7 seater, suitable for highlands needed - claire66
Currently I have a Zafira 1.6, 1999, live in town, 4 kids. Am moving to Scottish Highlands in the new year and want to change the car to something more suitable. Also, I may have a commute of 500 miles to come back and see Grandparents. I was looking at getting a second hand discovery, but have been told it would be difficult to park. I thought about the Kia Sedona, then looked that up on the web and found a site with numerous complaints about it. I'm not mechanically minded so it would need to be reliable. There's only an occasional need for the 6th/7th seat too.

thanks for any suggestions.
Claire
7 seater, suitable for highlands needed - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Disco is a favourite woman's car for the school run round here, Derbyshire, and as for shortage of parking space in the Scottish Highlands- well!
Get a decent test drive before comitting to anything and check out the local garages/dealers. They may be few and far between.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
7 seater, suitable for highlands needed - No FM2R
You need to find out if you're comfortable driving a large vehicle before you buy anything. You also need to learn how to drive them; with some of them its quite different to how a car handles, drives and stops.

Having said that, a Landcruiser would fit the bill. They're 8 seaters, will go anywhere, are very reliable, tolerable on fuel if you get the diesel, and come with toys if you want them.
7 seater, suitable for highlands needed - Happy Blue!
Any larger MPV with a diesel engine would do. We have the Hyundai Trajet and are very happy with it. It has been faultless for one year and 10,000miles since new and whilst it is slow when cold, once the engine warms up it is tolerably quick and cruises very well.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
7 seater, suitable for highlands needed - peterb
Do you also need to consider location of nearest dealer?
7 seater, suitable for highlands needed - claire66
thanks, quite fancy the Landcruiser, I drive dh's Nissan X-trail a bit, I like the way I feel safe higher up and I can park it too. It's just not big enough for the extra passengers.

I would def. go for the diesel.

7 seater, suitable for highlands needed - BobbyG
Grand Scenic? Depending on where you are going in the Highlands, the need for a 4x4 may be negated. Just back from the Fort William area and the cottage owners said that they hadn't had a serious snow fall for 2 years and even then, the roads are all cleared very quickly.

Would think a Grand Scenic or something similar would be more economical for around town, and certainly for trips to visit the grandparents.

Also, re your original post, don't get put off purely because of negative comments on a website. Human nature dictates that when you are happy with a product you will very rarely go on a website to say it, but when you are unhappy you most certainly will!
7 seater, suitable for highlands needed - tyro
"something more suitable"

Sorry, I'm not with you. I live in the Highlands, and can't see what is unsuitable about a Zafira. Could you explain?
7 seater, suitable for highlands needed - defender
agree with tyro ,unless you are going to live at the end of a cart track any vehicleis as suitable in the highlands as any where else but if you post the nearest big town to where you are going someone might advise you of a good dealer.welcome and I hope you enjoy the highlands.
7 seater, suitable for highlands needed - Victorbox
I agree too. You already have a seven seater vehicle that is perfectly capable of comfortably carrying you and you family 500 miles. If you want something newer, the brand new Zafira is slightly bigger.