How do we protect young drivers? - BobbyG
On way to work this morning saw the aftermath of an accident involving a lorry and car. Transpires the car driver was at fault, only 17 and just passed his test recently. He was killed and two of his passengers seriously injured.

Also during the week there was an accident where some teenagers were killed down South..

My question is, how do we protect them? Is our test too easy? Are we preparing people to pass a test rather than drive a car?

I just feel it is so sad, and after having to send home some of my part time staff who were at school with today's victim, I feel we should be doing something extra, But what?

Don't want to be too specific but today's casualty was driving a group1/2 car that the majority of the BR would probably have recommended as a first car. Not a boy racer or anything like that which we may "stereotype" any teenage driver to have.

There are many people on here that I am sure will say its a free world and the ones who object to seatbelt, cycle helmet laws etc will object to more measures. But these are kids, who are naive and who are subject to peer pressure. We NEED to help them with controls.

Would it be too much to say not more than 1 litre engine? What about carrying passengers - are they able to drive and concentrate with a car full of their mates having a carry on?
I don't have an answer, but I just think that every day, there is a tragic waste of life, every day there are parents who not that long ago, were proud of their kid passing their test, and they now get a visit from the police saying they have been killed?

Sorry if this is doom and gloom but just feel we need to have some more measures to protect these kids from themselves.
How do we protect young drivers? - Altea Ego
BobbyG.

The pity is its not new. Male youth over the years, given access to an internal combustion engine on wheels, have conspired to maim and kill themselves.

At that age, male youth dont listen either.
How do we protect young drivers? - smokie
This happened to a close friend of mine - his lad had a promising future ahead of him - he was all ready to go to Uni - but was killed at the wheel weeks before the term.

I don't know what the answer is. I'm sure a lot of youngsters have accidents or near misses due to inexperience. But, usual chicken and egg, the only way to improve this is by getting more experience...

I told my daughter I didn't want her taking passengers for at least 4 weeks after passing her test. Also I "looked after" the radio fascia for her for a while. I know she won't use her phone at all while driving (she's even anti hands free right now!). I've been out with her a couple of times on reasonably long drives since she passed her test solely to give me the confidence that she is progressing well in her driving skills. She was going to do Pass Plus but (despite the long summer holiday!!) "hasn't had time" - and now I think it is too late for that for her. I am quite keen for her to do IAM in a year or so - she is also keen (at the moment!).

I don't believe there is much more we can do. I also don't think we should keep spoonfeeding our kids. They have to learn by their mistakes, or others mistakes, and by their experience. It's really the best way to learn.

How do we protect young drivers? - Robin Reliant
Nothing we can do. Teenagers are risk takers, like all of us were at that age. A tiny percentage will lose their lives because of it, whether it is through reckless driving or experimenting with drugs.

It is impossible to legislate for a perfect world in which nobody ever dies.
How do we protect young drivers? - Mattster
No point saying maximum 1 litre either - that will merely make it harder for them to escape hazardous situations that they find themselves in!
--
Mattster
Boycott shoddy build and reliability.
How do we protect young drivers? - MichaelR
My first car had a 1.9 litre turbodiesel engine, and was big, had airbags, and side impact bars.

My second car had, and still has, a 2.0 16v petrol engine, with even more airbags.

I'm a young driver, but I'm not dead. I would be seriously opposed to any ridiculous limits on the engine sizes of cars. You note the accident you saw this morning was a small car, so your measures would not have prevented it.
How do we protect young drivers? - Roberson

I would have thought that not allowing passengers and music for a matter of weeks would only be delaying the inevitable. Maybe not with your daughter, but many would still, upon first acquaintance with the radio in their car, put it on 'far too loud', even after 4 weeks without it. Combine this with the very small level of additional experience gained in those 4 weeks, and you might as well not have bothered. But it?s each to their own and I accept that every little helps.

I sometimes get very annoyed and frustrated every time I hear about another accident involving a person in the 17-21 age bracket. I passed my test at 17 and even at 19 I?m still paying the price through ludicrous insurance costs because I?m seen as a liability in the eyes of the insurer. All because many other people of my generation can't/don't/won't treat the roads with the respect they deserve.

I don?t think there is a lot you can do for us teenagers because I agree that much of this recklessness seems to be built into most of them.
How do we protect young drivers? - Adam {P}
Watch the New Zealand cop show on Men and Motors sometime.

It seems as though every 3rd car they pull over is full of teenagers violating the no passengers after 10pm rule. It's also full of crashes from young people with both full and empty cars too.
--
Adam
How do we protect young drivers? - Truckersunite
Myself and SWMBO were discussing this the other night. Mainly because I use the A31 alot, where the 6 unfortunate people lost their lives in the week. We talked about limiting engine size but then what happens if the family can only afford one car etc, It is not practical. But I really do think we need to do someting, whether that is making the test harder or introducing restrictions as they do in other countries on how many passangers can be carried and no driving after dark etc. But at the end of the day teenagers will do as they please and many just ignore good advice, I know I did when I first passed, how I got away without having any accidents in my first couple of years is a real mystery. I just hope that when it is time for my daugter to learn to drive she is either more mature then I was at 17 or restrictions are in place to limit what they can do.
How do we protect young drivers? - Perturbed
I don't want to stereotype all young drivers, but I think a start would be, until 25, all male and female drivers cars being fitted with a tracking device that flags when exceeding speed limits. Direct feedback to Insurance company if violated. That would calm a few people down!
How do we protect young drivers? - David Horn
Excellent idea, but I think the costs would be astronomical. I think in some cases we have to accept that accidents do happen, but many are obviously speed related.

One of my friend's was in a severa accident where he lost control on a bend at high speed. One of his passengers was killed in the accident, and my friend has never been the same since. He shakes. Constantly. Very upsetting.

Nothing seems to be taught about awareness and anticipation when learning to drive. Nothing about motorways either, although fortunately I had the Devon Expressway to practice on. Why not make Pass Plus compulsory, or just examine to those standards in the test?

I saw too many of my friends driving like lunatics, and I would say the the proportions of boys to girls were roughly equal. I once saw four girls chasing each other around the school car park in their cars.
None of the causes of teenage recklessness would be solved by making the test harder. Introduce skidpan training for example, and every other teenager you met on a bend would be in a four wheel drift.

As for anticipation and awareness, it is part of training and the driving test, but real skill at that only comes with experience.

Sorry, but teenagers take risks. It is part of growing up, and the more you try to cossett them with legal restrictions, the more they will look elsewhere for their thrills. There will always be a teenage fallout where a tiny minority push their luck too far, just one of those things we have to accept as part of life.
How do we protect young drivers? - matstro
I don't think these kids are aware of the basics. Those of which include driving say an old Clio with five people packed in the car, stereo blaring etc etc. The drivers not long passed his test, everyones excited at their new found freedom. The driver hasn't got the maturity to look at it all in perspective and bombs along the road in a car ill equipped to cope when things go wrong. Loads of people in a small car going fast is an accident waiting to happen.

I think newly passed drivers should get a graphic lecture (with all the grisly bits) on the implications of driving in this way - currently, I'd say many of them havn't got a clue.

PS My stepson, newly passed, drives a Clio. I noticed his back tyre was soft so I put the gauge on it - 10psi. I told him and he basically shrugged his shoulders. That car would have been carrying several people in preceding days - see what I mean?
How do we protect young drivers? - T Lucas
So you tell kids about drugs,booze,safe sex and driving too fast,some will listen and take notice,most will not,and some will suffer the consequences.Just remember when you were in your teens anyone 30+ is either a parent,teacher or the law,just there to stop you having fun.It is very tragic when needless young deaths occur,but that is all part of growing up.
How do we protect young drivers? - tyre tread
All part of the Darwinian process of selection I suppose.

I reckon though that we should make everyone make a choice between having a driving license and drinking alcohol. Not just a case of not drinking before driving but a life choice. It would reduce the number of people driving (make them prioritorise their pleasures/ convenience) and make the roads and town centres at night a whole lot safer.

Far more people are killed and injured each year through alcohol related incidents than are killed/injured on our roads, and these are predominantly teenagers and young people but there is less reporting of these. Perhaps the Govt don;t want to lose the revenue off alcohol sales?

How do we protect young drivers? - Pugugly {P}
It would be interesting to see some stats on it, I have a horrid feeling that youth accident deaths are on the up. I doubt whether HMG will do a surgical strike on it, no doubt it will be
the blunt instrument approach in the form of some legistlation.
3400 road deaths in the last recorded year, 6455 directly related to alcohol abuse.

Even the most fanatical car hater likes his glass of Australian Red however, so no action there.
I have to completely disagree with you there. I actually think that while young drivers might be driving more recklessly, they're more careful around alcohol and the car than many older people.

If I'm going to be driving, I don't drink. At all. The vast majority of my friends are the same. However, most adults I know are happy to drive home after a pint or two. They might have the benefit of experience, but in a situation where it's "first on the brakes", who do you think has the advantage?
How do we protect young drivers? - cjehuk
I'm young still, I've had an accident that was my fault, I was taking a risk at the time. We spend so much time protecting children and people in general from things that should be common sense that we neglect to think for ourselves. People don't associate danger and pain to the same extent that they did. So we take more risks because on the whole life is so safe now. Back in the late 40s coffee cups were understood to be hot, they didn't need labels to say so. Car manuals didn't have warnings in them such as "Do not drive standing up" (this is a direct quote from a Touran manual). I firmly believe that people take more risks because it's the only way to reintroduce excitement to their life.

Motoring is one of the ways in which people are still able to do this where you are solely in control of your actions. Now there is a potential impact on other people there certainly, but there's impact on other people when you walk along the street or get on a bus.

Young drivers don't necessarily need protecting, and the more to an extent you try to the more counter productive the measure is likely to be. Just another piece of red tape in the legislative state we live in.
How do we protect young drivers? - Hugo {P}
Recently one 18 year old girl I know wrote her parents' car off. Again, due to inexperience, car full of friends etc. Little experience and major distraction. Her parents are now talking about banning her from driving the replacement with her friends in it. I'm not sure that this'll do the trick in the long term. Until she gets a bit more experience - possibly.

Also, one of my ex colleagues, a young lady recently passed, drove me to the pub once in her first car. I was in the passenger seat and there were three of my other male colleagues in the back. I was scared stiff. She drove like an absolute lunatic, I know she didn't normally drive like that so what was it about having 4 blokes in the car that made her change her driving style? We may have been ribbing her gently over the previous weeks about her new car and "will the roads be safe now?". I don't think this got to her but you never know....
I agree with a good deal of the comments here but today was one of the rare times I was nodding my head in agreement with a post. That post was cjehuk's.

I understand where Bobby's coming from. I feel really sorry for the people this happens to. Just the other week, a lad was coming home from work (a pub-restaurant which I go to sometimes) and he rolled his car over and died. I *think* he had mates in the car but the fact of the matter is, that could have been a Daewoo Matiz or a Mondeo ST220. Who knows - in the Mondeo, he may have lived. Pure speculation of course but you see where I'm coming from.

Just to echo most of the excellent points made, it's life. My first car was a 1.25 Fiesta. You had to cane that to get anywhere and it's the same with a lot of my mate's cars. I've found myself driving a lot more sedately in the Focus simply because you don't need to push it anywhere near as hard to get anywhere and there's a good deal more power low down. MichaelR will agree with me on this - I'm willing to bet he doesn't drive anywhere near as much like a loon as his mates do.

People will die. Young people will die. They'll either do something stupid in the car or do something stupid elsewhere. (Lord knows I have). It's just the way of the world sadly and no legislation will prevent that.
--
Adam
How do we protect young drivers? - cjehuk
Just as Adam says maybe with a more powerful car there would have been less of a problem. I know I could exceed the limit of traction in my first car (a Rover 214S on an "H" Plate) relatively easily. Braking was not that car's forte from speed and while it handled fairly well it wasn't anything special. By contrast in my current Audi A3 you really have to be pushing it to exceed the limits of traction and the brakes are good enough to stop a train. The Quattro models are even more sure-footed.

I find myself agreeing with Adams points and also that of David Horn. None of the people I know (age range 20-24) will drive if they have had alcohol in the last 8 hours or so. Now fair enough we are all educated uni undergrads/postgrads but even so. I know a fair few 45y/os though that think nothing of driving home after a couple of pints or glasses of wine.
How do we protect young drivers? - hillman
Restricting the engine size would not be a safety feature. Two incidents this weekend prove that! One was a Peugeot 106 and the other a Renault Megane. It's not always young men who cause accidents, but what was disturbing is the picture of a lad pouring a libation at the site.

One father, talking in a shop, was overheard to relate how his son explained writing off his car on the main road. "She went out of control, Dad". As though the car was at fault for his own carelessness. One wonders at the father's mental attitude.
I think, in the next 5-10 years, death rates will fall. Simply because, safer cars with airbags will be readily available to the kids who've just past and could well save them one day.

--
Adam
How do we protect young drivers? - tack
Is our test too easy? Are we preparing people to pass a test rather than drive a car?

If only it were so simple. I don't think it matters how hard you make the test. A new (mainly male & young) driver will often try and show off (for himself and his mates/girlfriend) Driving a car to the max' regardless of road conditions and limits is quite often the norm. Of course, inexperienced but careful drivers can also fall foul of accidents.

If I want to make an analogy, there is a certain Man United footballer who has wonderful, natural skills. But, he is young inexperienced, and plays with a permanent angry snarl on his face, lipping off at any and everyone in sight.

Put that in a car and see what you get.
How do we protect young drivers? - Navara Van man
Its not the car its the atitude. My first car was a 1.6 rover 400 foloowed by my present 2.0 mondeo and 3.1 isuzu.

The problem round my way (monmouthshire forest of dean) is excesive speed around bends.

A one litre car would not prevent this most of the acidents involving young driver are involving small car eg corsas. A limit on engine powere will simply unfairly limit those who live in rural areas and requiure 4x4s or larger engines (either to tow or to provide overtaking ability)

Maybee the driving test should feature more emphasis on anticipation eg reading road sighns showing severe bends coming up and not racing upto bends then slamming on the brakes.

Paul
How do we protect young drivers? - AlastairW
If I want to make an analogy, there is a certain
Man United footballer who has wonderful, natural skills. But, he
is young inexperienced, and plays with a permanent angry snarl on
his face, lipping off at any and everyone in sight.
Put that in a car and see what you get.

>>
He's got to go to driving improvement classes or retake his test after a recent incident with his X5. He may well be a millionaire, but underneath it all he is a 19 year old in a powerful car.
Its not the power but the atitude. (non millionaires)

Most young people driving and inshuring there own powerfull cars drive carfully in order to avoid the inshurance going up furtherin the event of an acident.

Exactly Gard.

The first car I had use of had a mere 55bhp. Whilst I was not a reckless driver, I do feel I drive my current 2.0 litre car considerably more carefully than I did the other - why? Well, it's my pride and joy. It cost me (comparatively, for a student) a lot of money to buy, and then a lot of money to insure. If I fling it, through a hedge, backwards, I could probably not afford to insure another like it afterwards.

As a result, I probably drive it more sedately than most regular people going shopping in 1.6 Astras :)

Not all young drivers are reckless and it's unfair to punish those that are not for the actions of those that are - At the age of 18 for example, I began my training for my IAM exam, which I then passed first time and I'll never be found flying around the ringroad with 4 mates in the car despite the fact that all of my friends I have the car most suitable for filling with mates..
How do we protect young drivers? - Blue {P}
I saw the footage on the news of the fatal accident involving a Peugeot 106 and was then gobsmacked to hear of them suggesting a power limit as a sensible soloution to the problem!

Would a power limit have prevented that, or the many other accidents that occur with younger drivers? Not likely when it was a 106 involved!

Only yesterday I watched in amazement as a Saxo 1.1, the kind of car thought of as being safe for a young driver approached a roundabout that I was on in the wet and locked it's front wheels in a desperate bid to stop from coming onto the roundabout and hitting me. I could see that it had been travelling within the 40mph limit but the roads were too wet.

I stood on my brakes and in no time come to a halt, the ABS cut in and kept me on track around the bend without going off in a straight line and I pulled up safely. The Saxo continued skidding and came to a halt in the middle of the two lanes directly in front of me.

Now then, I was driving a Focus TDCi Sport, a vehicle that would be considered far too powerful by those calling for a limit, the girl was driving a nice safe Saxo 1.1.

I'm convinced that if I had been in a similar car to her I would have slammed into her side as I would have been unable to maintain control. Likewise, if she had been driving a decent car she would undoubtedly have had better braking and more control of the car and the whole incident would have been either avoided or at least wouldn't have been such a close shave!

I'm afraid apart from raising the driving age, which would probably serve merely to delay the inevitable until an older age, there isn't a whole lot that can be done.

Putting a substanially higher age into force would be harming to the ecnoomy, how many people under 25 rely on their driving license for work? You see where I'm going with this?

Blue
Although I can quite see your point Blue, I?m not sure if a more 'decent' car would be the answer either. Although ABS and such devises would have made the situation better, in the long run it won?t help. People want technology to cushion them from their own inability to drive properly. ABS etc aren?t foolproof.

No matter how many safety devices like this you plug into a car, they'll still manage to crash. I know of 2 18 year olds who had cars fitted with all the kit and both crashed them, with one being written off altogether.
How do we protect young drivers? - tyre tread
Most young people driving and inshuring there own powerfull cars drive carfully in order to avoid the inshurance going up furtherin the event of an acident. >>

Assuming they are actually insured of course!

How do we protect young drivers? - nick
Make them drive Morris Minors until they are 25.
How do we protect young drivers? - blue_haddock
Make them drive Morris Minors until they are 25.

I'd be happy doing that providing i could drive either of the Minors that a couple of family friends own - one's got a 2.0 fiatt twin cam and the other's got a rover V8!
How do we protect young drivers? - nick
Lol, I was thinking more of 948cc splitscreens.
How do we protect young drivers? - artful dodger {P}
The loss of young lives a terrible waste. Most of the problem does come down to attitude. I feel that youngsters need a driving licence as an extension of their lifestyle. Obtaining a driving licence is a major step in their lives, unlike getting the vote for example.

I think that the period between getting a provisional licence and obtaining a full licence should have a minimum period of 18 months. This would ensure that a youngster would have plenty of time to gain experience with a qualified driver or instructor.

Also a qualified driver supervising a provisional driver must have held a full licence for over 2 years and be over 25.

During the training period the provisional driver should be made fully aware of anticipating potential problems on the road. You can never plan for every eventuality, it was some 8 years after passing my test before a car I was drive aquaplaned for an instant.

Some of the best advice I received was to follow the 2 second rule when following another vehicle and that even HGV's eventually arrive at their destination. If you assess the net gain by passing another vehicle in a dangerous way by what you have saved in journey time, you probably would never have taken the risk - it is just not worth it, especially if an accident occurs.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to add to the thread.
How do we protect young drivers? - Old Banger
Increase the driving age to 18.

No passengers at all (except people with 3 years driving experience) for a year (three "points" per non-qualifying
passenger).

Any transgression at all, off the road for a month.

6 "points" in 6 months (excluding "off road for a month"
above), then re-take test, back to square 1.
If a driver accumulates 6 or more points within 2 years of taking the test, they have to start again from the beginning. (ie, theory and practical again).

Apols, yes, I knew that, but forgot.
No passengers at all? Some of you are being quite ridiculous. That would mean we'd have been unable to use my car on the numerous family trips we've taken with the obviously dangerous (According to some) combination of me, a young driver, my parents and my sister (Until recently I had the only family sized car - parents had a bike and a coupe).

I often carry passengers and it makes no difference to my driving style.
How do we protect young drivers? - matstro
No passengers at all for a year. Yes,yes,yes, thats a good idea. For a newly passed young driver I think they can be a distraction and packed in a small old car (because as said these are what the kids are driving) make it handle far worse.
So they've got to drive totally alone for a whole year after passing - thats handy, they'll miss out on various tips etc from their parents if they are not able to drive a car with their parents in.

Honestly some of these suggestions are utterly ridiculous, and they sound like they are being suggested by over 50's who've forgotton what being young is like.
I also disagree with passenger limits. You wonder why we have gridlock all the time when a group of 4/5 similarly aged friends all have to travel on their own, in their own cars, when they could all have climbed into one?

As I mentioned before, car age/size should have nothing to do with it. Its all down to the driver, and I can imagine that a huge majority of accidents are down to human error. It all points to 2 things. Poor training and attitude, the latter being very difficult to deal with. Let?s face it, all of these ideas that 'old' cars are utterly unsuitable and seemingly outright dangerous is a bit extreme. They are no different in normal driving situations than these newer ones your suggesting they should drive. Its only when things get very messy, that ABS and traction control etc comes into play, and even then, these aren?t guaranteed to save you. If however, these drivers had been trained correctly, they would know the hazards and adapt their driving accordingly, not getting into these messy situations in the first place.

This partly stems from driving schools insisting on teaching candidates to pass the test, not to drive.

Reading through this thread has been quite enlightening and some good ideas are put forward. Although it also suggests that its a miracle I?m still alive. A 17 year old, in a ?93 polo, 1 litre with a 4 speed box, taking a car full of friends to the cinema every week or taking the family to Scotland in a blizzard. Seems like I?ve been living the past two years on the edge!

Probably just cursed myself now ;-)
Most acidents round my way are caused by excessive speed when cornering, exacebated by hard brakeing whilst in the corner.

i cannot understand the floor it for the strait (upto or over the speed limit) slam the brakes on for the bend philosofy. For starters this uses more fuel apart from causeing the riple breaking phenomon in folowing cars and or skids/ loss of control (the driver).

I always try to avoid breaking in all drving situations by anticipation and use of the gearbox /engine ie if bend coming up/ red light by takeing foot off gas/Change down a gear. Why is this method of driving not encouraged. I find it ironic that using the method mentioned I can usually drive most bends (very tight) at a comfortable 40mph (dependent on conditions) (far faster than the floor it slam the breaks on mob.

Paul
How do we protect young drivers? - none
The solution is so obvious. Castration !
How do we protect young drivers? - Bromptonaut
The solution is so obvious. Castration !

Ouch!!. But the main problem is indeed "boys will be boys".

But perhaps with alcohol as too often a contributor.

A much lower drink drive limit for under 25's would be atart.
But you could argue a youngster is more perceptive after drinking.

I mean, my Mum could have two glasses of wine and be gone. I go out all night and drink pints with a few scotches to round the evening off and still have my faculties.

Nothing to do with age. Lower the limit for all or don't lower it at all.
--
Adam
Sometimes though Gard, driving can be fun.

I know I know - crazy idea.
--
Adam
At least three people have mentioned about people being taught to pass their test rather than how to drive.

Can someone please explain how that is possible, because in nearly twenty years in the business I could never mange one without the other.
Well, as you may have read above, not being taken out in the dark is a good one. Not the first time I?ve heard that.

Some instructors don't really go very in-depth with the hazards of simple things like rain.

Also, the mix of road/traffic/weather (granted, the latter is hard to do) can be somewhat limited. Students are taken to the nearest town where tests are undertaken and continuously driven around permutations of test routes.

Not forgetting that the UK test doesn't include motorways.
The motorway thing is stupid but as regards to everything else, my instructor took me everywhere. In fact, most of my lessons were in the dark after I'd got back from school. We went in the rain, and even a bit of ice!

I'd have no qualms about recommending J.M.S. Atkinson to anyone whatsoever.

That's J.M.S. Atkinson. You'll pass your test no problem with him.
--
Adam
We can all name a good one, but you'll be surprised at how many naff ones are about.

I too, think its about time motorways were included, but not after good acquaintance with all the other roads first!
I still have fun BUT i do not need to slam on the breaks entering every corner. Nor do I rigidly stick to the speed limits or another of my pet hates drive very slowly speeding up if anyone tries to overtake. I drive at speeds apropriate for the road conditions eg country roads v bendy average speed of 45-50 busy motorway 60-80 deserted motorway 80- 100 or maybe the speed limiter(autoban!) however I do not drive in a fashion were by my jugment of the road is so poor that I constantly rely on the breaks to haul me out of every situation.

Overreliance on the breaks is proably responsible for a lot of the cars that lose control on snow and ice.

Paul
Not so much over reliance but thinking they will stop you as normal in the ice, coupled with not knowing how to control a skid is a bad mix.

That being said, older people crash in ice. Come to think of it, I don't know anyone my age who has but 3 older people who have.
--
Adam
Why not have a DVLA or inshurance company backed scheme were by those drivers who have undegone skidpan training get lower inshurance. I found my skid pan training invauble - the best day coures Ive ever done.

paul
As I've said before, train youngsters to do a controlled skid and that is exactly what you will see them doing. People who think you can teach teenagers in a way that will reduce their desire to show off, drive very fast and take risks that would horrify us older types have forgotten what it was like to be young.

About as effective as Tony Blair's "Hey, kids, drugs aren't cool".
How do we protect young drivers? - Altea Ego
when I was a driving tot.

I learned to do rear wheel drifts.....

and bigger rear wheel drifts.....

and more lurid rear wheel drifts.........

Toms right.
It is amazing how much fun you can have in a rear wheel drive car .....and an abandoned industrial estate.....just when your tyres are due for replacement.......

......so I'm told.
--
Adam
I can
imagine that a huge majority of accidents are down to human
error.

IMO there are very, very few "accidents" on the road - a
vanishingly small amount, in fact.
It all points to 2 things. Poor training and attitude,
the latter being very difficult to deal with.

The training is fine. Bear in mind, please, that the original
question was "How do we protect young drivers?".
R-e-a-d the reply, concentrate on "except".
How do we protect young drivers? - Hawesy1982
Tom: You're a driving instructor right?

It really is the trianing that is the problem.

I fully accept that kids WILL be kids, but when they get into dodgy situations (which they still will), if they have had experience of them, they may be able to avert a crisis due to that knowledge.

Teaching controlled skids does sound like a silly idea, i agree with you there.

The issues are trying to give kids experience of driving in the dark, in bad weather conditions and on NSL multi-lane roads (not necessarily motorways though).

I fully understand also that if a kid you teach starts and finishs learning during the summer months (March til June like i did for example) and has their lessons after school each week, they may avoid having to drive in the dark or in bad weather completely. However i don't think that you would argue with me that ideally, a lesson or two in the late evening in the rain would do your students the world of good once they get out on their own.

The only way i can think of to implement this would be to include a requirement in the test to use a dual-carriageway (therefore it would have to be taught to pupils), or perhaps having a compulsory 1 year between receiving your provisional license and being permitted to take a test, in order to give pupils the opportunity to drive in all seasons.
Dual carriageways are part of the test.

What would happen if you made a rule that you had to have a one year gap between getting your provisional and taking a test is that people would wait till they had held the licence for nine months and then start ringing round for driving lessons.

The provision to learn at night, in all weathers and on all types of roads is already there, and indeed to take further training after your test.

If you are prepared to pay. Few are.
How do we protect young drivers? - smokie
The test is now more stringent than it's ever been isn't it?

There was talk on here some time back about re-testing for all every 3 or 5 years. Maybe that's a way forward? After all, bad driving isn't confined solely to youngsters.
"What would happen if you made a rule that you had to have a one year gap between getting your provisional and taking a test is that people would wait till they had held the licence for nine months and then start ringing round for driving lessons."

I know i wouldn't. I would still have started learning straight away, but probably spaced out my official lessons more/had less, and driven with my dad teaching me for a much longer time.

Perhaps some others wouldn't or couldn't be able to do the same (couldn't where learning with parents wasn't possible), but i suspect a lot of car 'enthusiasts' - a number of whom make up the more reckless young drivers - would do just as i would have.

Glad to hear that dual carriageways are part of the test. Unfortunately one of the largest driving teaching companies in the UK doesn't consider it important enough to teach it to my brother!

Re-testing is a great idea, but the result would be the collapse of the public transport system under the huge influx of people being failed!
The problem is that most of these suggestions are either useless or just plain terrible!

A lower drink drive limit for those under the age of 25? Unless I'm mistaken it's actually older drivers who have the biggest drink drive problem, they are far more likely to commit the offence than young drivers, perhaps a reduced limit for those over 25 would be a good idea?

I passed my test in the summer 2 months after my 17th, after 10 hours of professional tuition and driving with my dad in my own car. I've had 3 accidents, which were all non-fault when I have been hit from behind, and one near miss that was entirely my fault and was down to lack of expereience (abject panic when caught at a junction with an ambulance behind me trying to make progress and I nearly pulled into the side of an oncoming vehicle) Before anyone questions how I got hit 3 times, one was in a stop start queue, one I was sat stopped at a red light and one was at roundabout. Now funnily enough it was older drivers who hit me, one of them simply because he was travelling far too fast in the wet and the rest weren't watching.

Young people will be young no matter how many driver training courses they go on, just accept that some of them are going to get killed, those that choose a careful attitude (and it is a choice that can be made) will be less likely to kill themselves.

The main thing that could possibly help is better levels of vehicle safety and handling, as in my earlier example, if that girl had been driving a decent car the situation wouldn't have been as serious as it was. Her inexperience got her into the situation, and ABS would have helped her to get out of it. Except it didn't, mine did.

Then there's the factors of overcrowding, small cars with 5 people in don't drive very well, if people could afford to drive bigger better cars this would pose less of a problem. I was most suprised when, with 5 passengers and no luggage, I once had my 3 series mudflaps ground going around a tight corner, god knows how the usual small car would have dealt with it, probably rolled over or something.

Even then, better vheicles will only help those who take a good attitude to driving, and that is entirely what it comes down to.

Oh, I still think that new drivers should be forced to watch a gruesome and horrific slide show of the aftermath of some accidents involving careless or stupid driving.

Blue
RE: The big/small powerful/underpowered car debate

I was much safer on the road once i had my 306/Escort than i was in my mum's 1.0 Fiesta.

Firstly, although they were all old cars, the larger ones physical size and weight would have protected me more in the event of an accident.

In addition, their higher power output helps on a number of levels.

Dodgy motorway situations are often best accelerated out of - something the Fiesta just couldn't do.

The larger cars were less adversely affected by the number of passengers - an old Fiesta with 5 up isn't exactly nippy or agile.

In the Fiesta, momentum was everything. The faster you went round a corner, the less speed you needed to put back on to get back to 'cruise' speed. The result being that the Fiesta was always far closer to it's grip limit in corners than the larger cars, which had the capacity to slow down to a more appropriate speed, and then speed up again once clear of the corner/hazard.
Hawesy - Agreed totally, I had one too and wasn't keen, the move to my Fiesta Ghia 16V was a revelation and then things improved again with my MK6 one.

Blue
How do we protect young drivers? - hillman
I was about to propose that all young people must progress gradually, from bicycle to motorcycle to car, with at least a year between steps, and attending training courses for each. Then I remembered how totally stupid I was both on bicycle and motorcycle. It's not that I was crazy, or a speed merchant, and I had nobody to impress, but that I was so thoughtless in my inexperience. There was no tuition available to me to teach me how to go about things, and much more importantly, to make me do things correctly. I am really luck to be alive. But, after a few falls off a motorcycle at up to 40 mph I am a more cautious driver.
How do we protect young drivers? - P3t3r
We should set an example! Most drivers drive like complete idiots, think they're great drivers, and then new drivers end up gaining these habits that these 'experienced' drivers have.

In my opinion I have never really been a bad driver since passing my test, although I've made a few mistakes in the past which I have learned from. However the one thing that probably saved me was following the highway code etc. (ie. not driving like an idiot).

Advanced driving would be a good idea for ALL drivers. Since getting my own car I have been developing my skills, and recently joined the IAM. I have got my test at the start of next month.

I also think it would be better to improve ALL drivers rather than just the new drivers. You can get away with just about any mistake on the roads, but if somebody else is makes a mistake (or is driving badly) at the same time then things can turn bad.

In my oppinion, in almost all accidents both parties are partly to blame. I suspect that a lot of new driver's accidents are partly caused by other drivers. I frequently see tailgaters in front of me, and then when something ahead happens they slam their brakes on. Before I know it I'm almost in the back of them. I have learnt to work around this, but I still get caught out occasionally when their driving is really erratic. Very few drivers drive differently when tailgaters are around, but I think it's important for us to recognise these risks. This would help other roads users (such as new drivers) as well as ourselves.

Restricting the engine size is stupid!

You also need to understand that people will always die in cars, young and old. Sometimes you've just got to move on and except that it's unfeasible to do anything about it. I don't want anymore of these people who start 'speed kills' campaigns just because they're upset about something.

You didn't say what the cause of the accident was, was the young driver at fault?

btw I'm 21 years old.