Peugeot 205 GTi 1.6 starting problem - Foxy
I recently purchased a Peugeot 205 gti 1.6 and set about repairing all the bits that had dropped off. After changing the head gasket I found the car would not run. It turned over, would catch briefly then die.

After setting up the throttle position sensor I managed to get it to run and it did so for a few days. However last night the car started to cut out when the clutch was depressed, or when left idling for any period of time, but restarted at the first turn of the key. This morning it cut out at the first junction I came to and refused to start, just as it was before I set up the throttle position sensor(which may or may not be a coincidence). Just prior to it cutting out, a relay under the steering coloumn can be heard to click twice. Sometimes it clicks just once when idling without the car staling.

Any ideas would be much appreciated?? (sorry for the lengthy post)
Peugeot 205 GTi 1.6 starting problem - pug3
It may be a problem with the fuel pump relay, which is quite common, and is positioned under the drivers side dash.

A recent thread had a similar problem

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=33526
Peugeot 205 GTi 1.6 starting problem - thomp1983
could be the ignition module, small unit on passenger side suspension strut under bonnet, easy to check disconnect the king lead from coil, disconnect ignition module wire plug then reconnect it, turn car over with king lead off, then reconnect king lead and it should fire first time, if it is this i have a spare you can have?

chris
Thanks for the suggestions guys.I've just tried what you suggested Chris and it didn't start first time after reconnecting the coil.However, I then turned the ignition on and off 4 or 5 times to listen for the fuel pump operating and then when I tried starting it burst in to life, then cut out again after about a minute, but it does restart now. Any thoughts??
do you have the ignition module on your passenger suspension strut then? if so send me your address and ill mail you the ignition module ive got as it's no use to me i wrote my 205 off about a week after i changed it and at least then you'll definately know it's not that

chris
Peugeot 205 GTi 1.6 starting problem - Hugo {P}
Foxy

If you haven't already done so, click on thomp's user id to reveal his e mail address.
Chris, that would be a massive help.

Tell me your email address and I'll let you have my home address. Tried clicking on your user I.D. but your profile is hidden.

Neil.
ive changed my profile now so you can get my email address by clicking on my username above

chris