to negotiation by either party - hence the requirement by my insurer (and I'm sure others) to review it regularly. Review could go in either direction.

I suspect this could be more of an issue for high value classics - I can't believe that someone's £250k Ferrari, now worth half that, would get the 'peak of the market' value. I doubt my Minor would cause too many problems!

regards

John
Re: Classic Car Insurance - List of cars that qual - Piers
Try the 'valuations' list in the back of a classic car mag. At least one of them has the list sponsored by a classic car insurance company so should accept a car listed as a 'Classic'! Although that would mean an insurance company acting logically.....

Some modern cars are classed as classics - Serria Cosworth (esp. RS500), Audi Quattro etc. I don't think a definative list of all classic cars exists and it's something people argue over a lot.

Piers
Re: Classic Car Insurance - List of cars that qual - peter
As somebody else has said it is very subjective by the insurance company and broker.
I have a TR7 on a classic policy and wanted to add a 87 VW GTI mk2 (for use in the cold/wet), but they would not play ball. (They would have accepted a Mk1). .

However I did find one company that would take the risk as a classic, but it took a lot of phone calls. (I do have 3 other cars on standard policies)
Re: Classic Car Insurance - List of cars that qual - ladas are slow
my sisters fiat 127 from 1982, is on a classic policy, as is a mates 1986 ford XR3I.
ladas are slow wrote:
>
> my sisters fiat 127 from 1982, is on a classic policy, as is
> a mates 1986 ford XR3I.

Of course it is, there there, you'll be alright soon.
Re: Classic Car Insurance - List of cars that qual - ladas are slow
both cars are insured through firebond, the XR3I is now known as a classic, and is even covered in the current issue of 'practical classics'.

Firebond is an Insurance Broker, as such they can insure anything with anybody subject to acceptance. Sadly, for you, Firebond are in Cambridge about 200 yards from the Philips office I used to work in.

You want to tell me the Insurer ?
Re: Classic Car Insurance - List of cars that qual - Tomo
I'vr got my 1995 Supra on my classic policy - got them used to 1985 Celica Supra for a number of years first; mind you, the bill doubled, but you should have seen the other quotes, I think they were trying to give me a heart attack!
Re: Classic Car Insurance - List of cars that qual - David W
Tomo,

Are you sure it's the car they are rating as a classic.

David
Re: Classic Car Insurance - List of cars that qual - Tomo
Modesty forbids me to comment.