VW Passat Oil Change - New2TDI
Hi All,

I am due to service my 2001 1.9TDI (PD) [just cleared 101000 miles]. The car has been serviced by VW up until now but due to the cost and age of the car I have decided to go else where. In this case Nationwide AA service centre near by.

According to the handbook I require VW 505.01 oil. At Nationwide they told me that they would use a Magnatec GTD which I believe is VW 505. Now should I be worried that about this not being exactly what the handbook states? I have heard that the VW enigine has sensors that pick up certain chemicals in the oil and if they are not present the ECU switchs to safe mode. Is this just an urban myth?

Thanks
New2TDI
VW Passat Oil Change - oilman
You must use 505.01 as this is a specific PD oil.

It will be a 5w-40, do not use 505.00

Cheers
Simon
VW Passat Oil Change - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
VW 505. is not a complete oil spec. Might be VW 505.00 - an inferior to the correct stuff VW 505.01.
Stick to the right stuff for the reasons stated in other answers e.g. high pressure injection cam system, EGR valves fouling etc.
I believe that it is the cars with the extended service intervals that have an oil acidity sensor.But I am no expert.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
VW Passat Oil Change - New2TDI
Thanks guys.

Just to clarify are you saying that VW505.01 is 5w-40?

I have tried to find 505.01 at Halfords but they didn't have anything to this spec. Is there anywhere besides VW that I can get this? And does anyone know how much VW charge for 505.01?

Cheers
VW Passat Oil Change - Dave N
Are you sure you want to use a company that is intent on using the incorrect specification oil?

What filter will they use, a cheapy special from the local factor? - "That'll be alright mate, they're all the same"
VW Passat Oil Change - oldtoffee
>>Is there anywhere besides VW that I can get this?

If it helps - Millers Oils sell a specific oil for PD engines XFE - PD (which is a 5/40) and considerably less than VW want for theirs and less than Halfords want for the Castrol alternative.

www.millersoils.net
VW Passat Oil Change - Roberson
Or here:

secure.gsfcarparts.com/shop/shop.asp

If you type in the part number: 98002F, you should get 5 liters of Quantum 5-40 Fully synthetic.

According to the website this is suitable for PD engines and costs £24.50 for 5 liters
VW Passat Oil Change - John S
The performance spec. and the viscosity are not necessarily related!

Try

www.opieoils.co.uk/lubricants.htm

e-mail and request a price list for 505.01 spec oils

JS
VW Passat Oil Change - mark999
The Quantum oil is available at your VW dealer. Dont forget to ask for a discount. The last time I bought the fully Synthetic it was ~£22
VW Passat Oil Change - oilman
I have it on the shelf, just contact me via here.

www.opieoils.co.uk/lubricants.htm

Cheers
Simon
VW Passat Oil Change - colabora
Hi All,
I have just purchased a Valvoline PD diesel oil which meets VW 505.01 for my daughters Seat Ibiza Sport 130 TDI from my local supplier,in fact I have not found any others.Price is about £20 for 5 litres I think.
Hope this may be of interest.
Cheers.