Audi A6 1.9TDi - Opinions? - PhilW
Brother in law has at present an Audi 1.8 petrol which has enjoyed but has now done over 140k. He is thinking of changing to a diesel A6 and has seen the 52 reg one quoted below in a main dealers for £12,800. He asked me what I thought!! Unfortunately I have no knowledge of these cars (among many other things!!)
I have sent him link to HJ CBCBD and to discussion which took place on here in June with regard to "Audi A6 - which diesel?" but wondered if anyone had any further opinions on these
Thanks
" Audi A6 1.9 TDI (130 PS) SE Silver with grey chess cloth interior. Specification includes 16in alloy wheels, anti-lock brakes, CD autochanger for 6 discs, climate control, driver, passenger and front side air bags, driver/passenger seat height adjustment, electric/heated Door mirrors, front fog lights, front/rear electric windows, front/rear head restraints"
Audi A6 1.9TDi - Opinions? - madf
Nice car. 1.9tdi is unsuitable for pulling skin off rice puddings imo.
madf
Audi A6 1.9TDi - Opinions? - Quinny100
The A6 isn't a particularly heavy car for its size - it weighs little more than a Passat so the performance should be acceptable rather than fast.

You can also get Revo or JabbaSport to flash the ECU to give 170bhp if you need a bit more power.
Audi A6 1.9TDi - Opinions? - MichaelR
My personal opinion on these is that they don't really make any sense unless you are anti BMW - the E39 5 Series is a better car. New A6 is really quite lovely, but out of budget.

I'd be looking at a 525d (Not 525TDS) SE instead.
Audi A6 1.9TDi - Opinions? - Roly93
My personal opinion on these is that they don't really make
any sense unless you are anti BMW - the E39 5
Series is a better car. New A6 is really quite lovely,
but out of budget.
I'd be looking at a 525d (Not 525TDS) SE instead.

>>
I agree with sentiment but think that a decent 5 series as described above would be a lot more money.
Audi A6 1.9TDi - Opinions? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
My Passat estate is the 100ps one.
Sorry , but it is not slow at all at normal road speeds.Even when loaded up with two bicycles, camping gear and lot of wine.
Keep it on the boil at max torque revs and the acceleration is fine.The more powerful diesel will be fine in an A6.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Audi A6 1.9TDi - Opinions? - Phil G
My father has an A6 Avant with 110 tdi. Acceleration isn't great, but absolutely fine for the way 99% of people drive. It will also do 130mph - Autobahn tested, so not exactly slow. 130PD with much more torque will be no prob.
My father has an A6 Avant with 110 tdi. Acceleration isn't
great, but absolutely fine for the way 99% of people drive.
It will also do 130mph - Autobahn tested, so not exactly
slow. 130PD with much more torque will be no prob.

>>
I have an A4 Avant TDI 130 and its performance is described as above. Frankly I dont know how they get people to spend the extra on the 2.5 TDi, on the A4 or A6 Avant.
Nice car. 1.9tdi is unsuitable for pulling skin off rice puddings
imo.
madf

>>
I would suspect then that you haven't driven one, or havent driven any VaG 'Pumpe Duse' engined diesel car.
Audi A6 1.9TDi - Opinions? - morettat
Absolutely fantastic car.

I've had exactly the same car for the past 4 years - and am only selling now because I don't need a car that large any more. My wife now has a Scenic so I'm going to get something small and fun.

It's the best car overall that I've ever owned. The engine is amazing - huge amounts of power to overtake on A roads, and very quiet when cruising along the motorway.

I'm often amazed that it is only 130bhp, and as others have said, I don't understand why people would go for a bigger Audi diesel as this is certainly good enough.
Audi A6 1.9TDi - Opinions? - Avant
"I have an A4 Avant TDI 130 and its performance is described as above. Frankly I dont know how they get people to spend the extra on the 2.5 TDi, on the A4 or A6 Avant".

The 2.5 is worth it if you want the multitronic, as I have; probably not as a manual. It's a lot more refined and I personally think the extra pulling power is worth having. It may be just me but the drone of most 4-cylinder automatics, particularly diesels, isn't a pleasant noise to live with.

I agre that as a manual the TDI 130 engine is terrific.

Audi A6 1.9TDi - Opinions? - Martin Sweeney
To echo the majority of the above responses the 1.9tdi, though not the most refined diesel, is an unbelievably strong engine whose performance will be a revelation after his 1.8 petrol. I test drove an A6 avant with this engine and it was fairly quick off the mark and a quiet and strong motorway cruiser. Avant is right about the multitronic with this engine but otherwise there should be no issues. If he could track down a 52 reg 525d for this money then it would definitely be worth serious consideration.
Audi A6 1.9TDi - Opinions? - barney100
I believe this is the same engine they put in Polos and I would think it would be underpowered in the Audi.
Audi A6 1.9TDi - Opinions? - nortones2
Its not that the PD130 is underpowered in the Audi, but its a revelation in the Polo and Fabia! Audi A6 with Multitronic drives as quickly as most would need, and when I've been in one on long trips, there was no shortage of performance, and it was very long-legged across in France/Belgium. Its the torque that matters: not the silly hp claims. Honda Civic 2.0 has 30 more hp nominally, but the ponies aren't very accessible, as peak torque is at 5,000rpm I think.
Audi A6 1.9TDi - Opinions? - cheddar
IIRC the Polo is 100ps not 130. The 130 ps engine could be more refined and the pre 2005 A6 does not handle as well as the 2005 model (though looks better IMO) however the performance is pretty lively and the engine does not have a problem pulling an A6 around.
Audi A6 1.9TDi - Opinions? - Buster Cambelt
The A6 is a very good car especially in SE guise. I have had one for years and have spent buttons on it. You should try both the 1.9 TDi and the 1.8T. Personally I much prefer the refinement and the power delivery of the petrol, which has masses of torque right up to 6000 rpm.
Audi A6 1.9TDi - Opinions? - Woody
Interesting comment above that the new A6 does not look as good as the old A6. I agree 100%

The new Audi corporate nose is ugly and has also spoilt the A4 which was a truely handsome car pre face lift.

The BMW 3 and 5 series still don't grow on me either in current guise.

Are the ugly taking over the world?
Audi A6 1.9TDi - Opinions? - tyro
Are the ugly taking over the world?

Matter of taste. I happen to agree with you, but no doubt I'm in a minority.
Audi A6 1.9TDi - Opinions? - Avant
"Matter of taste. I happen to agree with you, but no doubt I'm in a minority"

I wonder - maybe we'll find out if others come in here. I'm with you - one of the virtues of Audis is the understated good taste. The new grille is much too 'in-yer-face' and to me is reminiscent of the Ford Edsek which was such a flop in the USA in the late 1950s.
Audi A6 1.9TDi - Opinions? - cheddar
Interesting comment above that the new A6 does not look as
good as the old A6. I agree 100%
The new Audi corporate nose is ugly and has also spoilt
the A4 which was a truely handsome car pre face lift.

I agree 100%, the A4 is ruined front and rear ........
The BMW 3 and 5 series still don't grow on me
either in current guise.

.......... though I like the 3 and 5!
Audi A6 1.9TDi - Opinions? - Martin Sweeney
I can see that the new grill can divide opinion, which was probably what Audi wanted, and I have had a few comments that the new A6 looks too aggressive, is too big or that they preferred the grill on the old model, but not one comment that the car is ugly. Ugly compared to what? The overwhelming reaction from friends and colleagues has been hugely positive, echoing the opinion of the motoring press, that the car looks fantastic. I'm getting a real feelgood factor from this car like I used to get from the Alfa, before reliability problems soured me. Currently, I can?t think of many other mass market saloons that I?d rather be walking up to; well maybe the boss?s CLS500.

I think that the only realistic alternative, the 5, which was indeed great to drive, looked great from the front, a bit blah side on and God awful from the back. Likewise the 3 is great from the front, but the side is even duller and the back gives me the dry heaves. I also don?t think that the A4 facelift was success, especially the back.

It's horses for courses and all that and it'd be a very dull world if we all wanted to and could drive an A6, 5 series, Vectra, Mondeo, or indeed Kia Picanto.
Audi A6 1.9TDi - Opinions? - PhilW
Thanks for all the input, guys.