Speeding on Autoroutes in France - urban myth? - Nigel Hodgson
I've heard lots of times that it's possible to get nicked if you go too fast between the pay booths on French Autoroutes.

The theory is that by working out the distance and time it took to do it, then you can get nicked if your av. speed is too high.

While I accept the theory, does anybody KNOW of anybody who's got done like this?

If so it would imply that the clocks must be synchronised, and their accuracy monitored. Or would this be the first line of a defence?
Re: Speeding on Autoroutes in France - urban myth? - CM
Happened to my brother when taking a coach. I think that the cops are more interested in coaches/lorries rather than cars although I have seen speed traps on the autoroute
Re: Speeding on Autoroutes in France - urban myth? - Andrew Barnes
I travelled Paris to Calais on Wednesday morning - average speed ... 110 mph, cars were passing me!

Andrew
Re: Speeding on Autoroutes in France - urban myth? - Nigel Hodgson
Was this done using the tickets from the payages?
Yes - they worked out the average speed and gave him a big fine. But apart from that I have never heard of anyone being stopped and having lived in France for 3 years was never stopped myself except for Customs who often hung around at the payages
Re: Speeding on Autoroutes in France - urban myth? - Honest John
If you pay cash that gives them a chance to inspect your ticket. If you use the automated barriers it doesn't.

HJ
Re: Speeding on Autoroutes in France - urban myth? - humpy
The speeding situation is getting worse in France, I regularly see police or a trap on the A1. If the police stop you in their trap they have no evidence what speed you were doing. They normally use the two light beam type detector i.e. what's to time lapse between you going through the first light and the second. Completely undetectabe! and if you argue about it as I heard one person did, they're quite happy to sit there with you until you pay, as simple as that! They don't bother with evidence or anything like that. And they're not interested unless you're doing more than 200kmh.
Re: Speeding on Autoroutes in France - urban myth? - Graham
1 important flaw, there is often services between pay booths, and 110-120mph in an 1.8 A4 with ski box on top = crap MPG so filling up between toll booths, therefore lower ave speed, worked for me last year!
so presumably if you drove slower, got a better mpg, you would arrive at the same time having used less fuel (and been safer)?
sorry mum......

:-)

As per Andrew Barnes post plenty of people going much faster than me and very few people doing <95mph therefore probably more dangerous to go slow than adapt your driving style (look further ahead etc etc etc) and go with the flow.
just being parsimonious....son!

When in France drive like the French do (or at least as fast as they do but not quite as close)
Re: Speeding on Autoroutes in France - urban myth? - Dan J
I remember a visit to Calais once and I only drove from the ferry to Citie Europe - The speed limits were saying 110kph, I was driving about 130ish (80mph) and I was being overtaken by virtually every French car on the road and at a significantly higher speed bar a couple of 2CVs who were struggling for obvious reasons...
parsimonious : extreme frugality, meanness, stinginess.
who said parents don't partake in kids education today
Thanks mum :-)
Re: Speeding on Autoroutes in France - urban myth? - Tomo
CM -

Yes and no.

Yes, better mpg.

No, more boring and therefor more dangerous.