S400 CDI not strong enough ? - Vincent de Marco
My brother's into body-building and I've just saw an interview with The World's Strongest Man in one of his magazines.
Apparently he officially hates his Merc S400 CDI. To name just a few:
- new turbo after just 4 months,
- false readings from Distronic cruise control (they all do it sir),
- 7-speed autobox which caused five calls for a taxi.

Is that 7G Tronic box made my Merc or ZF ?
- - - - - - -
I am the only Pole over here.
S400 CDI not strong enough ? - Aprilia
The 7G-Tronic is Mercedes' 5th-generation auto transmission.

Quite why we need 7 gears is a mystery to me (especially when the transmission has a torque convertor, which is a kind of limited CVT). I wouldn't have thought that there were many customers for a £50k car who were worried about getting an extra 0.6 litres per 100km. From a drivetrain perspective there are very limited gains to be had from going above five speeds. BTW - DC's next transmission development will be an eight-speeder!
From a drivetrain
perspective there are very limited gains to be had from going
above five speeds.

Hhmm... but what about a driver perspective (comfort etc.) ?
- - - - - - -
I don't think that increased frequency of gear shifts makes the drive more comfortable....
Engine would have a very narrow power band to benefit from 7 ratios. Bear in mind that a typical torque convertor has a variable conversion ratio spanning the range 1:1 - 2:1.

Chief impact of installing a 7-speed transmission will be to hit residual values - because these things will not be viably reapairable after about 4-5 years and the car will be scrapped if the ATX fails.
these things will not be viably reapairable
after about 4-5 years and the car will be scrapped if
the ATX fails.

4-5 years ... ? That's a blink of an eye for such a car.
- - - - - - -
I mean that after 4-5 years the car will not be worth enough to justify a factory exchange 7-speed auto. I doubt that independents will be rebuilding these 'boxes.
S400 CDI not strong enough ? - Colonel Panic
Sounds like my idea of bliss, a nice car noone wants!
Autoboxes aren't that hard to rebuild - nice size, easy to undo bolts, just need a to be very well organised to remember how everything came out! And the parts are sure to be available from the USA (probably from WalMart, if not Transtec) I reckon too many people are scared of autoboxes by the exploded diagrams.
Autoboxes aren't that hard to rebuild - nice size, easy to
undo bolts, just need a to be very well organised to
remember how everything came out! And the parts are sure to
be available from the USA (probably from WalMart, if not Transtec)
I reckon too many people are scared of autoboxes by
the exploded diagrams.

Ahem, there's a bit more to rebuilding an autobox than just remembering how the bits cam out (that would be quite a feat of memory on a modern auto!). Undoing bolts isn't a major factor in repairing these either. It takes a good deal of skill and experience to (a) diagnose the likely problem by driving the car before the box is stripped, and (b) identifying faulty parts once the box is in pieces. Have you ever actually had a valve body apart in front of you?

I've rebuilt a few simple boxes (A4LD, GM180, BW35 and a couple of 4HP14 and 4HP22's) and they worked OK afterwards, but I wouldn't want to tackle one of the latest 5+ speed 'boxes. I suspect these units with 6+ speeds are part of car makers 'transmission wars' - trying to catch sales.

Well, it's a Merc you know... There's a new saying among the Germans which came up just recently: "Nothing breaks down like a brand new Mercedes-Benz".
- - - - - - -
S400 CDI not strong enough ? - Avant
My memory goes back to the first Austin A40 (late 40s - early 50s) which was thought very advanced in having a 4-speed gearbox as opposed to the 3 that current Fords and Vauxhalls had.

Then it was another Austin, the Maxi, in 1969 which was the first mid-market car with 5 gears (no doubt someone will tell us which was the absolute first). Now 6 in the lat few years, and 7-speed automatics...

Surely a 7-speed manual would be OTT - it makes one wonder if automotive development has reached a plateau. Is there any development in the pipeline, short of a completely new type of engine runnning on some diffeent fuel, which will make a real difference?

If anything we seem to be moving backwards in some areas, such as starter buttons, poor rear visibility, no proper handbrake, no spare wheel.....
"...The 7G-Tronic, another Mercedes-Benz world first, is an automatic transmission with 7 forward gears for smoother, faster gear changes and 2 reverse gears for each driving mode. This creates a reduction in average engine speeds and benefits fuel consumption as well as reducing noise..."

So - noise reduction, I knew it all along, that obviously matters while cruising on the autobahn...
- - - - - - -
Can't see how having more ratios reduces noise. Having a higher top gear might well do. Like I say, having a torque convertor effectively gives you a 1:1-2:1 kind of 'CVT' range. So choose the right set of five gears and add a TC - with a reasonably flexible engine that should be enough. I'm convinced additional gearsets above 6 are just marketing.