Engine horsepower - Armitage Shanks {p}
Just read a review of the new Clio and am interested to see that it is available with one size of diesel engine (1500cc) which gives 68, 86, or 106 horsepower and there are three petrol engines with 75,98, or 111 and they are all different capacities 1220, 1400 and 1600 cc. Bearing in mind that the engine output is, presumably, controlled by a computer of some sort how can they get by with one diesel but need three different petrol engines?
Engine horsepower - Altea Ego
In this application its because the petrol lumps used in the clio are actually quite elderly designs, are easy to carry over from the previous range and hence are cheap.
Engine horsepower - mfarrow
I think it's purely all down to the programming of the ECU, because Renault know people will pay more for more power. It may be that the 106 lump is turbocharged, whereas the 68 isn't. Or different size of turbo used.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Engine horsepower - dieselhead
No need to change engine capacity on a turbo diesel set up to increase power output as boost pressure, compression ratio ,intercooling and fueling can be changed.

A single capacity turbocharged petrol unit of 1200cc could give same power outputs (but much inferior low speed torque) but the consumers in that market sector demand small and large engine sizes. They percieve a bigger engine to be more desireable and will pay a premium for it.
Also I would guess it's cheaper to develop a family of engines using different bore/stroke configurations than develop costly turbocharged set ups that are more complex and less reliable.

Engine horsepower - glowplug
I'd guess at all diesels turbo'd but lowest power 8v, next 16v and highest 16v + intercooler.

Just a guess though!

Steve.