Rubber boots for shocks - DrJack
The rubber boots that sit inside the springs surrounding the shocks in the back of my car are finished. Is this need urgent replacement or be part of my preparation for the MOT?
Rubber boots for shocks - Dynamic Dave
The rubber boots (or gators to give them their proper title) are there to help prevent dirt and grit from getting on the shock absorber shaft and subsequently to prevent the rubber seals from being torn when the shaft goes up and down. Not sure if it's an MOT failure for the gators to be torn, but if not replaced soon the shocks could get damaged and that then will be an MOT failure.
Rubber boots for shocks - martint123
Its a common problem with MX-5's. The boots go after a few years. Mine are very tatty after 15 years. Never mentioned at MOT time and they are chatty there and would have said if it was a potential problem. No sign of ingress of grit or anything to the shocks (and they are originals).

Martin
Rubber boots for shocks - sierraman
Or gaiters to be even more proper,'gators being an American contraction for alligators,not something you want in the back of your car;)
Rubber boots for shocks - Cyd
Like Dave, I'm not sure that the shot boots themselves would be a MoT failure. However i agree that by allowing road spray, salt and dirt to get directly onto the working shaft of the shocks their life is likely to be seriously shortened.

I suspect that to replace the boots you will need to completely dismantle the spring/shock assembly off the car. If this is the case, then because of the amount of work required just to replace the boots I would give serious consideration to replacing the shocks. If they have done 60k or more you will get added value from this and shouldn't feel short changed.

I wouldn't put this down as an urgent job, but do keep a regular eye on how things play out. Depending on where you live and your mileage one winter could see your shocks off without protection.
Rubber boots for shocks - Colonel Panic
I don't know what car you have, but If I was removing the dampers and I'd replace them as the effort is more than the cost (usually around £20 each unless the vehicle is unusual, special, or japanese)