Vauxhall Astra DTI non starter - angiet
Hi, My Astra wouldn't start today out of the blue. Called out the RAC who jump started it then it proceded to splutter a bit with battery light & engine lights flickering and no power steering. After stopping it and jump starting it again things seemed to go back to normal, so I drove home being followed by the RAC man. When I arrived home and turned it off it started again no problems, the RAC guy tested the battery again and it seemed to be fine. I have just checked it again now (a couple of hours later) and it is completely dead, it won't even open the central locking. When I turned on the ignition it didn't turn over at all but there was a clicking noise coming from a box in the engine which has large fuses in it(???) I'm not convinced that it is the battery has anyone any ideas?

I would appreciate any help, thank you.

Angie.
Vauxhall Astra DTI non starter - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Slightly odd this one. Immediate reaction is a failed cell in the battery except for the power steering bit, my guess is that the two-piece crank pulley has failed so that the inner bit bolted to the crank spins but the rubber bonding the outer pulley (the bit the belt goes round)splits. This would cause the belt not to be driven properly so the battery doesnt recharge fully. Once the battery voltage falls below a certain level then it wont have enough power to pull in the starter relay (clicking from the fusebox) and start the engine. I have had this problem a number of times, mainly Peugeots but a few GM cars as well.
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
Vauxhall Astra DTI non starter - elekie&a/c doctor
I would suggest that the charging system /alternator be checked.Any problem here will cause the battery to discharge & also the PAS to malfunction (the system is electronic not belt driven)