RE: Economic viability -Do i sell or not - AK76
I have an Alfa 156. Paid £2.6k in march from auction. Current value around that if not a little more.

I have a quandry though. Shall i sell it or not?

Reason i'm thinking this is that next april it will require a new cambelt plus major service - talking probably £5-600.

Now based on the value is it worth selling it whilst it has 6 months MOT, is not due a service for 7 months and is about as sellable as its gonna get for a while.

I really like the car but its only a car so not too stuck on it. Thing is what else would i get for £3k that is like it at auction.

Hmm, any ideas?
RE: Economic viability -Do i sell or not - artful dodger {P}
If the car is reliable and you like it then I would keep it. Cam belts and major services are always going to be needed. Yes £5-600 sounds a lot in one hit but you could have them done separately to spread the cost.

If you decide to change then you may buy something that could have a major fault and cost a similar amount to fix.

Do not forget that changing your car will also involve altering your insurance, and there is always extra cost with this. Again you may find that a new car needs road tax.

I always believe changing cars frequently is one of the quickest ways of loosing money, hence my recommendation to keep it. It could be summed up as "It's better the Devil you know".

Hope this helps.

Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to add to the thread.
RE: Economic viability -Do i sell or not - AK76
Yes some good points thanks.

The biggest issue is going back to auction and buying a dog. So could be a false economy.

The insurance isnt too much of an issue as the 156 is quite hefty for what it is and so a change will be similar if not less.

I reckon that i could sell it for what i paid plus update, and service costs from april, and pretty much recoup what i paid therefore making it a depreciation free event.

Like the thought on doing it seperately. sounds simple but i'd only thought of doing it together!
RE: Economic viability -Do i sell or not - smokie
Similar dilemma here - want to change (cos I've had the current car a number of years) but don't want to change (cos I still enjoy current car).

I'm tending towards going to the auction to buy something I'd like, then putting both up for sale and keeping whichever one doesn't sell... Either way I still have a car I'd like. If I sell the newly bought one I might even make a few bob towards keeping the old one going...!
RE: Economic viability -Do i sell or not - ablandy
you should stick to the alfa. They dont seem to sell very well at the moment. Been trying to sell mine for quite some time. (although thats maybe down to price). Havent had a single enquiry.

for £3k it is a lovely car. If its the 2.0, get the belt done at about 50, not the 72 (i think) in the manual. They seem to go early and munch the engine (mine did - a costly repair)

mine is the selespeed sportwagon, which caused a few probs. Reckon if i had the manual i would have been much happier and would be keeping it.

apparently the 2.5 v6 is the one to get, from what i hear a very nice, reliable engine.

Andy
RE: Economic viability -Do i sell or not - CJay{P}
If you have had depreciation fee motoring for 6+ months, I think you should sell and try and repeat the same. In my book, you have already 'saved' at least £750.

Out of interest, would you mind sharing the exact spec, age, milage, etc. of the car. I am keen to try something like what you seemed to have achieved.